Thinking about getting a Prelude

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Thinking about getting a Prelude

So i was driving today and at a street light a car pulls up next to me. (not to stereotype) In it is a Mexican dude maybe a year or two older than me. He revs his car and notices me on the side. Rolls down his windows and tells me he likes my civic he had one just like a few years ago and decided to get a more powerful version and got his 96 prelude. He revs again and winks (that's gay i know i thought the dude was kinda a gay myself) So it turns green i don't give it to hard but i make a decent effort. SMOKED!!! The dude basically put two to three cars in between us in a matter of seconds. I came home an started to do some research on the car. YEA 190 hp. The thing monstered my car. I then started to think that it was a nice looking car with good specs and shit. Did some searching and figured a 1994 Prelude si would be a great car for me. Manual of course. So i just wanted to get a conversation going on the topic. You like the car? yes no? Ever driven it? Just give me some feedback thanks guys

posted by  95civicdima

3 of my friends have ludes.( has they call them)
There realy nice cars. Pretty quick and fuel effecient they handle pretty well and our fun to drive. Though the back seat is extremly tight. I much prefer something like a 626(v6) but i would say a prelude would be an awesome car for you to get.

posted by  Aondor

Well I can't drive as of yet so I have never driven one, but I think they look like nice cars, and from what I've heard about them they are pretty good. I think the only downside is the cost of insurance (if I was told right), cause they are more expensive then most other Honda cars.

posted by  car_crazy89

WELLL... hehe do you have alot of mods in your car, i mean civics are fast when they're modded smartly. A prelude could kill a stock civic with the h22a and a few bolt ons... BUTTT hehe preludes are beautiful cars... i love them.

EDIT: are you really gonna get the car JUST because that car beat yours ina redlightrace?

posted by  Stem

Not the reason. I just really liked the car and think that it would be an appropriate power for me to handle and use. Not because it beat me. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CARS I WOULD WANT JUST BECAUSE THEY BEAT ME AT THE LIGHT! :laughing: a lot

posted by  95civicdima

The H23a is a really fun engine and is a good alternative if you cant afford the H22a(number) power version. Specs on it are 5spd manual and 160hp DOHC 2.3L.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I've ridden in one, and they are pretty fun...Sexy car, and felt pretty fast...One of the cars on my list of options on what to get when I'm old enough :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

insurance wont be too much higher than like a 2 door civic because it's insurances also see which cars get stolen more and 2dr civic are definately up there. However if u are smart about insurance u should be fine. Lot of people say insurance is high on like a 16 year old with any car especially a 2dr one, but if u are smart about it it wont be. What u wanna do is insure the car on your parents and make urself a temporary driver. Thats what i did and i pay $400 for 6 months for a 96 integra for basic liability insurance. I have heard people paying like $1200 for 6 months when they are 16 for liability insurance because they put it on themselves.

posted by  V-Tec

Well I'll probably be one of those people on their own (as neither parent drives as of right now), but I'll probably get some help for payment as I'd be the only driver for awhile. Right now it looks like I'd be insuring a truck lol, not sure if that'd be more or less then a 2 door car.

posted by  car_crazy89

Ive got a lude, my full coverage insurance is the same as my dad's camry :shrug:, ~370/6mo

posted by  importluva

Anyone willing to do a search for me? A 1994 Prelude (si) for under 5000? Manual prefered. Miles..well just find it. Black would be great.

posted by  95civicdima

Well I took a quick look in my area (which I doubt would help you though), but no Si's come up, its all SR, SE, SH or nothing...

posted by  car_crazy89

I find it humourous, but not surprising, that the color of the car is more important than the mileage. BTW, is there a reason you can't do a search? I mean your computer is connected to the same internet as mine.

