Need advice for an Impreza

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Need advice for an Impreza

Hey, I'm going to lease a stock Impreza WRX from a dealership. I plan on leasing this car until I own it. I was wondering what would be the difference on the car's endurance in choosing between manual and automatic. My parents are really, really against manual, since this is my first car. The dealership told me that they can get me an automatic wrx, but automatic is really damaging to the gears and transmission. Is this true? Because my parents say that they were just trying to sell me the manual on the lot.

posted by  Chopsui

It really doesn't matter, both the AT and Manual are too fast for a first driver. You're really splitting hairs.

posted by  Bino

and him trying to sell you the manual is bs, b/c the AT is more expensive, thus giving him a better commision, he should try and sell you the AT

posted by  ride3k

Manual for a car like that is the better choice. I know how you feel man my parents were against me getting a car on stick. If they wouldnt have been, I wouldve had one. For a first car, the WRX is simply too much. Im not sure of the exact number of horses, but it should be enough to rip you to the side of the road if you make one small mistake. My advice. If you want stick, get something cheaper, so at least you might get your dad to agree.

posted by  newyorker

Before leasing, I would suggest you do a defensive driving course in a bid to have your brain override your gonads.

Nice choice of car regardless of tranny.

posted by  Wally

Automatic isn't damaging to the transmission...Why not wait a year, get some other car for the time, like an Integra or something, and learn standard transmissions there...

:2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

why not buy yourself a nice 1st car, like a accord or some toyota sedan, something that'll last a while and is dependant

posted by  Stem

wrx too fast for a first driver??? my first car is 300 horses....not fast enough for me, thinking about goin a bigger turbo.

posted by  silvia_star

whats your name? i just wanna know so when i see the next "16yr old driver killed" story i can look for your name

posted by  ride3k

What? Thats like saying a diesel car is really damaging to the diesel engine.

posted by  Mathew

when I said it was my first car, I meant the first I would buy. I've been driving my mom's Infiniti Q45 for a while.. :cussing: I actually learned how to drift in that car =) I don't think I'm going to get a wrx, its jus ttoo expensive and so is the insurance, maybe i'll get a used 325i instead.

posted by  Chopsui

My first car was a manual. Its pretty easy to learn. Once you have the basics down (which takes minutes), its all practice.

posted by  PontiacFan27

early 90's 525i 4dr manual would be nice start, lots of potential and fun to slide around...hell of a lot cheaper than impreza

posted by  NoahT

Get an SRT-4. It only comes on stick, and with the money you save from the Impreza, you can move to a bigger turbo kit and sportier suspention.

posted by  newyorker

Or you could get an eclipse instead of a SRT-4, and with the money you save, you can move to a bigger turbo kit and a sportier suspension.
--------------

90% of teenage beginner drivers get in accidents in their first 2 years of driving. That percentage climbs even more with 2 door cars, and 300+ HP cars.

I would suggest against a lease at this time in your life (it WILL bite you in the ass later), and would simply drop the dreams of the WRX. Get yourself a beater, and save up the money.

posted by  Godlaus

But the eclipse is utter trash.

posted by  newyorker

I hate the smell of ignorance in the night.

posted by  Godlaus

My neighbor takes his in every 3 weeks for repairs..its just from observations.

posted by  newyorker

rofl, and how do you come to this conclusion? hmm, 2nd gen eclipse seems to be a preeeeeeety popular car, almost unlimted parts for it and they are very nice to work with those 4g63's, tons of mods. the also look pretty sporty and are fairly reliable. i want to know why you call it trash? its obvious why the neons trash (very underpowered, not bad looking, but not great either) but why the eclipse? i think you dont like mitsu... first my poor 3kgt and now the eclipse...

by the way, if you cannot detect the general tone of srcasm, blame it on the damn internet...

posted by  ride3k

1. That's only ONE eclipse, out of hundreds of thousands of eclipses.

2. You don't know how he drives.

3. You don't know what he's taking it in for.

What now, neon lover?

