Supercharger for my accord

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Supercharger for my accord

Im thinking of getting a supercharger for my accord. Its a 96 auto lx coupe. Im thinking of a supercharger b/c it will give my car so added go but not put as much strain on my tranny. Do you think its a good idea to get a supercharger? Or even will my tranny be able to handle it? I don't have much money so i want to replace as little as possible. I drive my accord pretty hard. Like it rare that i floor it but i accelerate pretty quickly and my cruising speed is at least 60-70. What do you all think?

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

that is definately something different and at least it isn't a turbo like everone seems to be doing these days i say go for it :thumbs:

posted by  mx3_monster

A cheap application would be much better. A Supercharger for an Accord will cost you big bucks.

You can find cheap "full" turbo kits around for Accords for under $3000. If you have the time and effort you could source all the parts you need for a lot cheaper and have a turbo setup for under $1000. Plus the turbo setup will offer more tunability and more power options. Plus you dont have to deal with the annoying supercharger whine at highway speeds (if your Accord is anything like mine it must spin around 3200-3500rpms on the highway). Maybe it's just me, but I've still yet to find a supercharger setup specifically for a 4th OR 5th gen Accord. Here's a few great turbo options...

http://www.turbo-kits.com/accord_turbo_kits.htm

I'd get that FMAX kit for $3099. Get a free ball-bearing upgrade on the T3/04B. Good option :thumbs:

At 8psi with a new exhaust (2.5-3") you should go from the stock 140hp to about 230-240hp.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I really don't wanna spend much. Its a almost 10 year old car with about 120k miles on it so i dun wanna put too much stress on the engine or tranny. I wanna spend as little as possible and jsut enjoy it. I plan to get a new car in a few years and completely make that car performance and niceeeee :thumbs:

GReddy's prices arn't bad but i see that they don't make a turbo kit for an accord. But if a supercharger is cheap thats the way i wanna go :2cents:

Superchargers aren't cheap and arent availabe for the 5th gen Accord. If they did make a full setup it would in excess of $3500-$4000 for sure and only net about 60-75 crank hp. Compare that to the about 100hp gains of that basic FMAX kit, for only $3099. Like I said, if you have the time and effort, you can fab up your own turbo kit for under $1000.

At least not custom made to fit the car, anyway. :2cents:

Your best bet at this point would be to get a turbo kit.

posted by  hondaman

I've never seen a person successful mate a supercharger to a 4th or 5th gen stock I4 Accord enigne.

For those who know me I can see the inevitable question coming...

"So what kind of supercharger do you have then?"

Laugh it up, it's one of those electric ones. Yes, it does work.

Now that my credibility has taken a blow, in an attempt to redeem myself I have been considering a turbo as of late...given that as thunderbird has mentioned I can't seem to find a real supercharger for my car. Within a couple more month's pay and fortune's grace I ought to have enough to start seriously looking for a good turbo kit. :2cents:

posted by  hondaman

wait, let me get something straight....

u have been using an electric supercharger all this time??????????

posted by  Inygknok

Yes... :screwy:

posted by  hondaman

do you need a hug? or a shoulder to cry on?

posted by  Inygknok

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to imply... :screwy:

Off subject, testing a new avatar's appearance...

posted by  hondaman

Well im not huge on knowing all the parts and workings of a turbo so ill prob end up getting the cheapest and weakest one. Like i said i don't want to put too much strain on my engine or tranny. It is an automatic. So ill prob end up getting a kit and having my mechanic install it. Any suggestions on brand keeping in mind price? Like the max im willing to spend is 2k but i don't wanna spend that much. I know there are t3/t4 kits ive seen for like $1700. Anything cheaper?

How much was it, where'd you get it and how much in hp and torque gains are you experiencing?

posted by  Pythias

Couple hundred off the internet (off ebay), hundred for installation...and it claims an added 25 hp (no mention of torque) but without a dyno test I couldn't tell you.

posted by  hondaman

I see, thats not too bad I guess, assuming it does do that. 200$ for 25 horses, 10$ per horse. Of course a Dyno would be good to be sure.

posted by  Pythias

How about a supercharger from a Mk1 MR-2 or the new Mini Cooper S?

posted by  fudge

BTW electric turbos don't work at all. It's a hoax and it's proven to do nothing at all to help HP. If it really works then it would have sold like hot cakes by now and all the tuning companies would be using them.

posted by  fudge

Not that it would fit a 5th generation Accord...

Yeah, thats why I said assuming it does that, and personally if I were gonna try something like that I would spend the extra 60 or so to get it dynoed.

posted by  Pythias

A super charger is a costly investment. Mostly avaraging above 2k. But your trans should beable to handle the power.

posted by  The_Dude

Your Message