EDIT. Look at this (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?bkms=1133636881217&model=P RE&make2=sel_one&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1994&engine=&certified=&fuel=&sea rch_type=both&distance=0&make=HONDA&color=&min_price=&drive=&y=12&sponsorMo del=&x=101&max_mileage=&address=88101&advanced=y&end_year=1994&doors=&trans mission=&max_price=&pager.offset=0&first_record=1), an entire three minutes work.

posted by  vwhobo

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=193239997&dealer_id=57250115&c ar_year=1994&search_type=both&make=HONDA&transmission=&sponsorModel=&distan ce=0&model=PRE&address=88101&make2=sel_one&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileag e=&max_price=&bkms=1133636881217&min_price=&first_record=1&end_year=1994&co lor=&start_year=1994&drive=&isp=y&pager.offset=0&engine=&doors=&fuel=&lang= en&cardist=1355#vdptop
Shes sexy

posted by  newyorker

I can do it easily man i'm just intersted in what other people would find. I'm not bad at all at finding cars online. Autotrader and car.com that's too easy i'm not interested in searching there. The mileage for these cars can't be worst then what i have. So i seriously don't mind. I bought a car with 145,000 and don't mind it one bit. Mileage doesn't defie a car. So yes the color is more important.

posted by  95civicdima

Stop being such a HOMO and stop ****ing posting on my threads your opinoin is worth shit to not only me but to plenty others on here. YOU ARE GIVEN NO RESPECT ON THESE FORUMS!

posted by  95civicdima

You're not interested in searching there? It's probably the best resource available for that purpose, or maybe you're just not really interested in finding a car... just talking about it. As for color being more important than mileage, well that is simply ludicrous. But then people who think like you are what pays for all my toys, so who am I to complain.

posted by  vwhobo

And neither does somebody who calls another person a homo. What is wrong with being a homosexual? Are you worried about your latent tendencies? Maybe you'd like to call him a racial name next. Loser.

posted by  vwhobo

Why does it matter how i insult someone to you that's kind of odd?
Like i said there's more to a car than it's mileage if the car has 90,000 that's cool

posted by  95civicdima

Why do you think it's okay to call someone a "homo" as an insult? Answer the question candyass, is there something wrong with being a homosexual?

posted by  vwhobo

I hate THIS attitude towards people. If you dont like a certain group of people it's probably wasting your time trying to get them to "accept" them. It's almost as bad as evangelicals forcing religion down throats (dont accept Jesus, go to hell!; dont accept gays, BIGOT!). Many people see homosexuals as an immoral behavior, maybe you dont, but trust me, you wont be changing their minds, just an FYI.

Well from what I've heard it's kind of a 'mental retardation' or 'problem' in the brain that makes a person that way (not saying that is true or not), so if that is true then technically there has to be something wrong to BE gay, but being homosexual is just another lifestyle so really it should make no difference. Technically it makes no sense calling someone 'gay' or 'homo' as an insult, it'd be like calling someone 'straight' as an insult, it's just stupid.

^^ That may not make sense and might just look like random rambling to some people ^^

posted by  car_crazy89

So what you're saying is that it's okay to use names like homo, nigger, kike, spick, cracker, polack, raghead, etc? It's all in the attitude after all, right? I'd sure like to hear an explanation for that.

posted by  vwhobo

And what makes you think that I was even talking to you? This is a free forum and I can post where I want. Now why not get that imaginary engine swap going? :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

He just has no other names to call people, because thats as far as his intelligence goes. And why all the talk about me being gay? Lol. Cause im not. Wheres Steve?
P.S. this is the biggest non-homophobic group of people I have met. Personally I dont think there is anything wrong with being gay. Those that mock it, have insecurities and are most likely in doubt themselves, and try to make themselves feel better. :2cents:

posted by  newyorker

I never said that it's OKAY, but somehow I knew you'd try to play that card...

I just said in the case of not liking homosexuals (this situation) it's POINTLESS to try and change someone's mind (lets be REAL here for a second, you wont...), so leave them the hell alone, if you think they look ignorant, then that's you. Don't FORCE something down their throat just because you believe it's the right thing, that makes you just as bad as any other "bigot" that forces their religous, political, moral or racial views on anyone. Guess what, only a small group cares about it!