5. Eclipses are incredibly cheap to take into 11s. As opposed to your overpowered FWD grocery getter.

posted by  Godlaus

Baaaaa-ZING!

posted by  Mathew

Whatever it is its certainly no ****ing oil changes. :2cents: :doh:

posted by  newyorker

Are they really underpowered? Lets compare shall we? 1998 Dodge Neon SOHC and 1998 Honda Civic LX
Neon - 132/129
Civic - 106/103

Now lets compare the higher models (im using the civic LX and EX because there was no Si in 1998 and becuase its pretty much the one car you can compare a Neon to...name another one and you get a cookie)
Neon DOHC and Civic EX

Neon - 150/133
Civic - 127/107

posted by  newyorker

150hp is still underpowered budy, and you forgot to mention that the civic lasts longer, retains value better, and is a hell of a lot easier to mod, oh ya, and its cheaper

posted by  ride3k

A civic is cheaper? 1998 Civic EX 100k miles VS. 1998 dodge Neon DOHC 100k miles...both stick..care to prove that theory?

posted by  newyorker

whatever you decide on
dont lease

posted by  windman

But, it could be for a tire rotation; a tire change; a check engine light; or he had an inept mechanic replace the top end when he forgot to replace the timing belt (a common problem on eclipses). Hence, the inept mechanic left the cam off by one degree, and bent a valve. The owner didn't know this until he took it home, and now, 3 weeks later, it's burning oil. He takes it in again and the mechanic messes up again.

In this case^^ it's the mechanic's fault, not the car's. Also, recently, when i replaced the power steering train on my taurus, I didn't fit the return hose properly, so that the hose rubbed against the downpipe. It burnt the hose and is leaking again. That's an error on my part, not the cars.

Furthermore; when somebody wants to take their eclipse to 400 horses; they need a dynometer and a tuning computer to check sensor readings. Those cost around a thousand dollars, and is probably cheaper to take to a tuning shop. Bolting on parts is only 10% of the work. Yu don't know what he's taking it in for; other than that you see it leaving his driveway.
--------------
I'm still waiting for you to try and refute the other four points...
-------------

The naturally aspirated neon is acutally perfectly powered, seeing as how you only need 60 horses to get around town and do errands. If you wanted performance, you'd get the SRT-4 version. You don't buy the version meant for economy, and then complain about the performance.

And as for the civic lasting longer; it's all about how well you take care of it and drive it. And I wouldn't really consider it easier to mod.

posted by  Godlaus

It is if you take into account the ridiculous amount of aftermarket support they have compared to other sport compacts.

posted by  PontiacFan27

i would try, but cant seem to find neon's on autotrader... hmm, geuss evreyone realized the wornt worth it to try to sell. so maybe your rigth, cheaper they are, but only b/c only 2 are being sold while about 80 civics are being sold all for under 5 grand, and you rele think 1ook mile in less than 10 years? that means it was put through hell, after 7 years you shoudlnt have more than about 85k on a car.

and being easier to mod, im going from a more available parts approach, not actually difficulty. I garuntee ill find many more parts for a 98 civic, than a 98 neon

posted by  ride3k

Check eBay. Maybe more people arent selling them because they are happy with them??? :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

But a few days ago you would take an Eclipse/Talon?

http://car-forums.com/talk/showpost.php?p=158884&postcount=96

posted by  nsupra27

The talon is not the eclipse. And im talking about the TSi Talon there, and the Talon is not the Eclipse. Im confused. I would take a Talon TSi and nothing but from those 2 cars. Thats it :doh:

posted by  newyorker

eagle talon = 1nd and 2rd gen eclipse, and the plymouth laser is the same as the 1st gen talon and eclipse.

edit: oops, had the generations offset by one. :doh:

posted by  pik_d

First off, the Talon and Eclipse are pretty much the exact same car. Same platform, same parts, etc... And second, if you are referring to the Non-turbo model of a 2nd gen Eclipse, I believe it has the exact same engine as your car... :thumbs:

posted by  nsupra27

nah, the tsi is the turbo model.

posted by  pik_d

What the hell are you talking about?
I said that if he was referring to the Non-turbo model(ESi, RS, GS) when he said the Eclipse sucks earlier in this topic, it has the same engine as his car, the 420a.
I'm not talking about the TSi right now.

posted by  nsupra27

oh, oops. i thought you were asking if he was reffering to the tsi now... dunno why i messed that one up...

posted by  pik_d

Pik D, I'm curious, why the hell do you have a bunny in your avatar?

posted by  99integra

The Talon is the Eclipse, with only different taillights, spoiler, and bumpers. The Talon ESi is the Eclipse RS and GS. The TSi is the same thing as the Eclipse GS-T. The Eclipse GSX is the same thing as the Talon TSi AWD. Maybe you should learn something before you open your mouth, twinkie.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Did you ever think that I like the Talon, and not the eclipse? Because they are styled differently? Maybe you should think before jumping the gun. Twink

posted by  newyorker

Ok then Twinkie, think about it. You said the eclipses are utter trash. Were you referring to the styling alone when you said this? I don't think so, and if you were, then god only know you have learned nothing from your time spent on here. Suppose you do only prefer the Talon because of the styling, there is nto an enormous amount of difference to be able to say, "Oh those eclipses are utter trash, but the Talon's are nice." NOW had you said something like I prefer the Talon to the eclipse styling that would be different. But you didn't. Just as well you said you would only take the TSI turbo Talon I believe? So you are NOT only talking about the styling. But Pontiacfan pointed out there is a model of the Eclipse that is about the same as that model of the Talon.

