When will Mazda learn?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  When will Mazda learn?

Well, Mazda seems to be the manufacturer to go when we are talking about lying about a particular car's rated power. They were accused and proven wrong about the 1st generation Miata's rated power. Then came along the RX-8 in which was first rated at 247hp, but then lowered to 238hp after they found out it made nowhere near 247 crank hp. As well we all know (if you've ever seen a dynojet of a RX-8) it makes only about 180-185rwhp (putting it around 215-220hp at the crank).

Well, MAzda has done it again. This time, the new 2006 2.0L MX-5 Miata. Rated at 170hp and 140tq. According to this dyno it put down an unimpressive 134rwhp and a very impressive 124tq to the wheels. Using the standard forumla for drivetrain loss on a dynojet this puts it's power at about 158-160hp and 145-146tq at the crank. I guess they decided it's okay to overrate horsepower now if they underrate torque? Come on Mazda, stop lying!

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=420700

posted by  thunderbird1100

That is a pretty stupid thing to do...but they make some really nice cars too...great, now I have a dilemma :doh: :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

I wonder if they are over rating the new 2006 Mazdaspeed Mazda6s horsepower, 276hp I think it is?

posted by  SlipKnoT

Havent seen any dynos of that. Hard to find AWD dynos.

Eh, whats 10 horsepower.

posted by  Oomba

Manufacturers aren't supposed to OVERRATE on horsepower period. Whether it's only 10hp like on the new Miata or 20-25hp like on the RX-8. The whole point of the thread is cracking down on Mazda's OCD issue with overrating engines.

Plus even if it only adds up to 160hp and it's rated at 170hp then that's a 6% lie. Put this in bigger terms with a car with more horsepower. Let's take the new GTO with 400hp. If they overrated it 6% it would be ~425hp. That's a pretty big damn difference in my book. You always have to look at the bigger picture...

Your Message