What ever happened to Constitutional Rights in this country? Oh yea, the ACLU loves to "abuse" (light word there) the meaning of "Rights". :wink2:

IT's not ILLEGAL to call anyone anything. Is it bad? Well, that's for you to decide

Its not illegal nor is it bad in some cases (I love how VWhobo uses the name Twinky :laughing: ), but it just proves your intelligence and how you cant make a coherent and comprehensive statement so you move to namecalling.

posted by  newyorker

This is stupid. He explodes on me because I said a car looks nice. :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

I wasn't really addressing the name calling issue, most any name calling is pre grade 3 level of trying to forumlate a response, I was addressing a more underlying issue.

I agree, he was way out of line... It almost like a case of Torretts...

Seriously. He posts a racial slur coming at me, and then has the nerve to say that I am not wanted here.

posted by  newyorker

Hey Twinkie, try reading my posts again. Never did I try to force my point of view on anybody. Of course, that's only a fact that you won't find acceptable because it doesn't support your viewpoint. You on the other hand you are attempting to force your beliefs on me, and if I don't accept them I become a bigot, or something just like one.

You do a pretty good job of acting like a conservative but here's the fly in your ointment. I support constitutional rights 100% (you have how many years in service to your country protecting those rights?), but with rights go responsibilities. And when you exercise your rights you have to be able to deal with the consequences. Just because I can legally call you a fat, stupid, candyass college puke cracker with an ugly girlfriend, doesn't mean I should.

posted by  vwhobo

1 :laughing:
2 :clap:

posted by  newyorker

Well newyorker, I'm not trying to start anything here or whatever, but maybe this was the wrong thread to compliment which car is 'sexy'. He had asked a question about getting one (a 94' for under $5000), maybe it that car was $5000 or less then it wouldn't of been so bad, but this thread wasn't created to find out others opinions on the cars for sale. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm just saying (also, he wasn't right for the way he responded to your comment of the car).

posted by  car_crazy89

I wasnt even directing it to him. I was directing it to HOBO, but he thinks that just because I post on his thread im instantly talking to him. And now HE looks like an asshole.

posted by  newyorker

Well it din't specificly look like it was posted to the Hobo (or anyone else really), as you quoted the Hobo's post for the link (or so it looked). SOme people have different reactions to different things, and lately it seems you and 95civicdima havent been getting along that great so alittle aviodance probably wouldn't hurt (unless the plan was to help).

posted by  car_crazy89

Hey "Cracker" (since you have to start all your posts with petty pre-school insults you've used over 1000000 times on here :wink2: ). Indirectly, yes, you did. It's funny you didnt even realize it. If you JUST said namecalling was inane, that's one thing, but you went into all detail about how saying homosexual as an insult means you have a problem with homosexuals and putting them down etc etc...THAT'S what is the problem. Nice try on SPINNING the situation in your way by saying I'm forcing anything on anybody, because I'm not, YOU are, I was just pointing that fact out.

OH dont give me this BS about "how many" yadda yadda crap. I don't care, If you do something stupid I point it out. I dont care if you're 10, 30 or 90. I have clothes with dirt older than you on them, and have MULTITUDES of family members who served (or are serving) for our country, many of them quite a bit older than yourself Mr. Colonel Sanders. So dont try and pull the "I'm older, I'm right" scenario on me :thumbs:

If you support constitutional rights, you wouldnt keep ramming down his throat how "Awful" and 'insulting' it is to say homosexual as an insult. Like I said before, he probably doesn't care what you think, nor do I really, so why try and sway a view?

I don't care what you call me, my girlfriend or my family. Just know the consequences of your actions would be different in person.

BTW - I hardly "act" conservative as many self-proclaimed "Conservatives" today abuse constitutional rights in our government almsot as bad as self-proclaimed "liberals".

I'm neither a neo-conservative nor neo-liberal.

I'm an easy blend between classical liberal and classical conservative.

Nice try though.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go take my "fat, stupid, candyass college puke cracker" self and go watch LSU win an SEC title.

Hmmm, you do a really good tap dance, and if I wasn't busy making a nice supper for my wife I'd take the time to pick your BS apart. Let's hit two high points.

Really? Are you sure? Just how old are you to have clothes with dirt older than me? I've seen your picture and I'd put you in your early 20's, maybe a year or two older than my son. Well that's just a fact, no need to dwell on the truth, is there?