Think, Type, Submit. Twinkie. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

Do the eclipse and talon share the exact same engine?

posted by  newyorker

They share just about the exact same everything.

posted by  nsupra27

But im asking about the engine.

posted by  newyorker

Yes, 420a and 4g63.
Like PontiacFan and I both said, they are basically the same car, with only minor visual differences.

posted by  nsupra27

You basically answered yourself by quoting him.

posted by  Pythias

In that case I was wrong and apoligize :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

it's the rabbit from monty python and the holy grail, a movie i enjoy (in the right company).

also because its just... odd to have as an avatar. :mrgreen:

posted by  pik_d

Thats a fat ****ing rabbit

posted by  newyorker

God I LOVE that movie
"We request a shrubbery" :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Looks kinda like my rabbit (except mine has grey spots). Pretty fat and lazy, even when you let him out of the cage and the kitten starts trying to play with him, he just lays there :screwy:

posted by  car_crazy89

better than your shit that you drive

posted by  silvia_star

96-98 civic type r - 190hp

now where's my cookie???

posted by  silvia_star

and then their's the talon es models too.

posted by  silvia_star

now how did we get from a car posts to a rabbit?

posted by  silvia_star

And do they have them in the states? I dont think they do. I was comparing the lowest civic and the highest civic to the lowest neon and the highest neon. You may have your cookie, its alreay up your ass.

posted by  newyorker

At least I do drive. Lets see a picture of your "car". I love it how I roll up to these wanabe racers in accords and civics and they laugh at my car and then get dusted. Youre next on my list. :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

Bro! for your first car, its a
2.0L DOHC INTERCOOLED TURBO
DOHC 16V Horizontally Opposed High Output 4 Cylinder
Turbo Charged
Maximum Boost Pressure: 700 mmHg (13.5 PSI)
Displacement: 2.0 Liters (1994 CC/122 Cubic Inches)
Bore/Stroke: 92 x 75mm (3.62 x 2.95 Inches)
Horsepower: 227 HP @ 6000 RPM Torque: 217 LB-FT @ 4000 RPM
Compression Ratio: 8.0:1
Engine Type: EJ20

not a good idea that car packs a punch really not a good idea for your first car

I own a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS NA AWD its a great car, perfect car to begin with
1998-2001
Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Naturally aspirated
Engine Type SOHC 16-valve 2.5 Liter H4 w/SMFI*
Engine Size 150 cid/2457 cc
Horsepower 165 @ 5600 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 166 @ 4000 RPM
Wheelbase/Width/Length 99.2"/67.1"/172.2"
Transmission Five-speed manual
Curb Weight 2857 pounds
Fuel Capacity 15.9 gallons
Tires (F/R) 205/55R16 all season
Brakes (F/R) Disc (ABS)/disc (ABS)
Drive Train Front-engine/all-wheel-drive
Vehicle Type Five-passenger/four-door
Domestic Content N/A
Coefficient of Drag (Cd.) 0.35this is a good beginner car it can also be upgraded to the WRX turbo charged 2.0L or the WRX STI 2.5L Turbocharge and 6 speed trans.
and they range around $7,000 to $12,000
automatic or stick its a fun car to drive. :thumbs:

posted by  wrxsti2000

owe... think about revising those colors, the blue on green is hard to read... try another color like white or something. :screwy:

oh, and where are you getting such information that includes tire specifications aod coefficient of drag?

posted by  pik_d

You mean like the regular forum default colors like normal people use? What a great freakin' idea. :doh:

Is your background green? Mine's gray.

posted by  vwhobo

yea, that was my point basicly... stick with what the forum has, because suprise, it's easy to read. :mrgreen:

and uh... yea, its a dull green.

posted by  pik_d

MY EYES MY EYES! I'VE BURNT THE RETINA ON MY EYES!

posted by  Wally

Um what is a Civic Type R? If there is such a thing they have got to be really uncommon as I haven't ever heard of it.

posted by  thermo

Are you kidding or serious?

posted by  99integra

with big sharp, pointy teeth..

posted by  windsonian

i sure hope he's kidding

posted by  mx3_monster

Your Message