eclipse purchase

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  eclipse purchase

ok, if im looking for a 95-99 eclipse with any type of mile under 150k, perferably a turbo'd version (GS-t, GSX), what could i expect to be looking at price wise? under 10k? under 5k? and im just asking from what youve seen or heard, or just what you think the car's value is rele worth

posted by  ride3k

Shit if you got a turbo with over 100k you would have to rebuild it

posted by  99integra

Probably 5-10k depending on condition and year.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I paid $7500 for mine, the engine had 700 miles on a rebuild, the car had 88,500 miles on it. Realistically, I overpaid, but it was worth it to me. Mine's a '95 GSX with all options except ABS and AT (leather, changer, sunroof, 5spd, etc). Expect to pay a fair bit more for a manual transmission car (the AT's don't hold their value).

For a good car with miles around 100K, I'd say about $6-$7K is a pretty reasonable deal. It's really not uncommon to find them in the $4500-$5500 range, especially if you're willing to get a Talon instead of an Eclipse (better looking car anyway). The Talons are generally a fair bit cheaper than an Eclipse.

This should give you a starting point:
http://motors.search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&s aspi=2&from=R10&samcm=6028&catref=C12&catref=C6&satitle=%28gsx%2C+tsi%29&sa cat=6001%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fts=2&fsop=9%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&c opagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&a39=-24&a38v1y=&a38v2y=&a10239=-24&gcs= 13&pfid=2473&reqtype=1&pfmode=1&alist=a39%2Ca41%2Ca38v1y%2Ca38v2y%2Ca10239% 2Ca3801%2Ca85%2Ca10246%2Ca33512%2Ca10241&pf_query=%28gsx%2C+tsi%29&sargn=-1 %26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=97520&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

posted by  Bino

Just curious. If you already have the 3kGT, why buy an eclipse?

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Second car. Once you really get into the game and live alone youll want the same thing. Good car, and then a neon for the wintertime. :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

um, why the hell would i want a fwd drive car in the winter? and ya, im getting it after i sell my 3kgt, this thing aint got enough life in it to take me thorugh college. And yes i know that 95-99 models will have worn out turbos, thats why the first thing i would plan on doing is a 20g trubo swap =P, after the nessescary premods of course.

also, when i move to college i plan on owning two cars, a truck for hauling/winter/picking up chicks that like trucks , and a nice fast, lowered sports car, hence the eclipse.

posted by  ride3k

:roll:

posted by  99integra

There is no specific reason a turbo would be worn out in 100K miles. Many turbos last much longer than that. They operate under the same principle as the journal bearings in your motor. Unless the turbo is abused, it could be in perfect operating condition at 100K miles.

posted by  Bino

would u rather have a rwd car in the winter? :screwy:

posted by  V-Tec

He would probably rather have a 4WD pickup or an AWD Eclipse... just a thought...

posted by  Bino

find me a rwd eclipse, and i will slap myself in the face

posted by  ride3k

http://ndra.nopi.com/ndra_2k4/kd_dsp_racer.cfm?vrid=62 :mrgreen:

posted by  pik_d

The fastest 4 cyl car in the world is a 6 second RWD 4G63 Eclipse

posted by  PontiacFan27

6.92 in the 1320 if memory serves.

posted by  Bino

6.97@198 mph

posted by  PontiacFan27

So thats more like 7 is it not?

posted by  newyorker

Once again, bullsh*t being passed of as facts. The fastest and quickest four cylinder quarter mile car THAT I AM AWARE OF, is the Paradise Express turbocharged, VW engined dragster of Kris Lauffer. It's run 6.60 and 203.98 in the 1/4. Just a bit quicker than opinion boys numbers. This isn't the best pic but it's the only one I can find.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/vwhobo/8676f179.jpg

I'm sure that somewhere out the another car might be faster. I'd be interested to see it.

posted by  vwhobo

And that thing runs on 4 cylinders?

posted by  newyorker

Four cylinder, horizontally opposed, air-cooled.

posted by  vwhobo

very cool :drool:

posted by  glagon1979

Nice!

posted by  newyorker

Hmm, is that a production I4?

posted by  PontiacFan27

What is your point, assclown?

posted by  vwhobo

Just for my own curiousity, is any portion of that motor an OEM piece? I'll assume the case has at least been strengthened, but is it by chance billet?

posted by  Bino

Maybe the oil fill cap. The case isn't billet, but it is an aftermarket piece.

posted by  vwhobo

That it's time for him to backpedal again and say that when he said, "The fastest 4 cyl car in the world is a 6 second RWD 4G63 Eclipse." he actually said, "The fastest 4 cyl car in the world (with some factory parts in its block, and in a body that resembles a production car) is a 6 second RWD 4G63 Eclipse, therefore that VW doesn't actually count as rebuttal."

