what to do, what to do

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  what to do, what to do

hey guys, got my eclipse checked out today, the head gasket has to be replaced, the guy said it would be about 1000 to do that, which is mostly in labor, and the heating core is also gonna have to be replaced another 500mostly in labor also, so im thinking about going ahead and getting a honda accord, thatll save alot on insurance, but i dono, i mean what would you guys do

posted by  dsmracersv98

$1000 bucks to replace a head gasket? No sorry...DIY it's not that hard...

posted by  fallenrebel16

pshh yeah, 17 year old kids always have the tools to do that.... i don't work on cars, so id only screw it up worse

posted by  dsmracersv98

You dont have a ratchet set? Its not that difficult. It just takes time. By a Hayne's manual and get working.

posted by  PontiacFan27

It'll more than likely take more than a socket set to chane a headgasket. Given that he's never done one before either.... :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

yeah thanks cliffy, everyone acts like everyone else knows how to do it, why do u think they have mechanic, if it was so easy we wouldnt, id still rather go with a more reliable car than an eclipse, plus im paying 1100 every 6 months for it, i think its less than half that for an accord or civic

posted by  dsmracersv98

No probs. A headgasket aint as easy as some people make out, especially when you consider the fact that the timing has to be set pretty much spot on or you'll suffer numerous problems...If you're paying that much out for it, definatelly swap it for a more reliable car lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

They have mechanics for retarded people that dont even want to learn how to do it and would rather spend shitloads of money. I guess thats you. Its not hard. Its one of the first things I did. Go to autozone and read a Haynes manual on how to do it, youll see its not that difficult if you pull your head out of your ass.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I'm kinda with PontiacFan here, unless you have decided that this car really isn't what you want, then by all means, go for whatever suits you better.

What year is this Eclipse, where you live and how much you thinking of selling it for? lol, just curious.

posted by  car_crazy89

You do realise that by telling this bloke to pull his head out of his arse and do this job himself, you're basically telling him to go and screw up his car?

Are you sure you've even attempted one before? Okay, he could use a haynes manual, but as with all instructions, they aint idiot proof (no offence btw). You need more than just a ratchet and a few spanners to do this successfully, too. For a start, unless you're working on an old Austin Metro, you'll need a Torque Wrnech to torque the head bolts up when you've replaced them, this also has to be done in sequence so as not to mess up the gasket and cause further hassle.

He also has to get his timing set correctly as if it's as little as a tooth out, the vehicle will suffer running problems. So I'll tell ya what, PontiacFan, dont go 'round telling inexperienced members that they're idiots if they cant complete a complex job that could, in a worste case scenario, screw up their car :2cents: :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

you guys are rediculous, im still going to get a honda, i planned to get one after high school anyways, why waste anymore money on the eclipse, im not a redneck that grew up doing these things with my dad, we always paid someone to do these kind of things

posted by  dsmracersv98

Just ignor PontiacFan...if everyone had his opinion, there would be np Mechanic's in employnent :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Well you did ask what others would do, and some would fix it (as you can tell) and others would sell and buy what they wanted (in your case, a Honda). I say that if you want a Honda then go for it, less on gas, insurance, etc. plus it's what your like and it interests you.

posted by  car_crazy89

So you mean to say that fixing your own car somehome labels you as a hick, redneck, or white trash? You are gravely mistaken. Some of the most sophisticated people my parents know (doctors, programmers, etc.) repair their own cars, out of passion. Just because you have 1000 to fix something it doesnt mean that you cant get your hands greasy and do it for 500. I still cant believe how ignorant you are to what everyone is saying. They give you advice on how to fix your car and save money, and you call them rediculous. Why dont you stop being a prick, and respect PontiacFan for actually giving valuable advice and trying to resolve the issue for you. If you dont like it, go and pay people to do it for you. Im sure they will purposely break something to get you to come back, and that might be the raeson it costs you 2200 a year to keep the car.
In closing, find a new shop, and most importantly a new attitude. :2cents:

posted by  newyorker

You ignorant little twink. What does being a redneck have to do with the ability to repair cars? What you mean to say about yourself is that you are a stupid, spoiled, uneducated, untalented loser who judges people by your own inability to do something and also by your parents financial standing. I personally CHOSE to repair cars for a living, and a lucrative living it is, and I have multiple degrees and certifications in other fields.

If you operate on a plane so much higher than us stupid rednecks, why are you here asking inane questions about your car instead of simply taking the appropriate action? Answer; Because you lack the intelligence and intestinal fortitude to solve the problem yourself.

Do the world a favor and walk in front of a big truck today. The only thing you're good for is worm food.

posted by  vwhobo

Wow aren't you a snobby little bastard, so are you saying I'm a redneck (more than I already am) for fixing my own truck?? Thats extremely ignorant and you my friend should have your leg broken so we can shoot you.

posted by  99integra

What are you syaing rednecks can't shoot? We don't need him to have his leg broken so we can shoot him, He can run and we ill still blow his stupid ass off this planet.

posted by  Pythias

you guys are taking this way out of context, moving to Tn, thats all i seem to see around here, and well, they all know how to fix cars better than a lot of mechanics, im not bias towards "rednecks" anyhow

posted by  dsmracersv98

Son I dont understand a word you said. :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

I admit, I'm kinda 'redneck' but not really a bad thing lol.

I don't think he meant it in a rude way, he just used the wrong wording. He didn't really come here to judge everyone, he came to ask a question then made a mistake that was taken in a way it was never meant to.

Of course anyone who works on a car is not 'redneck', it's a passion, kinda like sculpting and things like that. I think he already had his mind made up though on what he wanted to do but not everyone said what he was thinking.

posted by  car_crazy89

If he had his mind made up he could have casually said "Thanks but I think il just get the other car" instead of basically saying "Thank you and **** you" :2cents:

posted by  newyorker

It's true, I know and after the first few posts it was obvious he pretty much knew what he wanted to do and it wasn't fix the Eclipse.

posted by  car_crazy89

Yea..Ecplipses surprisingly arent very famous on the reliability standards. :screwy:

posted by  newyorker

I wonder what year, how much and where it is if he's gonna sell, lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

What do you mean?

posted by  newyorker

Well if he wants to get a Honda, then he won't need his Ecplise anymore and won't have to fix it, could sell to make some money towards a Honda.

posted by  car_crazy89

Oo true that true that...i can be a bit slow at times :doh:

posted by  newyorker

From what I´ve seen of this thread, he´s only defending himself from coments in the below quote....am I the only one who sees this...

posted by  Cliffy

That was funny shit though. :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

Spose so...

I must calm down a little lol :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

...So are we shooting him or not? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Im game :hi:

posted by  newyorker

Na just loosen up a bit. :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

you guys need to just mellow out, i didn't mean it like it sounded, my bad on that, im friends with some rednecks here, and I am set on getting the honda, i probably will sell the eclipse, its a 98 for whoever said something about that earlier, my brother had the head gasket blow in his truck, he sold it for like 750, he had no use for that truck anymore though anyways, so hopefully i can get around that

posted by  dsmracersv98

More so than Neons though.

posted by  Pythias

Damn, if you were asking for around $750 I'd love to take it (too bad you probably live quite far away).

posted by  car_crazy89

Moving from one slow pile to another

posted by  PontiacFan27

so where is the car now? (you can pm me to retain your anonymity if you like)

posted by  dodger65

whats that suppose to mean?

posted by  dsmracersv98

They both have headgasket problems. I havent had a single concern with my car yet *knock on wood* and ive been tearing it apart for almost 5k miles.

posted by  newyorker

Your Message