Buying a car How to lower the price as low as it wil go?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Buying a car How to lower the price as low as it wil go?

Hi, I am buying a 300zx today 1990 93K miles on it automatic t tops. How can i get the seller to lower the price as much as i can. I did not see this car but can you give me some tips on what to say to make the seller drop the price.

posted by  Kris

just find minor things wrong with the car... be like well i am gonna have to replace the tires soon... or just tell him a price lot lower than u wanna pay and then negotiate from that.

posted by  V-Tec

As he said ^^^

just don't lowball him...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Pretend like you know a lot about cars...i.e.

You: Well...(looking under hood)....The carb seems to be clogging with oil, 2 of the pistons are missing...that air filter has water in it!...Yup, it's seen better days...Wow...the breaks are thin!...
:laughing: JK

Just try what V-Tec said :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Newsflash. If you don't know how to hustle a deal, you're not going to learn today. It's a talent that you either have or don't have, and you don't have the time to learn it. One thing you can do is remember that cash in hand helps. Never forget the old saying... "Money talks and bullsh*t walks." Oh yeah, another thing. If you've already decided that you're buying the car today, you're going to pay his price. Never try to dicker unless you're willing to walk away.

posted by  vwhobo

I love guys who pretend to know about cars... Especially if they have their wife/girlfriend with them. Most of the time, by using their "automotive knowledge" to my advantage, I can actually get substantially MORE for the car than I'm looking for.

posted by  vwhobo

well when i bought my car wit my dad he had a really good strategy... he is a superb negotiator but his strategy was good too... He went to 2 dealers, and had his eye on 2 cars, i wanted car X, so we went to the car Y dealership and showed alot of interest in car Y, hussled the price down, then went back to car X dealership and told the dealer there we have an awesome price on a different car, and the Car that was selling for about 6.5k was now 3.9k :)

posted by  Stem

Point out any issues the car had, remind him of the bluebook value, and put in a low offer, but not a lowball. Work from there.

posted by  PontiacFan27

How about you give us how much the car is going for...we can think of something better like that...

posted by  chris_knows

Situations like that is why I am happy I'm a damn good salesman.

posted by  Zalight

2800 dollars is what hes asking. Has a slight front right bumper crack from a small accident. Engine works perfectly lots of compression runs smooth and very strong. shocks arent worn out. but i think 2800 is a great price but eh if i can get it to like 2600 200 bucks is 200 bucks ya know?

posted by  Kris

I agree. When I go to buy a car (admittedly they're generally new) I let it be known I am devoid of any car knowledge. This puts them in the position of bullshitting, which I turn around on them later in negotiations; in a pleasant way.

You should have the car checked over by an independent or car club, because an old car is going to have a fair amount of wear and tear.

posted by  Wally

I recently bought a car for $1000. The guy was asking $1400.

Basically what I did was test drove the car, looked it over, etc etc. Then I said:

Me: Well I know you're asking $1400, but all I can give you is $1000.

Him: Well, really I don't think theres much wrong with it...(etc)

Me: Yeah, I know, but all I have is $1000. I'd give you more but thats all I can afford. Besides, is not perfect...(pointed out a few problems).

Then he went and talked to his buddy and they agreed to do it. All the while after grumbling that he really wanted $1400.

I took away his ability to negotiate because I told him that was all I had. If he asked for more I would have walked away. Like vwhobo said, don't go there thinking you're gonna buy the car. Go there thinking you're going to spend a certain price, and be prepared to walk away.

posted by  Mathew

But are you sure you got a the car for a good price? The oldest trick in the book is for a seller to put a sucker price on a car and see what happens. it's fine that you got $400 off the asking price, but... If the car is only worth $800, you still paid too much. And if you did that with me, I'd tell you to have a nice day and walk away.

It doesn't matter if you can get the car for $2600, if it's only worth $2000 you still paid too much. The first and most important thing you have to do is honestly assess how much the vehicle is worth. Listen to the language you use when you talk about it. "I am buying a 300zx today" and "i think 2800 is a great price". You've already decided this is the car you've got to have, and because of that you lose. You really have to ask yourself if you NEED it or not. An asking price of $2800 for that car is pretty damn low. What does he know about the car that you don't, and how much are you willing to spend to make it right? Cheap in many instances doesn't always mean better.

posted by  vwhobo

i bought a car last week for 3grand and she was asking for 4... i just pointed out all the bumps and cracks. the miles, and the blue book value. she said she wanted to see it to someone who needs itt, i told her i liked it ALOT and i needed a car, she agreeed. so it wasnt bad..

sometimes try and offer CASH, be like, i can pay you 2500 in cash. if not ill have to get a money order or something (some ppl agree to that.)

posted by  desii

Your Message