Also, your multitudes of family members (Note to all readers; A multitude is more than someone from Louisiana can count, which is how many fingers they can stick up their nose simultaneously, usually about four.) doesn't tell me how many years YOU spent in service to your country. I devoted over 23 years of my life to ensure that little know nothings like you have the right to speak their mind, no matter how ignorant or misguided they may be. Oops, sorry another fact. So tell me, what have you done for your country lately (ever)?

posted by  vwhobo

And the hobo continues his rampage of nonsensical blabber...

Who said the clothes I have were from this decade, last decade...or THIS century? In fact, hobo, you are wrong, again. We have a few Civil War Uniforms (and guns) in our family that have either been obtained or passed down. So, if you are over the age of about 140, then I congratulate you for actually being right about one thing.

And actually, I am not in my early 20's, but a close guess, I'm 19. But given the fact the picture of me on here was at a LSU game and everyone who's been here longer than a month knows I am a student, it was at least smart enough of you to guess in the right ball-park and use 1% of that brain of yours.

And really, I'm not "from" Louisiana if you want to nit-pick. I WAS born here, but lived 18 of the 19 years of my life in Georgia. Louisiana was never a "Home" to me, and still isn't. But nice try on another pre-pube insult.

So, does everyone have to be in the service to have a say about something in our country? What will I do to help our country?

Simple, I am doing a thing called getting an education (B.A. and Masters) , opening my own small business, and help to put money in the economy. I already trade extensively in the Dow (not so much a "day" trader though). So, if that's not enough for YOU, I'm sorry, but go ahead and stick your head up your ass, because if you say anything more about that, that's how I will hear it. My family supports my decisions, including all of our veterans in our "extended" family, so, frankly, if you dont; I dont give a damn. Got it? :thumbs: Okay.

I respect all military service men, but if they are going to be an ass to me, then have my OWN right (not a government right) to be an ass back. So frankly, take it like a man and dont whine about being a military man. Sound like a homeless person crying about getting into a project.

TO VWHOBO AND THUNDERBIRD. I respect you both because you both know your great ammount about cars but can we please stop arguing like children. Youre both right in a way so just stop. The thread wasnt created for the purpose of arguing.

posted by  newyorker

dude, stick with the Civic with a some mods the stock prelude wont be a big deal. :thumbs:

posted by  ToshoRcing

Does something like making up performance chips ring a bell? Oh and it's not imaginary because i never said i was going to get a engine swap i said i was going to look for a prelude. So get your shit right you ****ing moron. Second off that's my intelligence?! Don't you dare think that you are in ANY place smarter than me. You have no place to call me dumb. FYI to all of you 6000le talked about himself being gay the first few weeks i talked to him.

posted by  95civicdima

IT'S NOT RACIAL! I DON'T WANT YOU POSTING ON THREADS I MAKE IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM I DON'T RESPECT ANYTHING THAT COMES OUT OF YOUR STUPID ASS FACE! Take your lies somewhere else fool

posted by  95civicdima

it's not like i'm going to be getting the prelude next week or anything. I don't have the money one way or another even if i sold my car. Plus more availability comes out during spring and summer. I was thinking of just saving up the money and getting the prelude somewhere around june. I want a manual car and i want something more powerful. The more i think about it the more i like it. I was looking at a black Prelude SI 1994 with roughly 90,000 miles on it. From what i understand i can get that car for roughly 6500. My car will sell easy for 3000. The trick is to sell it for more. So that leaves me with about 3500 to get. Even if i sell my car for more i'll still need to get tags and stuff. I'll need practice on a stick before i get the car too but hopefully my brother will help me out in that department (he has a 2004 Mazda Speed) So those are my plans any reactions advice? Let me hear it. By the way hobo i'm sorry for what i said i didn't mean to offend you. I only wanted to affend the person it was being said to. I can fess up to the fact that it wasn't decent of me to say but man i just can't stand people that don't have any morals at all. so lets all just be cool and talk about the commen goal of cars.

posted by  95civicdima

post 100

posted by  95civicdima

Actually it's 101 :laughing:

Congrats BTW :clap:

