Prelude vs. Civic Si

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Prelude vs. Civic Si

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on these two cars. I have the 5th gen prelude, and a buddy of mine has a 2000 Si.

We're not really planning to race, he thinks I can take him in a straight line, because he's driven my car and i've driven his. But I dunno. The Si is alot lighter. Maybe sometime we can get down to the track.

Some stats:

Prelude:
hp:195
weight: 2950lbs.
torque: 156ft-lbs. (i think)
redline: 7.5k

Si:
hp: 160
weight: 2,612lbs
torque: 111ft-lbs.
redline: 8k

So what do you guys think? Straight line, handling, overall car? Just comparing the two.

posted by  Vlad

It's a fact that a 1997 Prelude would take a 2000 Si in the quarter mile, by about .4 seconds...

I also like the looks of the Prelude better, compared to the 2000 Civic...not sure how the Si handles, but I'm guessing due to weight it might be a bit better...but it would be pretty close :2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

I drove the Si and it handled pretty good, but I havn't really pushed it in the corners, so I can't really compare.

posted by  Vlad

My integra goes harder than both of them. :smoke: :mrgreen:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Dude, you could so take him. No doubt about it, H22A4>B16A2! :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

The Prelude is quicker and handles better. A lot of people dont realize this but other than the ITR the Prelude was Honda/Acura's best handling car from 1992-1999 (S2000 took over that, this including no NSX of course). The Civic Si doesn't handle as well. Nor does the Integra/GSR.

The Civic Si is slightly more fun to drive IMO because of the higher revving engine.

posted by  thunderbird1100

The 1999-2000 Si's didnt have B16a2's. That's the 170hp JDM engine.

They had a varient of the JDM B16a1 (160hp), might of been the B16a3 (which was also in the Del Sol).

Are you sure about that?
I'm prettty sure I saw B16A2 stamped on my buddy's Blown Si.

That plus this...

Have a looksees!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine#B16A2)

posted by  elchango36

Oh well, didnt know we had a UDSM version of the B16a2, thought it was JDM only.

Gigity Gigity...alright!!!-Quagmire

posted by  elchango36

Oh Quagmire, what Loretta? - Cleveland

Only revs higher by 500 or 600 rpms.

posted by  Vlad

Try about 900-1000.

Redline on the H22a4 is 7200, not 7500 like posted above.

You can easily tell the difference between 7200rpm and 8100rpm.

Hey, Thunderbird, did you get your SI yet? Do you still have the 300ZX and Accord? I thought you were going to sell them.

posted by  aerith

I haven't gotten back home to Atlanta yet. The Si arrived at the dealer on December 10th. I don't get back until thursday late night, probably friday, so I'll know for sure by then if I can go get it. Yes, still have the Accord and 300ZXTT (the Z is at home).

Anxious at all? I had to wait 2 weeks for my car. I was so psyched up, the night before i couldn't sleep. Don't you just hate it when its so close yet so far? :orglaugh:

posted by  aerith

I wish I knew what that felt like. I remember the night I bought my car not being able to sleep becasue I wanted to drive. But I've never (nor has my family) bought a car at the dealer. One day my friends, one day.

posted by  elchango36

Haha, yeah I know the feeling. I remember when I found the car I wanted and went to the guy who was selling it. I inspected it, took it for a test drive, and wanted to take it home that day. Of course I couldn't, because we had to wait for the financial stuff to get cleared. So I was lying awake thinking about it...

Of course, that was nothing compared to my first car, the 98 Cadillac SLS. Only had it for two weeks lol, had to "give" it back to the owner because it had WAY too many problems. But I found it, and was insane about getting to see it and stuff. Same thing, had to wait for financials to clear, and I was seriously about to lose it. Never had a car before, and the prospect of having one but not yet having it was driving me insane. I tell you though, it is one of the best feelings in the world to step into a car that is finally yours, particularly if it is your first. I put 500 miles on it in the first week, before the problems started to hit. :ohcrap:

posted by  hondaman

I totally agree with you. Its just awesome getting a car thats yours, not your parents that they let you drive, but is yours to do what you want with. Its even better if that car is one that you like a lot.

posted by  Vlad

Yeah, i was in love with the current gen TL when it came out in late 2003. I finally eventually worked out the financial crap after a year, and got it. I never thought i would buy such a nice new car at this age; my original target was a 98 240SX with a SR20 swap, or a used IS300....that is until i set my eyes on the sleek and luxurious acura. :drool:

posted by  aerith

That's something I can wholeheardtly agree on...

2004-2006 TL + 6spd + 270hp + LSD = Niiicceeeeee

Your Message