:thumbs:

posted by  ChrisV

*slaps self in face*
ok, now find me a rwd eclipse that i can get and drive on the street and in my price range and then i will hit myself in the testicles

posted by  ride3k

http://labattz.com/Misc/RWD%20DSM%20Burnout.wmv

That's gonna hurt.

posted by  Bino

i have a feeling that isnt in my price range/not for sale

phew, testicles are safe

posted by  ride3k

I can't imagine it not being in your price range, he just welded up a gear in the transaxle and removed the front driveshafts (plugged the holes). But I don't think it's for sale... you got lucky :mrgreen: .

posted by  Bino

that is pretty cool though

posted by  ride3k

good luck finding a rwd eclipse...i have NEVER seen a rwd eclipse for sale. get an awd...but if you are concerned with price, go for a 2g talon tsi awd. they are the exact same car, minus a few visual parts. i never understood why they r usualy found cheaper than eclipses tho.

posted by  Tooyoung225

Hey, you're a pretty sharp one, aren't you. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

What's that supposed to mean??

I honestly have never seen one for sale...i've seen them...just not for sale...the only one's i HAVE seen 4 sale are the AWD's and FWD's

posted by  Tooyoung225

Really? I mean are there alot of RWD Eclipses where you live?

posted by  vwhobo

not really, hence the reason i rarely see them...it's kinda suprising tho, considering st. louis is a big DSM town.

posted by  Tooyoung225

So like what years did DSM make RWD Eclipses and Talons?

posted by  vwhobo

well it's my understanding that they never did, but people modified there's to make them rwd...i only know of fwd and awd being produced.

posted by  Tooyoung225

Thank god you answered that one correctly or you woulda been deemed the dumbest noob (other than M3 kid whatever) on the forum :doh:

posted by  99integra

well see that is the difference between me and him...i know what i'm talking about...mostly when it comes to dsm cars. i am big into cars, and am part of a pit crew for a guy that drag races a 91 talon that runs low 11's right now. so i know what im talking about.

posted by  Tooyoung225

trust me, what points you gained for yourself when you let us know you knew there were no factory RWD eclipses, you just lost. :doh:

vwhobo was just testing to see if you knew what you were talking about. he knows his stuff too.

posted by  pik_d

ok...sorry i was just comfiming what you said. didnt think i would get bashed for being right

posted by  Tooyoung225

Really? I had to read that twice before I caught it. So where does this guy "drag race" his "11 second Talon" and what exactly do you do on the "pit crew"?

posted by  vwhobo

no, you'd get bashed for this, "well see that is the difference between me and him...i know what i'm talking about". :wink2:

posted by  pik_d

well im not gunna deny the truth.

posted by  Tooyoung225

are you saying vwhobo doesnt know what he's talking about?

posted by  pik_d

well, he "drag races" his "11 second talon" at Gateway International Raceway right near St. Louis, MO. as part of the pit I do the tuning, and repairs (as needed). i also am at his house anytime he wants to do somthing with it to help him, but thats more like a friend helping a friend.

posted by  Tooyoung225

What class does he race in and when you're tuning, what is the gap on the plugs?

posted by  vwhobo

no i'm not...where would you get that idea from??

posted by  Tooyoung225

oh, by "him" you mean the M3 kid.

sorry.

posted by  pik_d

he runs in the 4-cyl fwd/awd class. we usuall put the gaps on the plugs at about .020-.022....too much higher, we might have som misfires. so far so good tho

posted by  Tooyoung225

Heads-up or bracket? What are his 60's?

posted by  vwhobo

ok im confused....restate ur question. :doh:

posted by  Tooyoung225

usually heads up...his best 60 was 1.482

posted by  Tooyoung225

"well see that is the difference between me and him...i know what i'm talking about"

the "him" in that statement is the_m3_kid, and not vwhobo, which i initially thought since you were talking to vwhobo about the eclipse.