I think it's not a bad idea, getting a Prelude in June, but be certain that's what you want...look at all of your other options. I've made a lot of stupid decisions like that, like with video game systems :doh:

posted by  chris_knows

Actually this is post 101 but thanks. I know what you mean i kind of made that same mistake with my civic. I rushed into it. I see the prelude appealing. I really wanna test drive a few before i by em. So i'll probably look for a few dealerships and see if i can test drive a few. I like the car's power. A 4 cylinder car so it's somewhat economical. It's fast car. Supposedly it can beat a 2000 mustang gt the si

posted by  95civicdima

'

You were right it was post 101

posted by  95civicdima

And is there something wrong with that? Do you have problems with gays?

posted by  newyorker

Once again. Free forum, and I can post where I want. Im not doing anything wrong so if you have a problem, why not ask the mods? Im sure they will turn you down :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

:laughing:

Man that made me crack up lol :laughing:

posted by  Pythias

Not sure but I doubt it. Bring up the si's specs if you really want to see by googling it, and post it here if you do.

posted by  Pythias

A new Si will not beat a 99-04 GT... The GT just outpowers it.

Yea you are probably right. I've been looking at the spec's of both. The SI is lighter and has a dohc. Also 160 hp. Torque i think was like 203. The mustang DEFINETLY has like 230 hp, but has a sohc. Definetly pretty heavy though and it is a rwd so that'll help it out. Honestly i don't think that would be such a bad race i don't think the mustang will dominate the si i think the si would probably give it a run for it's money.

posted by  95civicdima

I like Preludes. Pretty quick and good looking cars.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Okay....

SOHC and DOHC, or OHV doesnt matter. IT just matters how much power eaqch car has and what driveline it's getting put down with.

The 99-04 GT have 260hp, about 300tq and are obviously RWD. They run approximately 14 second 1/4 miles.

The 06-up Si has about 220-225hp and 155-160tq and is obviously FWD. So far only a lot of good guestimates have been given as what they can do, but most people concur they are probably 14.7-14.8ish cars.

Lmao, glad I could be of some help :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

No, for the most part it would dominate it.

posted by  Pythias

Does anyone think that a prelude si 1994 will be a good fast car...racing wise? I'm not gonna race either way but just for the fact of knowing

posted by  95civicdima

Like for street lights? :laughing: Well it wouldn't be a bad car, alot better than your current Civic, thats for sure, and it also has alot more potential so.

posted by  Pythias

OH! and i forgot can i put a turbo in them and a cai? I mean what kind of good perfomances would someone recommend for installation. This is all going to help me pick out my next car. I really like the prelude but dislike how i can only TOPS fit 3 ppl in it. Has anyone been in the back seat of one?

posted by  95civicdima

Could you elaborate on that please? What specifically? Oh and come on don't dis my civic i really like and will still very much miss it when i get a different car. I do admit it's power isn't that great but it runs well.

posted by  95civicdima

I don't think I dissed on it in any way shape or form. The Prelude will have more potentia,l period. As in the stock power, the engine itself is superior, just as well the car looks nice as well.

posted by  Pythias

yea i talked it over with my parents and they are cool as long as i have ALL the money straight up. Not like a loan that i took with the civic but all of it in advance

posted by  95civicdima

Do you pay for your own insurance, chances are insurance will be more on the si.

posted by  Pythias

Yea i do pay my own insurence. I don't think it'll be THAT much more. The thing is i was thinkin after the snow dies down and i finish off this semester i might take a delivery job or something. Get practice driven and get really good money 80 bucks a night. Maybe 2 times a week that's about 640 a month. I do repairs and shit for people on their computer make an average of 300 a month. I work at a walgreens too make about 160 every two weeks. So Counting on the other job i could definetly pull in good money and save up within 3-4 months

posted by  95civicdima

True, but jsut to say It'll still prolly be significantly more than your civic.

posted by  Pythias

as before stated by me it will fit 4 peopel in a prelude the peopel in the back will just be uncomftorable and won't fit if there over 6'4(with out serious squeeze)

posted by  Aondor

If you have the chance, definatly get a prelude. I have a 98 and love it. I'd highly recomend one. The 94 Si is a different car, but still looks good, but not as fast, unless you get the 94 VTEC with the H22 in it, and you'll have close to 200 horses. You can fit 4 people in a lude, especially if the driver is not tall and doesn't have the seat all the way back. If you try you can get 5 people to fit. Not comfortably for a long trip, but they fit lol...

