Delimma about my cars

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Delimma about my cars

Well, I've been thinking a lot lately and I really need to free up some cash since as almost all college students, I'm getting poorer and poorer. So what I think I'm going to do is sell both of my cars and get one car to replace them. The car I already decided on is the 2006 Civic Si w/o navi. I make very long road trips often now (Baton Rouge - Atlanta; about 5-6 times a year) and gas is still pretty crazy, especially when putting it in my 300ZXTT which gets pretty poor mileage compared to my Accord. I wanted something sporty, but also roomy enough for luggage/stereo equipment and the new Si fits the bill. It has a big enough trunk for what I need (although I'll seriously have to downsize on my subwoofers, Maybe run two ported 8's; anywho, have to grow-up at some point) and is sporty enough to have fun in. The backseats are definatley usable for two people. I've checked everything out already in person on an EX coupe (same thing as an Si except obviously the Si is tuned completely different and has a different powertrain). This way I only pay insurance on one car, gas one car (that gets decent enough mileage) and have a car that integrates my Accord and 300ZXTT enough into one car. I have no idea what to sell my Accord for. Probably $3000 to a kid who wants all the stereo stuff with it or $1750 w/o any stereo stuff. The 300ZXTT I already got an excellent offer on, which was $19,500. So I really can't pass that up. This way I won't have a car note, just worry about the insurance and gas (And of course mods). So anyways, I haven't fully decided this yet, just thought I'd share to see what you guys think (plus the Si doesnt come out for another few weeks).

posted by  thunderbird1100

I'd find it very hard to let go of a car...especially two, but I've never had to, so I don't know, but if you want a Civic Si...go for it I guess.

For the Accord, I think you could get a bit more for the sound system...so IMO you should wait for a better offer, but the 3000ZXTT sounds pretty solid at $19,000, but it's up to you...

Good luck on whatever option you go for :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Wow, what idiot would pay 19k for a 92 300ZX TT? Good shit for you, I guess.

posted by  PontiacFan27

All depends on you, none can really say for sure. It is a very hard choice. But I'd prolly say get the new Si.

Where you live again? If you decide to do it I might be interested in the Accord for 3k. :hi: Otherwise I'll prolly go after a 300ZX myself, nowhere near around 19,5 tho.

posted by  Pythias

Depending on how many miles were on it, I might.

posted by  hondaman

It has about $9k of mods thrown into it. Bought it last year with about 80k miles on it for a little over $10k and it's like brand new, the most mint 300ZXTT I have ever seen, except for a neighbors 95 SMZ 300ZXTT (420hp stock, he had his optioned for 470hp) which he sold with 27k miles on it for $34k+ a few years back. It's worth at least $15k-$16k. But yeah, when he said $19,500 I flipped.

Right now I'm in Atlanta for Thanksgiving but will be back at my real address in Baton Rouge on Monday. So, nowhere near Ohio really.

Sounds like a pretty mature decision to me. When I got my license I was all about driving and having a car, but 5 years, and 4 cars later, I don't even want one. I still love em, but they're so expensive. My main concern is living within biking distance to work and losing the car.

I say go for it.

posted by  Mathew

True I am living in maryland right now though, visit Ohio sometimes.

posted by  Pythias

Sounds like a though choice. But if you're set on the Si, and need to free up some cash from the insurance and gas, go for it. I'm assuming the insurance will be cheaper on the Si then on the 300ZXTT? If you get 19k for the Z, then you'd be set cuz you wouldn't have much or any to pay out of pocket for the Si. You said u'r set on the Si, but what I would consider is getting maybe a slightly used car for like 10-15grand, and u'd have the extra money for whatever you need, and if you don't need it, then you can get quite a bit of mods for your car for 5-10k.

posted by  Vlad

Yeah but he could finance the Si anyway, if he doesnt have the remainder, and still come out a winner, assuming he's still working...

posted by  Mathew

Used car is out of the question, I want brand new, something I know that WILL be maintained well and be extremely reliable, with a used car, you just never know...Only reason I bought the 300ZXTT is because I knew for sure it was maintained and babied (knew the guy that sold it to me sort of). The insurance on the Si I got to be $950/ 6 months which is better than the $1100/6 month i pay on my 300zxtt and definatley better than the combined $1750/6month I pay on both cars. I think the only mods I'll be doing to the Si are bolt-ons, nothing major, no forced induction. IT's a daily driver that's meant for a little fun, nothing that will kill the engine quicker, or get substansially worse gas mileage. I'll just probably get the HFP package which includes 18" wheels/tires, suspension work and body work. And then get a Hondata ECU, CAI, Header, cat-back, cam gears, pulleys and probably the most extreme mod I'll do is IPS cams. Probably get around 260-270hp N/A.

Update: I went today to a local dealer and put my name down for a gray/blk Si. I think I'm going to go through with it. Each dealer is getting ONLY 6 Si's and my local dealer already has sold 2 of its, they arrive in a few weeks. So hopefully I'll love it. Paying MSRP (zero options), no suprise there, no one is getting any of these for under MSRP, a lot of people who pre-ordered them a while back paid a few thousand over msrp.

Nice, what options are you getting on the vehicle? What will it come equipped with?

posted by  Pythias

He said zero options...

posted by  Mathew

lets see some pics when you get it :) btw bro umm... if ur selling those cars i might buy some of u audio if ur up for that... i mean like ive always wanted a DD, so um ya. good call with the Si tho

posted by  Stem

It's coming as a base Si with zero factory and dealer options. The funny thing is I agreed to pay MSRP but they can't tell me what MSRP is until the car actually arrives (Honda won't even tell them!). But it's definatley going to be between $19,400-$20,000. I haven't checked into it but I think high performance summer tires is an option, but not sure, so if it is an option and doesnt come stock I'll for surely get that, and maybe get the 18" wheel/tire package. Definatley not spending the $4000+ for the HFP kit, and not getting navi.

