Projekt D15B7 At A Glance.. .

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Projekt D15B7 At A Glance.. .

Ok this is my idea for an engine that i now have the time considering i just blew a hole in my bottom block last night.

This winter i plan on buing a crate D15B7 block and building it up, this is the plans for the block;

*D15b7 block
*D16z7 non-vtec head
*Skunk2 intake manifold
*4-1 Exhaust manifold
*3in. exhaust with no catilytic converter or reservoir with on flex tube
*3 to 4inch APEXi muffler
*Type-R pistons
*Intercooled intake system
*TenzoR racing head valve
*crower i-beam connecting rods
*AEM high volume fuel rail
*B&M command flo fuel pressure regulator
*GReddy oil cooling kit
*AEM tru time cam adjustable sprockets
*Zex quicktyme camshaft
*Skunk2 throttle body
*AEM EMS for complete diagnostics
*AEM spark plug covers
*Greddy oil catch tank
*Boroso oil pan
*stage 2 clutch
*lightweight flywheel
*MSG ignition
*NGK plugs
*B&M full short throw shift kit

this is what i plan on buying starting next week throught january and begin building the engine with. NOTE* that i do not plan on installing this all into a coupe, hatchback, or a crx. This will all be installed into my 4dr 95 lx sedan, you may be laughing at the idea but when you see how the performance of a swapped sedan can hug a road and outperform a supra you will relize anything is possible.

i have modified the sedan by removing all a/c colling accessories, removed the heater core, replaced the rear seats with thin padded foam injected custom made bucket seat replica's that are removeable. removed cruise conrtol and ecu. removed SRS(airbag system), removed sound system,custom placed fog lights below the head lights facing the corners of the car to increase visibility of object or animals at areas that the highbeams cannot reach when driving down contry road at high speeds here in wisconsin.
reply what you think and this swap should be complete by the end of january early febuary.

posted by  Projekt_2nr

i love it....

posted by  Projekt_2nr

All that crap for an old tired D15?

Why not get a B18b1 for $800? Much better starting point. Also a B16a1 is only $1500. Why bother with a D series?

posted by  thunderbird1100

I think that looks like a wicked build, but I'm entitled to agree with Thunderbird on this one. Why start with a D-series?

Not that I can talk... I have an EB2 and an ER1 project sitting in my garage. The EB2 is bored 2mm over with a stroker crank and forged pistons... and I haven't touched it since then. The ER1 is sitting in the chassis waiting for me to find time to wire the little monster.

posted by  Bino

the stock d15b7 will pull a stock ex coupe with a v-tec, if you didn't already know, but tyhe reason why im doing a d-series is because everyone else that i know wants a swap for the more stock horsepower and torque ratings. but the d15b7 can take more of a beating and higher horsepower in the 300+ range, i have a T24 turbo just laying around that i was gonna put on the engine. i find this block one of the best engine building blocks made by honda, because lets say you go buy an si coupe and swap a gsr like most people do which is stupid because they could have done that with an ex and saved a lot of money and turbo the gsr swap which would also be stupid unless it was a big turbo for top-end power. combining a turbo and a v-tev just leads to problems cuz the v-tec overrides the turbo power which can build pressure in the block and blow the engine, iv'e seen it happen plenty of times and its done mainly by the people who dont know what there doing and drop a lot of money into the car and pay a mechanic to do it. but the d-series is what i wanna do for something new in my area.

posted by  Projekt_2nr

Turbo and VTEC is a tricking thing to tune. That's why I ALWAYS recommend on here people doing B18b1/b2 swaps (DOHC non-vtec) and going that for the turbo route. And going B16a1 for the non-turbo route. The B series is definatley a better engine for a build though over a D series. Afterall the fastest are made with B series motors (and that last the longest). Come on man, upgrade to two cams in your life, grab a B18b1, they only cost $800 for a complete motor/tranny!

Type-R pistons aren't made for turbo, you're better off using forged pistons from JE.

posted by  fudge

On top of that, how can you fit B series type-R pistons in a D series motor? They never made a D series motor into any type-r car.