And were you talking about the 06 civic Si or the 94 prelude Si when you said it could keep up with a mustang GT? As thunderbird pointed out, the civic will likely lose, and the lude Si will get owned easily. The GT has 100 more hp and way more torque.

posted by  Vlad

That's cool you definetly gave me some info i needed to hear. Honestly i have no idea why i said the mustang thing it wasn't really a bright thing to say. You're definetly right outpowered and out performed. Your 98 how much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking. Also i'm definetly going to be on a 6500 budget when buying. Maybe a little more. Have any particular recommendation for that money range? Year, model, price's?

posted by  95civicdima

I paid 8 grand for my 98, had 77,000 miles when I bought it. For 6500, you'll probably be looking at 4th gens, 92-96. Will probably be hard to find a 5th gen for that price but if you do, get it. Personally I would only get the VTEC model of the 4th gens. Its the strongest one with the H22, 200 horses. You could probably find a 93ish one or so for under 6500. If you can't get the Si, 160hp.

posted by  Vlad

Just to be fair they actually rated the 92-96 VTEC models at 190hp, it was 200hp in the later 97-01 gen (195hp on the first few models).

True. I knew that was the case but forgot about it as I was typing.

posted by  Vlad

Personally dude, I'll tell you honestly, although the Prelude is a nice car, I don't know if it's worth it. You've finally payed off the civic, and instead of enjoying it you start paying again? Working 2 jobs will be hard, you can't forget school/college, that's very important.

What's the need of a faster car anyway? I mean, it's not like you plan on dragging daily and your civic gets you around fine. Of course this is all in IMO, and I'll support your decision either way; I just wanted to toss my opinion in there.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

If everything goes planned then i'll be going to drexel for the co-op and be paying my tuition that way so i'm not really worried about college affordability. As far as drag racing...i don't intend on EVER doing it. The faster car...well i dunno i figure i might as well have something to work towards. Saving up money is no fun without a goal and just spending it all is just dumb. I figure a different car is something to look forward to. The prelude is just an idea i like no 100% gaurantee i'll be getting it at all. I've test drove 3 already (the exact one i want too.. and let me say it's a fun car). So i respect your opinion and the civic was only intended on being a starter car not a car to have forever. Who knows i might change my mind a 100 times between now and june we'll see what happens

posted by  95civicdima

Exactly, none knows what can happen, you may discover a different car you would rather have, but for that decent amoutn of power and still good gas mileage while look nice it seems like its for you. not only that but personally I have seen my first prelude the other day... and yes I do drive alot and ride alot, many 8 hour trips from here to ohio and back and I very much do pay attention to the cars on the road I have just never really seen one.

posted by  Pythias

Yea man, it's a great car! I just bought my 1994 Prelude Si for $4500, all stock, but REALLY nice condition. It's got 160hp, so it's not the top model, but it's still quick as hell. Everyone I've come up to at a light, I've smoked... Maybe because they weren't pushing hard enough, or maybe because my car is fast. heh
But, really, they're nice cars and I highly recommend them. Mine's got 140k miles on it, and since it's been kept in good shape, it'll probably go for another 100k.
Tell us if you find one. :)

posted by  odds

Wow for 4500 that's a real grab. Can you tell me about the car a bit? Is it loud how's the back seats? details man details! lol just let me know as much as possible please

posted by  95civicdima

hey man, im looking for a civic, would you be interested in selling yours, if u get a prelude

posted by  dsmracersv98

yea, the backseats are incredibly small. no way can you fit more than one person back there. the owner's manual says that i should be pumping 91 octane into it, but a technician recently suggested i use 89. i'm not sure on which one to use, yet.
it's loud when you want it to be, with a stick atleast. mmm, it's a really smooth ride. you'll probably have to replace the stereo, obviously. the stock one sucks. it really is a great car. even with 91 in it, i get ~25 mpg. and that's usually revving it to 3k with occasional redlining. :)

posted by  odds

Your Message