98 eagle talon tsi awd is it worth it?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  98 eagle talon tsi awd is it worth it?

im thinking about buying a 98 eagle talon tsi awd the guy claims to have some stage 1 perfomance work done and says it has around 300 hp. i know alot about hot rods and my own classic car but im just getting into import tuners and really dont know left from right. it looks great and its real quick but its an automatic. its got custom paint shaved door handles and 18" rims. i cant exactly remember what work it has done to it. he wants 6 grand im just wondering if it is a good project car or if the is something better for the price?

posted by  84gprix

Seems good but project car? Seems its all done msotly if its pushin 300hp (which i would request a dyno personally) But what would you want to do to it after that? A project car is aroudn 500-2k not a 6k car with customs body kit and 18" rims.

posted by  Pythias

from what i understand he has some stage 1 upgrades not all and there is always more to do on any car it will never be perfect. it has no spoiler no tent the interior could use some work and no system. the paint he did himself hes a painter and he mixed and sprayed it himself so there is no other car out there like it. i admit its already done up pretty nice but i think it could use some work of my own. he said that if i wanted to spend the money that i could get around 400 to 450 hp out of it at the most do you think that is true or is he blowing smoke up my ass to get me to buy it.

posted by  84gprix

Then I'd say 6k is way too much. You lookin for a project car spend 500-2k my friend bought a turbo manual eclipse pushin around 300 at the crank and needs a little bit of work for 1500 off ebay. Interior was fine system was decent.

posted by  Pythias

i understand that i can get a car for 500-2k but how much will it cost for the body kits and the rims and the performance parts and the wrench hours cuz he has alot of his time invested and i think that is why it is 6k i though it was high when he told me about it but after i saw it and took a ride it seemed resonable so maybe im to used to classic cars where you pay 3k for something without a motor or trans. my bothers 1965 oldsmobile 98 is worth 3k just cuz it starts. im not trying to skip the work i just dont know much about these small motors and how diffent it will be i dont want in over my head thats why im asking

posted by  84gprix

OK, they're worth ALOT less

posted by  jedimario

well is it still worth it to buy just to beat on cuz i need to put my grand prix in the garage and rebuild the motor and i need something and thats kinda what im looking for but if its not worth it then ill look somewhere else and by the way thanks for he help

posted by  84gprix

No not worth it.

For 6k buy a nice 1987-1993 5.0 Mustang, faster, overall worth it.

posted by  Pythias

id buy it, how many miles?

posted by  ToshoRcing

it has 62k miles on it, and my grand prix walks all over 5.0 mustangs it hasa 400 ci small block with 4 bolt main and a manual valve body, 4.11 posi rear end. i had a mustang a 77 wtha 302 i loved it but my dad didnt i had to get rid of it thats ok i snapped the motor mounts anyway

posted by  84gprix

I never said the 5.0 was faster, but overall I said I'd go with that before this 6,000 PROJECT car. And from the looks of it and wat you said you need something while you rebuild the motor in it so I suggested that.

posted by  Pythias

Take the 18" wheels off and do a manual swap and itd be worth it. I doubt with a stage one kit its got 300 whp. Ask for a dyno sheet.

posted by  PontiacFan27

You DO realize that this means war, right? :mrgreen:
--------------------
If the car has less than 75,000 miles, then I'd go for it. If he's pushing 300 horsies, then he probably has a new turbo in, which you can play around with.

Another Gran Turismo tuner....

posted by  Godlaus

i uderstand you can do more to the 5.0 but i already have that type of car so i would like something a little different

posted by  84gprix

from what i understand the upgrades are pretty recent and i know i would need a dyno sheet to check the hp cuz that is alot for it with stage 1 performance if ot a talon or eclipse the only other import car i like is a wrx and those are expensive

posted by  84gprix

Yes, because stage 1 turbo kits, stage one clutches, all that stuff only exists in GT :banghead:

posted by  PontiacFan27

Where did I say that all that stuff only exists in GT?

How many tuners do you know of that refer to their T3/T4, T88 or 20G as a stage 1 or 2 turbo? There are different stages, but they vary too much from brand to brand, so the saying is meaningless.

When someone asks me how much a stage one turbo kit would cost, or that their turbo is a stage one, I immediately think of them as a Video Game Tuner, because that's where this situation originates from. Had they said something along the lines of "I just installed a stage 2 camshaft kit from greddy", then I'd have no problem with them.

posted by  Godlaus

like i said i dont know left from right about turbos or the brands or t3 or t4 so i only quoted what he said and if that is not the right term then ill talk to him and see exactly what it is and if he dont know then he dont know anything about it and hes probably talking shit what brands are better than others or does it matter?

posted by  84gprix

Get the actual modifications from him. It is very possible that the car is pushing 300HP. The stock car needs: upgraded injectors, high flow fuel pump, exhaust, GM MAF-T, AFC, and upgraded turbo to be legitimately pushing 300HP (a FMIC, intake, etc would be a good idea, but not critical). If it's properly tuned with the above upgrades (and proper components) it could easily have that much power. The stock bottom end on a 2G is perfectly stable to about 350HP, a stock 1G bottom end is stable to about 400-450HP (larger rods). The 4G63 is a very potent motor and is extremely upgradable.

Things that should drive the cost of the vehicle down:

it's a Talon
it's an AT

Things that he may be using to justify the cost:

it's AWD
it's a '98
it has performance upgrades
it has some form of "bling" factor (I would put these in the minus column myself).

Seems a bit steep for an AT project car.

posted by  Bino

thanks everybody for the info i learned a lot today and it drives me crazy that its an automatic he says it has a shift kit, i had one in my mustang it was ok i would of rather had a stick or manual valve body like in my grand prix, can you put a manual valve body in that type of automatic trans

posted by  84gprix

Your Message