I actually already promised a friend of mine my 15's (paying $800 for both, in the box) and another friend my 2-channel amp ($70), sub amp ($300) and ANOTHER friend my 6x9's ($50). The 6.5" Diamond components are dropping in the Si as it's 6.5" F/R as is the Alpine F545 4-channel. I asked if the Si sound system is like the EX premium coupes in that it has an 8" infinite baffle woofer and he didnt know, so if it does I'll take that out and replace it with a serious 8" driver that can work in infinite baffle...

I'm just trading in my Accord (putting back in the factory radio and speakers). The dealer knows me very well and is giving me $2000 for it, which is about double which any other dealer would give, and saves me the hassle of selling it privately. All the stuff in my 300ZXTT are being sold with the car.

ur selling a 2500d for $300, holy shit lmao. good deal with the accord tho

posted by  Stem

Bought it for like $315... :laughing:

Nice man, very nice, I figured it would be no options because of everything you know how to do with vehicles, and 90% of the time it's cheaper to do it yourself than have it come from the factory that way. Can't wait to see some pics of it :thumbs:
I'll prolly end up buying a car around Febuary, something in the 3.5-4.5k range, and more than likely see about a modding the sound system, although I know NOTHING about ti so I would be learning from scratch.. but oh well we'll see.

posted by  Pythias

They had a factory optioned out Civic EX Navi Coupe with almost all the dealer options as well. The STICKER price was....

$26,570 - FOR A CIVIC!!!!

Had over $8000 in options. I was like "Honda is getting to be like BMW!" It was insane, costs more than a no options Accord EX-V6!

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. Its a great car, you're getting a lot for the price. 202 wheel hp is pretty good for below 20k, and not to mention Honda reliability and build quality. I think you should go for the Honda 18 inchers, the gunmetal ones, they look great with the color you are buying. Especially with red Brembos.

posted by  aerith

So how much "cash" did you really free up? You could have freed up a lot more cash by keeping the Accord and banking that $19k. Trust me, you can repair a car for a LONG time on that $19k and still have vastly mroe in yoru account than you will.

And the Accord isn't really depreciating much anymore, and the insurance is going to be much cheaper for teh same coverage.

That's why I considered cheap, paid off used cars a much more financialy solvent path for a student, even if you have to occasionally repair them.

It really doesn't sound like you were freeing up cash, but trying to justify getting something newer and fun than what you had. Which is perfectly ok, as long as you're honest with yourself. :wink2:

posted by  ChrisV

Getting rid of both cars is saving me a lot of money as long as I completely pay off the Si. Plus, now I have only ONE car to pay insurance on. Even if I did keep the Accord and bought the Si I still pay over $1100/year in insurance (just for the Accord), not to mention the $1650/year in insurance for the Si (the last time I paid my 300ZXTT I thin kit was like right at $900 or so for 6 month). I'm saving a whole load of cash right there be getting rid of 2 vehicles. Plus, I cant have two vehicles at the same time now, there is no point. When I'm in Louisiana I can only have one as I can only have one registered car for parking at school and parking in my apartments parking garage, I cant switch between the two and I cannot get two. So I basically had to pick between the Accord and 300ZXTT to take to Baton Rouge with me (from Atlanta) for college. So I took the Accord (less miles on the beast). Which meant I got to drive the 300ZXTT only when I was back in Atlanta (for the whole 2 weeks or so I was this semester so far). Trust me, I've gone over this finanically and logically 100 times, this is the best solution finanically and logically. I wont have to deal with fixing anything (more sure at least), that's the best thing. And if something does go wrong, it WILL be covered under warrenty, which is acceptable. Something I cant get with my used cars :mrgreen:

Plus, I think the Accord's reverse gear has finally had it and I really need to put some new motor mounts in there... Too much time (which i dont have) and money I dont want to keep plugging into it.

To be honest, I'm kinda with ChrisV here. If you didn't buy the Civic and only sold the 300ZX and kept only the Accord (meaning owning only one car) and putting whatever money would of went into buying the Civic away somewhere, that you'd save more.

You already own the Accord, so if you got $19K for the 300ZX then thats $19K more then you originally had and you are now saving money cause your only insuring one car and paying gas/repairs for one car.

It would take a LONG time before going your route would really end up saving you money (I'm guessing), as your making money only to spend it all on something else, therefore not really making/saving any money. :2cents:

The Civic SI looks like a nice car though, and I like the sounds of your 300ZX, I guess as long as your happy with your decision. :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

The major difference is (what I dont want to have to deal with since I dont have the time) is repairs for the Accord, I know it needs to get done, and soon. Why not get $2000 for it now (I wouldn't get that even if I privately sold it). With a new car that's paid off, I dont have to worry about the "old car" repairs and everything is under warrenty just about, so when something DOES need to get fixed, it's most likely free or very little.

Except financially, it['s NOT a cheaper route, and over teh next two years or so, you will STIL only need a few hundred dollars in repairs on teh Accord.

Iv'e LIVED with old cars as daily drivers, and Iv'e even lived with cars considered unreliable, and it's ALWAYS cheaper by far.

posted by  ChrisV

Actually the Accord needs more than a few hundred dollars in repairs, and it's repairs I just dont have time to do nor a place to do it at. Needs new motor mounts everywhere...that isn't cheap (parts yeah, labor NO). Also, I'm beginning to think it may either need A. A new tranny or B. A new reverse gear...either, not very cheap. After those two repairs alone it'll be more than the car's worth, and since I can get a little more than it's worth right now, might as well do it. Plus, I always need a car that's at least sporty, ther Accord well, that's why it's kept as JUST the "sound car".

Your Message