light weight crank pulley

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  light weight crank pulley

So...i have a dilemma :banghead: where i want to install a lighter crank pulley (of the same diameter as stock) on my Scion tC because i would love the better throttle response and freed up horse power but i have heard from numerous sources that it causes an imbalance and will shorten the lifespan of your engine. Will the imbalance cause significant engine wear in the long run? What should i do?!?!? i'd appreciate any help or opinions with what i should do.

posted by  Scionguy

If anything underdrive pulleys increase the life of your engine.

posted by  PontiacFan27

And decreases the power of everything else but the engine :mrgreen:

posted by  thunderbird1100

this is the same diameter as the stock no underdrive just lightweight

posted by  Scionguy

PontiacFan27: If anything underdrive pulleys increase the life of your engine

could you explain how?

posted by  Scionguy

Less strain on the moving parts.

posted by  PontiacFan27

If it's other purpose is to provide harmonic balancing you need to look carefully at the selection.

posted by  Wally

ehhh.... did u mean that lightweights increase or decrease? not gonna say anything until i get an answer to this.....

posted by  Inygknok

If you want longivity and reliability stay with stock. But if you are considering this mod you have no intention of treating the engine delicately do you? :wink2:

posted by  Wally

aw man, u just had to go and tell them the truth! i wanted to see wat pontiacman was going to reply to me.....

posted by  Inygknok

Lightweight/underdrive pulleys offer more reliability than stock. They lighten the load on moving parts.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Well that's a fairly confident statement. Are you attributing that to less compliance effect on the crankshaft?

posted by  Wally

so is the lightweight pulley a good idea or not?

posted by  Scionguy

nevermind, he still said wat i imagined he would say. look up on some info on stock underdrive pulleys, aka engine dampers. they are heavy for a reason, to counter-balance the strong vibrations caused by the crankshaft itself. mounting up a lighter damper will throw the delicate balance off, causing vibrations to be able to escape in larger frequencies, causing the engine to last less.

Vibrations = Bad.

Balance = Good.

posted by  Inygknok

Your Message