Idle issues and smoke.

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Idle issues and smoke.

I JUST purchased a 91 civic hb with a d16 zc and a turbo.
Problem 1
When i first start the car, the idle jolts between 1000 and .2 up and down almost dying. How do i fix that? Spark plugs perhaps? Also when im driving, if the vac gets between 5-10 it sputters, anything above 10 no prob, and when it gets to the psi side of the gauge, also no problems.
Problem 2
The car seems to smoke around 1st and 2nd, pretty bad. The emissions are fine it because IT DID pass in california. I purchased it out of california and i live here in arizona. The guy said the oil needs changed, so would that be the solution for the Smoking?

Thanks For Helping!!!

posted by  C c C

O.O if its smoking that bad you better get it done SOON and ye sthat could be a cause, but hopefully not that will kill your engine. :banghead:

posted by  Pythias

Well its smoking bad, but not bad bad. i mean its smoking when i take off and all, but when im cruising, no smoke. I Hope its the oil :doh:

posted by  C c C

i bet that whoever owned it before, did the same to it as wat happened to my friend's ex-nitroused'ed eclipse. the previous owner had adjusted the stock ECU to run rich in the lower rpms so he could use the nitrous. i bet the previous owner of your car did the same but for the turbo.....

posted by  Inygknok

the smoking is probably your turbo. seals go bad and they smoke. the guy probably sold it to ya because he didnt want to fix it. turbos arent cheap

posted by  glagon1979

i have a feeling it is running rich because you can smell the raw gas, he said he threw bigger injecters in there... i have the stock ones that he gave me, would that help at all if i put those in?

posted by  C c C

Ill agree with that.

Also, was the car babied around town alot? I mean like, did the previous owner ever really just punch the gas and let it get to red-line alot, or did he just grandma it around?

posted by  SlipKnoT

he grandmad it from hell, he was 2nd owner since 97. After he sold me the car, (which was originally from hawaii), he was like saying something in hawaiian and then kissed the hood before he walked away... I think he loved his car ALOT. He even told me he speeded a little bit on the way, doing 70, instead of 65. that seemed hardcore for him i guess. He did kno alot of sh*t he was talking about, so i doubt he would sell me it all f'd up. Reason for selling was moved to california to go to college, but has a commuter car. All sounds reasonable to me

posted by  C c C

your valve stem seals might be done for, mine are on my laser, they're about $20 for a new set.

they're also fairly easy to fix, all you have to do is take the block apart until you get to the valve's and then change the seal's, fairly simple.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Hm, im taking it to the tokyo speed pros tomorrow, gonna have them tune it and change the injectors, i hope thats the issue and nothing worse

posted by  C c C

well i didnt take it to them, decided to do it myself.. i swapped the injectors. WOAH. huge defference, car is alot smoother.. doesnt bog out.. still having issues with the idle tho :banghead:
The car idles like a harley until the engine check light turns on, then it purs.. any idea wut it could be?

posted by  C c C

theres also the issue that MOST stock sensors on MOST stock automobiles arent fabricated to compensate for the modification of being N/A and then changed into F/I. usually, the sensors think that "boost" is actually excess air coming in when it shouldnt, so they tell the ECU its an error.

posted by  Inygknok

Check your oxygen sensor.

posted by  Wally

Sounds like your mass air flow sensor, or your idle air control.

posted by  SlipKnoT

my oxygen sensor is fine, the bolt on the idle adjustment is stripped :cussing:

Also i failed emissions horribly yesterday... failed on my gas cap and the pressure test... any simple solutions?

Also im 4 times over the legal cabron monoxide limit.. any suggestions??

posted by  C c C

Advance the timing and lean the mixture.

posted by  Wally

Actually if its the ECU telling it that there is too much air coming in it won't even go, it'll bog down after about 2 seconds. We disconnected the air hose on my grandpa's 03 SE-R and it didn't even idle, it just started to shut off because it thought there was something wrong

posted by  99integra

well i fixed my idle issues and smoke issues by swapping some DIFFERENT injectors in, fuel system cleaner, tightened the bolt on the throttle cable... and threw on a new exhaust system with a cat, which never had... bought a new gas cap and i think thats about it... now the car runs greater than ever... but now theres a new problem...

car ran great today for a while.. then my turbo began to trip out and has all day... :cussing:
The car runs fine, no problems.. but when i go to floor it, i feel a resistance through the turbo... its set at 6 psi.. but when i smash on it.. the psi gause shows it going above that to almost 8 .. which causes it to bog and resist the power when i floor it, until it reaches about 6,300 rpms.. when its too late and i ave to shift... WTF is wrong with it now?? help please!!!

posted by  C c C

Can anyone help???

posted by  C c C

What did you do to the exhaust? It sounds like you have introduced stall and creep and possibly leaned out too much.

posted by  Wally

i had a cat put on it

My turbo feels like its not even doing its job... :banghead:

posted by  C c C

About that idle, check your IAC valve, TPS, and your MAP Sensor. I had a similar idle problem because I had 4 dead spots on my TPS and not to mention a huge Vacuum Leak. Oh, check for those too. I swapped out the GSR Intake Manifold i had on my B16 and threw in a 99 SI intake manifold along with a brand spankin new IAC valve and TPS. Idle's perfectly know. Good Luck :thumbs: .

posted by  elchango36

nah, not always. ppl usually set the idle point higher than stock to stop the car from shutting off. also, the car usually bogs badly until its warmed up, then it just idles sort of crappy.

look it up.

posted by  Inygknok

well i checked all my vacuum hoses, the car idle great now :thumbs:

From always having non-turbo'd cars, how do i turn up the boost on mine?
:oops:

posted by  C c C

Btw its a t28 turbo, anyone know how to turn the boost up??

posted by  C c C

Your Message