S14 or S15 SR20DET?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  S14 or S15 SR20DET?

Which version is better.. i want teh 6speed S15 but i heard that the tranny is weak...

posted by  cnalven

S15's gearbox isn't weak but the s14's 5 speed is stronger, trust me the s15 6 speed is strong enough. :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

I would go with the S14 SR20, just because its a lot cheaper. The price difference does not justify the difference in the motors. The S15 tranny is strong, i know people who has S15's in their 240's, and they say its pretty good. Ive driven one, but i prefer the 6 speed in my TL; its slicker. Can't beat Honda transmissions' slickness. :D Although the clutch is a bit sensitive...

posted by  aerith

i'd go with the s14 sr20, you'd have enough left over money to make it just as powerful or more powerful then an s15 sr20.

also, the s14's that i've driven have had severe clutch problems, so you might want to get a heavy dutie clutch or something, but the gearboxes are strong as hell.

i've never driven an s15 but my old man has and he said that he'd prefer his s13 over it.

posted by  HyundaGuy

I'd get the S13 SR20DET. Hell it's a lot cheaper and puts out like what, 15hp less than the S14?

posted by  thunderbird1100

Ya but they have such high miles...
Also, S15 is strong enough to handle 400+ whp?

posted by  cnalven

All used JDM imported enignes have roughly the same amount of miles. BEtween 20-40k usually. I dont see the point in spend $700-$800 more to get a S14 SR20DET when you gain a whopping 15hp ovefr the S13 SR20DET. And the S15 is just a rip off, you pay for the T28 and six speed.

posted by  thunderbird1100

how much horse power can teh s15 tranny handle?

posted by  cnalven

It's the torque that breaks transmissions.

posted by  fudge

Your Message