Valve Covers

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Valve Covers

I just saw someone had painted valve colors (blue color or whatever). I'm wondering, how is it possible to paint them? Do you have to take the cover off, or just paint as it sits in the car? Just wondering.

EDIT: Guess it should've been in another section, please forgive again.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

No its in the right section. Like I said, I believe that they have to be taken off, but I dont see a point to it. With your car, lets clean the engine first. I got a formula that eats away all dirt.

posted by  6000LE

Don't use some cheap spray paint, powder coat it, which involves taking it off obviously.

posted by  nsupra27

shouldn't this be in the general chat or off topic section?

posted by  mx3_monster

dont need to spend money on powder coating. i painted my valve covers (along with a long ass list of other things) with engine enamel and it has worked damn well so far.

in fact, many ppl modify their cars and just use engine enamels or something equivalent and works just fine.

posted by  Inygknok

You dont have to spend big bucks for powder coating. A good finde spray paint will work very well and cost you well under $20. I HIGHLY suggest removing the Valvecover to do it though. That means you will need a new headgasket though.

posted by  thunderbird1100

depends on the car though. my valve covers have rubber things under them. the HG is below the head in my engine, so i didnt need to.

but yea, like thunder said, its better if u remove the valve covers to paint them. will come out much better and cleaner.

the spray paint i used costs me just $1.69 at National Hardware store. i should be getting my digicam this friday from my girlfriend. ill take pics of the things ive painted in my engine and try to post them asap.

posted by  Inygknok

You mean valve cover gasket. http://car-forums.com/talk/images/smilies/wink2.gif

posted by  nsupra27

The "rubber things" you were talking about are called valve cover gaskets. The HEAD GASKET is under the head in EVERY car.

The reason you should take the valve cover off is so you dont get paint on anything else.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Dammit, yeah. Thinking one thing and typed the other. Freudian slip!

posted by  thunderbird1100

thanks for reminding me how they are called. my mind went completely blank.

plus, u can just cover everything properly with newspapers. thats wat i did to paint part of the head and not get anything else painted. worked like a charm.

PS: not allowed to take out the engine in the building's parking lot.

thanks to thunderbird and his little mistake for confusing me! though i think i should just really go eat lunch. im getting hungry and i can barely think straight.

posted by  Inygknok

Alrightie, so I remove the valve cover. Paint it, then place it back with a new valve cover gasket. How hard is this to do by yourself since I'm guessing labor won't be too cheap otherwise?

posted by  Nissan_Altima

the part is like 20 dollars but its not easy to do. take it to a pro...
P.S. how do you like the guages?

posted by  420amodder

Putting on a new valve cover gasket is work that requires a professional? Wow, wouldv'e never known.

posted by  PontiacFan27

A new oomba in the making.

posted by  Pythias

A new what

posted by  PontiacFan27

Valve cover gaskets are easy, depending on the car, like it only took me like 30 minutes to do my front one.

posted by  nsupra27

Type 1,3,and 4 Volkswagons don't use head gaskets ,they use copper o-rings.

posted by  x1/9-rally

So why do they charge 200 to install a headgasket wiseass? Either it takes a really long time or is quite difficult.

posted by  420amodder

MORON. He said valve cover gasket NOT head gasket. Look at it in the post you quoted. VALVE COVER GASKET. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

valve cover gaskets only take like.... 20 seconds to put on? thats wat mine took.... a bit annoying since they are quite thin on my car, but even my mother could do it for me.

posted by  Inygknok

200$ is dirty cheap to get a headgasket done. Makes me think you really don't know how much it costs, considering you have to;

remove the intake/exhaust manifold(unless you have someone to help you lift the head), remove the distributor, cap, and wires. remove the timing belt, valve cover. take off the head bolts in proper sequence to avoid warping the head, lift the head, and the clean the gasket off. Then do that in reverse.

For the gasket and head bolts alone(cant reuse the old ones as they are torque specific) you're looking at around 100-120$.....

So try to tell me how the hell a mechanic will do all that work for 80$...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Your Message