2005 Toyota Corolla S Problem

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  2005 Toyota Corolla S Problem

Okay so I have had this car for about 6 months. There is about 4600 miles on it. I have been noticing, everytime I go to fill up the gas, that it only fills up 9-10 gallons and then stops. On the Toyota website, it says that the Corolla S has a maximum capacity of 13.2 gallons. So why does the gas only fill up 9-10 gallons? I wait to fill up the gas until the gas light shows, and still this happens. Is there a problem? Is it common for this to happen? Is it normal? Also, this car has an estimated milage of 30 - city, and 38 - highway. However, I am not getting that. With my 10 gallon gas tank filled up, I should be able to drive 300 miles in the city, but only get around 250. I am actually supposed to be getting 396 miles with the 13.2 gallon tank. So is there a problem? Should I get this checked out by Toyota. Does anyone else have an 05 Corolla S that is facing similar problems? Is this even a problem? Thanks a lot!

posted by  AbN610

Youll never get the true gas milage they say. My dad has an 05 corolla LE and we dont have this happening. Word of advice. Dont drive untill the take is almost empry because it will ruin the injectors. We knew someone with a Civic that was doing that for a while, and then the bill came to around 800 dollars. As for the gas shutting off, does the needle go all the way to the top or not? If not then just keep filling it. It might just be a safety mechanism of some sort, but I doubt it. Answer my stuff and I will ask my dad how his thing works. Also if you want better milage, make sure your tires are pumped good, and smoothly accelerate, dont hammer the pedal.

posted by  newyorker

Really? Hows about you give us the technical explanation on that one. This will be interesting to hear. Remember, I know the answer.

posted by  vwhobo

I dont know a technical explanation for that, but I DO know what happened to someone that drove it to empty. Thats enough to have me never drive when I have less than 1/2 of a tank. I never let it cross that line.

posted by  newyorker

Okay, so now you're making decisions based on wives tales. Then you take your "experience" and use it to give "advice" to others. That right there is the #1 cause of people in this industry having problems with customers. Because they've heard bullsh*t from somebody like you so many times they think it's fact. Then when they're presented with fact, they don't believe it. I wish pepole like you would die.

posted by  vwhobo

Then why dont YOU google it and tell us what is the cause of this problem if you know so much.

posted by  newyorker

the typical thing i hear is that people say you shouldnt run it right to the bottom of the tank as dirt can get pumped through and into the injectors blocking them, but how the is dirt meant to get into a sealed tank? and the fuel filter would stop the dirt gettign through anyway... stop moaning an educate the poor boy, how are you gonna change his views unless you tell whats right???? stop being an ass and tell people where there going wrong instead of just pointing it out... :thumbs:

posted by  Mk3golfer

Unlike you, I don't need to Google my information. I said nothing about the information you supplied about this persons particular dilemma. Actually you did pretty good for once. But then you just had to keep typing and tell us all about empty tanks and bad injectors. It's not my fault you can't shut up while you're ahead.

posted by  vwhobo

Better yet Twinkie why don't you go ahead and tell us everything you know on the subject. Seems to me you're the moaner who interjected your drivel into this thread. Go ahead, give it a shot, tell us something about this situation that you can justify either through common sense or fact. The floor is yours.

posted by  vwhobo

Note how you never give an answer but simply egg everyone on to do it. Could this be because you yourself dont know jack shit and just want others to lay it out while you search www.howstuffworks.com and google.com for the right answers? :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

ok first of all
the gas light doesnt come on when the tank is empty
otherwise whats the point
oops im out of gas yep the light just came on
great guess im doing the gas can strut
the light warns you get to a station soon
as to exactly how much gas is left, in your case looks like about 3 gallons

another pissing contest huh boys????

posted by  windman

I would much rather here you're 'drivel' seeing as you're the one slating everyone else! Like i said, i hear these things from people, but that doesn't mean really listen to it. I run my tank low all the time, and I've never had a problem with my injectors...

Are you going to give us your opinion on this matter or are you simply going to quote this and moan again? :thumbs:

posted by  Mk3golfer

You say you fill up when the low fuel light comes on, but in some cars I believe, the low fuel light comes on between 2-3 gallons before empty, so when you go to fill up, you probably already still have about 3 gallons left in your tank, which means it would stop around 10 gallons as you have already said.

posted by  nsupra27

Oh, little man, how much that hurts. After I've spent hours of my time replying to your barrage PM's answering your questions about automotive repair, education and certifications, how to get into the business and whatever else you've hit me with. To bad the members of this forum couldn't all be in one place at one time. The internet is a very sterile place where you can say anything you want. On the other hand, in the 3D world, your last outburst would be far overshadowed by my presence and your insignificance. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

posted by  vwhobo

At least someone has managed to answer the question... :thumbs:

posted by  Mk3golfer

I apretiate the help youve offered me, but I dont apretiate constant putdowns. Just because you help me out and then treat me like shit doesnt mean I will kiss your ass about it.

posted by  newyorker

I don't want you to kiss my ass. As a matter of fact, that's why you're pissed at me now. You tried to kiss my ass for weeks, several other members even commented on it, and it didn't work. Now you're trying to be a tough guy. Won't work either. You have the right to think before typing, just not the ability. If you just took the time to turn on your brain before putting your fingers to the keys, you wouldn't be in this situation.