The bore size of the D15B7 is 75mm and stroke of 84.5mm. The B16 has a bore of 81mm and stroke of 77mm. I dont think you can fit B16b type-R pistons in a D15 series motor...I dont know how far a D15 can be bored.

wait what?! the turbo actually overrides the vtec making it practically pointless... the turbos forcing air in no matter what, opeening the valve a little further isnt gunna affect it that much...

but,
im actually planning on building my d16... gunna run d15 pistons for higher compression, and get me a vtec head thats not shot (like the last one i got screwed on) find me a bullfrog cam or something, some sort of ex. mani. and im gunna get ITBs from a honda 959RR and get them welded to my intake mani... it wil be badass...

d series is good build if you do it right...

posted by  mazda6man

i'm pretty sure that the nsx is a C series engine, so why not get a C32 or a C30 and play with adaptor plates and remount the crossmembers... you would have the rarest honda in the world.

posted by  HyundaGuy

It just needs to be tuned differently.

Don't think of it as the turbo forcing the air in no matter what. Think of it as the turbo increasing the pressure outside the combustion chamber. Varying the valve opening will still vary the amount of air that passes through it.... it'll just be more. For example, at 50% opening, you may have got 120L/s (totally made up number) without the turbo, and at 100% you get 200L/s, but with the turbo you get 160L/s at 50%, and 300L/s at 100% ... it still makes a difference, just more air.

it's all relative.

posted by  windsonian

i think this guy dont know what he is talking about it looks like he seen stuff and just started putting it together to try and make a motor.....and last time i checked turbo+vtec doesnt equal blown motor....not knowing how to tune thats why that happens...and the guy talks about three inch exhaust and intercooled intake system but yet nothing about a turbo...dont make sense to me

posted by  black_plague

The engines are next to impossbile to obtain. And if you find one they are extremely expensive. And on top of that they are extremely heavy compared to a D series...

The only reason I can think to build a D-series would be based upon engine bay constraints. Otherwise I'd have to say go B-Series. The D-series is not a better motor than the B-series.

posted by  Bino

no, its not better, but cheaper :mrgreen:

posted by  mazda6man

I can actually argue against that. With his D series build it's going to cost him about $600-$900 for all the stock engine parts he needs (block/head). While that would yield maybe 110-115hp in the end (All stock). A stock B18b1 COMPLETE w/ tranny is only $800 and has a lot more torque and 142hp. You can't beat that.

that is true... but at the same time, hes not talking about doing a stock rebuild. but i bet that if i had the money to do what i want (see my earlier post) i bet i could find myself some ponies in that area... id need a few extra parts, but it wouldnt cost me a whole lot...

-d15 pistons - next to nothing
-cam - couple hundred
-959RR ITB - about a hundred bucks
-exhuast mani - couple hundred
-vtec head - 25 bucks from a junk yard (i trust junk yard parts... the head may be good...)
-good rings that wont blow with the compression - maybe a hundred...
i bet thatd be around 140-150 ponies, maybe more... onlything that would suck is that id have to buy premium for the compression...

all costing about what, 600-700 bucks

posted by  mazda6man

Eh you're dreaming o na few things there. The D15 block alone will cost $200-$300, plus the head will not be $25...even from a junkyard (most junkyard sI've been too sell Honda heads F or D series SOHC for like $100-$200. The exhaust AND intake manifold will be about $150/piece and a cam about $150. Pistons you can salvage for probably under a hundred in decent condition. You're still talking a reletively mild build there and it isnt going to yield you close to 150hp. Maybe 130hp if you're lucky.

i know a bloke who has a holden gemini that just got an extractor, exhaust, mild cam and shaved the head, it went heaps hard.

posted by  HyundaGuy

im not gunna run a d15block... im gunna use my d16 block. and i know the people who own the junkyard that i go to... i get stuff dirt cheap. individual throttlebodies from a bike dont cost much... especially if theyre used. and d15 pistons are super cheap, by far less than 100 bucks. i couldnt use an ob1 si head... id have to get an obd2 ex head (single cam vtec) and i have a friend of mine selling a bullfrog cam for 100 bucks (and it is legit)

posted by  mazda6man

Your Message