Why?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Why?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-SHOW-CAR-TURBO-SKYLINE-CONVERSION_W0QQ itemZ4582273224QQcategoryZ6254QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why would someone spend that much money to do that, when they could just buy a skyline for about the same price?

posted by  jdubya

That's a sweet interior, and the engine has some mods...doesn't really look too bad either...I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I actually like this car... :oops:

posted by  chris_knows

the car looks alright, but i dont understand why they did that still.

posted by  jdubya

People with too much money, and don't Skylines go for like $50,000?

posted by  chris_knows

I have actually seen that car before on the street and it looked awesome. AT first i though it was a skyline and i was like ohh yeah first time ever i see a skyline :laughing: and then i look at the back of it and all i realize that an accord so i was dissapointed :orglaugh: Now as far saying that skyline costs the same that is no way thats true. Skyline would cost like 40k to buy new, then like 5k to import at least. Then you have to make it legal in the US and thats around 15k. ( i am not totally sure about price) SO as you can see thats 55k. Now also some mods like this one would cost you some money so bassically u would spend 60k+ if you would buy a skyline.

posted by  V-Tec

I don't think it's that bad. The paint color is decent, the exterior doesn't have gaudy graphics or oversized wings. I'm not a fan of the Gucci interior bits, but it looks to have a decent engine/trans package. I'd say it's a customized Accord rather than a Skyline, however, as saying it's a Skyline clone looks like a poseur, vs simply being customized (just like a '50 Mercury with a '55 Desoto grille wasn't trying to BE a '55 Desoto, just a custom '50 Mercury).

He has a bit invested, but I'd say a good chunk of that is in the Gucci name brand stuff and the stereo which isn't included in the sale.

I like the integration of the taillights, but I'd change the openings on the front bumper just to smooth it out.

Yeah, you can often "buy" stuff that is already done out of the box, like a stock Skyline. But often there is pride and enjoyment in the hobby of making something yourself. Until you do it, you often won't understand that feeling.

posted by  ChrisV

The interior is probably where he spent at least 1/3 of that $30,000. Honestly, that's a very clean Accord (clean in a modification sense, not stock looking or of that sort). He doesnt have a gaudy wing (Although the interior is quite gaudy) and the front rear lights are integrated quite nicely. He has quite a good amount of performance mods too, really strengthened up that F23. The sound system isn't too impressive by my means but that's a typical "look I have JL Audio" for a show car. He spent probably a good amount on the sound system though, looks like those are old 10" W6's (probably spent about $300 a piece on those) and the Kicker amp new is about $250-$300. The HU looks to be a screen display one so that's another $1,000-$1,500 (typical of show cars to have them). I'm sure he replaced the door speakers and rear deck as well so we can guess anywhere from $200-$600 for that probably.

I bet he's putting down at least a good 300whp on the nitrous if he's running near stock boost that they recommend on a stock engine (Which I think the FMAX kit is 7psi). Since he has beefed up the internals though I'm sure he could easily squeeze 12-15psi out of though for around 375whp (with the right tuning). I wonder what the reserve is on it, I'm guessing close to $18,000-$22,000 at least.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Thats a pretty long throw shifter for a car with that many mods...

posted by  Oomba

Also known as the stock shifter, just with a new boot and knob. A short throw shifter would only take a tenth or two off it's 1/4 mile time, no biggie.

Because the SKyline isn't available in the US?

Anyways the interior looks a bit bland for a show car, I'd get the centre console retrimmed straight away!!

posted by  fudge

nice car btw do you guys think one of the simplest cars to convert to a skyline look would be an acura legend?

posted by  ToshoRcing

I have no idea how trustworthy this information is, but someone told me that in 2007 we are going to be able to get Skylines here in the U.S. But he also said that they were going to go for like $75,000. So even after all those mods that car may still be cheaper than a real Skyline. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it is a pretty cool car. I am going to be really pissed now if I find out that guy was lying to me about Skylines coming here and their prices.

posted by  chris945

ok dude did u read my post i said u can buy em in Japan for like 40k import em here and convert them for 20k tops. So if u really want one just do that and it will only cost you around 60k.

posted by  V-Tec

Technically we already get them in the US. The Skyline is available here as the Infiniti G35. The GT-R version has been turned into a separate model, and wil likely not get the Skyline name next time around, even in Japan.

Remember, there have been more than just the GT-R versions, including non turbo Skylines and 4 door Sklylines in Japan and Some of the rest of the world.

posted by  ChrisV

I like the car, especially since it has the FMAX/Turbonetics turbo kit on it. If I were him I wouldn't have done the skyline conversion stuff, just stopped after the body kit. Doing all of the conversion stuff probably cost double the body kit.
:2cents:

posted by  Accord_Man

I dont understand why people waste their money on Gucci interior. I bet he dropped 3-5k on just the interior.

posted by  torinoman80

You could buy a supercharger for that. And personally, I know which one I would choose. :2cents:

posted by  hondaman

It's a show car and Louis Vuttion and Gucci interiors are somehow becoming popular now... So that's why.

Although true could you not find some interior of almost the same quality-minus the name brand? Or is because it being show one of the reason for the name-brand interior. I wouldn't think the namebrand would matter too much but I dunno....

posted by  Pythias

Exactly what i was gonna say until i read your responce. The show cars most important parts are the interior and ext not performance. It's good if you have some performance but it wont hurt you if you dont. As long as everything looks good ( including engine and all that) then you're fine.

posted by  V-Tec

Why bother when he already had a pretty decent turbocharger setup on his modded engine?

posted by  ChrisV

I know, just a comparison in general between getting a Gucci interior or getting a supercharger. For him I guess it doesn't matter. :2cents:

posted by  hondaman

IT wouldn't appeal as much w/o the name. Afterall that how brand names like Louis Vuttion and Gucci work. Without the name they are just as ugly as most everything else out there, with the name it's "OMG, dude that's the best!".

Thats awesome. Nice to have a car like that because its unique

posted by  6000LE

Your Message