All you have to do is act semi-intelligently and I won't be on your ass. If I do get on your ass there's a reason for it, but you're too hardheaded to figure it out. Maybe that's why you've been banned from this site five or six times... You just don't learn very fast. Think about it.

posted by  vwhobo

One time was for "advertising" even though I took down the link, and another was because I posted steven's cell phone number. I give the best advice that I can, and you still come at me. Not only me but others as well that come here seeking help, and find your rude antics prancing about.

posted by  newyorker

Well if you KNOW he wants the advice and a little help, why dont you help him out then? :thumbs:

posted by  Mk3golfer

Maybe the 30 mpg refers to imperial gallons :mrgreen:

As far as the warning light goes, well yes it's just a warning light, that can be affected by things such as inclination. Don't you have a fuel gauge and distance to empty readout?

If it's driving you mad maybe you should ask Toyota if there has been a TSB issued.

posted by  Wally

Sometimes the best advice is none at all. If you don't have the answer, the best thing to do is shut up so people who might don't have to shout over you.

If mommy and daddy haven't taught you this yet, it's time for Uncle vwhobo to teach you. You learn a lot more by listening than you do by talking. Spend less time typing and more time reading and before you know it you might know something. The proof is in the pudding... As of this typing you sit at 23.54 posts PER DAY. That doesn't leave you much time to learn.

posted by  vwhobo

Yes but with you I have to post that many times to actually wait and get an answer thats not comical. You should really stop insulting people. Im sure you can do a lot for the people here if you just didnt act like such a dick.

posted by  newyorker

Correction. I already have done alot for people on this forum. Unfortunately I've gotten tired of jerkoffs who can't say thank you, expect me to have a crystal ball or want to argue even when I can prove what I'm saying is right. So now instead of trying hard to help I just have fun at the expense of others and help when I feel like it. People like you are why people like me get this attitude in the first place. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

I give you credit when credit is due. Its not like when you gave me the ASE and business info I tokd you to stick a crankshaft in your ass. You just need to lay off the insults. Just because people in the past werent good to you doesnt mean that the new people wont be. You just set them on teh track that youre an asshole that knows nothing.

posted by  newyorker

Everyone including you is entitled to their opinion, no matter how incorrect it may be. Before you spend your time telling me how to behave, you need to clean up your act in a big way. Once again, that comes under the heading of listening instead of talking, something you still need to learn.

posted by  vwhobo

Well just sitting and reading all of the time gives nothing. Waiting for someones correct input can be a long and painful experience. I make educated guesses based on my mediocre experience and the things I hear and see. When I am saying something I dont just pull it out of my crack. I use logic, knowledge (or sometimes lack thereof), and common sense. The answer isnt always right, but at least I get corrected and learn that way. Participation is vital to learning. Science class is boring to hell without the occasional Lab time, and im sure you agree. Someone can tell me how to replace brake pads all day long, but unless I actually see it done, and do it myself, I wont learn it. Sure I will make a mistake or 2, but thats the process of learning. In school you dont just listen you actually do things. I dont know what you mean by not saying anything, but I certainly dont learn that way.

posted by  newyorker

Hobo,

Filling up late damages the injectors? Is this true, and if so why?

Personally, I didn't hear about this before, but I don't know 2 cents about cars to begin with. I tried google, ehow, and howstuffworks; none of which supplied me the correct answer. Anywhere else to look?

posted by  Nissan_Altima

I'm too scared to even think of what i would say if you were asking me... I'm questioning my own beliefs... :tard:

posted by  Mk3golfer

No, this is a wives tale.

You just don't get it, do you? This isn't science class, this is people looking for help. All your yabbering does is confuse the situation. And to say you make educated guesses is ridiculous. To do that, first you have to be educated. The only part you have covered is the guess.

posted by  vwhobo

Ask masha cherneykina's dad what happened to his civic when he ran it to the low bone of the tank. Youll learn quick

posted by  newyorker

There you go again. See if it was the way you wanted, the forum would be "Hobo's Lair" and it would just be you helping people (or insulting them), because according to you, anyone without at least 30 ASE Certs isnt a valuable word.

posted by  newyorker

But like i said before, i run mine into the red all the time, and i've never had fuelling problems... his problem probably would have happened anyway! :screwy:

posted by  Mk3golfer

Might just be a matter of time. It could have been something else that caused the guys problem in the civic we dont know, but he was running to red, and all of a sudden, the shit just broke.

posted by  newyorker

Are you sure that's the actual reason it happened? I've seen people running their tanks into red-line before and nothing happened. Maybe it happened because he fully ran out of gas? I've heard that when that happens, you are nearly guarenteed a problem when re-starting the car. However, I'm not sure if that's true or not.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Unless you can link me to where I said that, you once again have told a lie. I said experience and knowledge, neither of which you have. One of your parents should have beat the sh*t out of you years ago. Maybe it would have knocked some sense into you.

So here's the challenge. Link us to where I said "anyone without at least 30 ASE Certs isnt a valuable word" or anything even close. If you can't, your end of the deal is to not post in this forum under any name for 10 days. If you can, I'll apologize and do the same. Your turn twinkie, put up or shut up.

posted by  vwhobo

Under certain circumstances with certain cars, running it completely out of gas can cause a hard start the first time. In the grand scheme of things, this is another wives tale.

posted by  vwhobo

I never quoted you on that, but that is pretty much the impression you made. You think that if you dont know everything, then you dont know anything. Sometimes someones small and stupid input can come in quite useful to maybe opening a new area of research for those seeking help. You just dont get it and never will.

posted by  newyorker

Okay, so let me translate your post;

Yeah, that's it.

posted by  vwhobo

Showing your hard side once again I see. Being a dick doesnt make you any more appealing to anyone.

posted by  newyorker

Then why are you always trying to get on it? Grow up junior, in the real world you wouldn't even be allowed in the conversation.

posted by  vwhobo

Then I guess its a good thing this is only a forum. :screwy:

posted by  newyorker

Your Message