posted by  pik_d

GOTCHA! :thumbs: i kinda get confused sometime. lmao...and yes...i was talking about m3 kid

posted by  Tooyoung225

Well, that's all pretty good, but Gateway's own website (http://www.gatewayraceway.com/dragracing/drag_results.php) doesn't say anything about such a class. It seems that somebody might be confused. Maybe we should contact their webmaster. :doh:

posted by  vwhobo

well, it's not a pro class (if thats what you're thinking). they do street legal grudge racing there. and they divide it into classes (i.e. 4cyl fwd/awd, 4cyl rwd, trucks, v8, v6, etc.)

Anyway, they run qualifying for a few hours, then they have the top 2 in each class go head to head and see who wins...the overall ranking got him tied with the most victories with an srt-4. this is pretty good considering he blew his rearend and was out for a few weeks, then his throttle body went bad, and he couldnt run his top times anymore. but now that the season is over, we will work on that.

posted by  Tooyoung225

Classified grudge racing? That is a contradiction of terms. Grudge racing equals run-what-u-brung and do your deal in the pits. Very unusual.

posted by  vwhobo

yeah...i see what you mean...and that is exacly what it is. (run-wat-u-brung). but for the more serious racers, they have classes for them to accually compete. they just got tired of people street racing...it's kinda their way to reduce it, and make it safer for them...it has accually worked.

posted by  Tooyoung225

I once had my Eclipse converted to RWD with a viscous eliminator at AMS Performance (before they got an AWD dyno). Does that count? :laughing:

posted by  DSMer

DSMer :clap:
Finally came sniffin around again, welcome back :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Yes, what did your car put down RWD?

posted by  Bino

Something like 280HP/215TQ at the rear wheels. Don't quite know what that is on all 4 wheels, but you get the idea...

posted by  DSMer

Actually, I was just wondering.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Just wondering? Just spreading your own special brand of bullsh*t is what you mean. These are pretty specific statements made by you;

That my little Twink was not wondering, it was attempting to pass off BS as fact, and once again you were caught. This time by more than one person. Why don't you go hook up with your butt buddy Chad5.0 and leave this forum like you promised?

posted by  vwhobo

No the question about whether it is a production I4 was what he was just wondering. I know even YOU caught that vwhobo.

posted by  Pythias

Then why did he quote a post that says nothing about a production I4 engine? Someone is having reading comprehension or critical thinking difficulties, and I can assure you it's not me.

posted by  vwhobo

I didn't quote any post you ****ing idiot. I really was just wondering if it was a production four cylinder. I don't see why you have to be an asshole and overcomplicate shit for no ****ing reason.

The reason I said it was the fastest four cylinder car in the world is because thats what I read on the site it was posted on.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Really? Eventhough he didn't quote the post? Seems you are the one with the reading comprehension difficulties. And nowhere does it say he edited his post, because he didn't. Think Type Submit.

posted by  Pythias

I'm a f*cking idiot? You're the f*cking idiot. Look at your post, #66 and tell me you didn't quote a post. You have to be the stupidest person on earth. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Make that co-stupidest person on earth. You also need to look at post #66. Moron.

posted by  vwhobo

What the **** are you talking about Hobo. I have great respect for you but you are making NO ****ing sense. Post # 66 he quated what ChrisV THOUGHT Pontiac fan meant by ASKING about it being a production I4 or NOT. Then you quote him and say jsut wondering? No you say he was attempting to pass off bullshit. How was he attempting to pass off bullshit when he was replying to ChrisV NOT what he said was the fastest 4cyclinder. :screwy: THINK TYPE SUBMIT.

EDIT: Let me make it clearer ok Twink? He said he was JUST wondering about whether the 4cyc you showed was a production or NOT. That has NOTHING to do with what he THOUGHT was the faster 4 cyc. Understand?

posted by  Pythias

..........Come on Hobo it doesn't take this long to reply.

posted by  Pythias

I don't buy his bullsh*t or yours either. The post he quoted, which you just a few posts ago said he didn't, said nothing about production or OEM engine parts. IF in fact that was the case, why didn't he quote this post?

I can't come up with a good answer either. The purpose of quoting a post is so other readers will know what you are responding to. You and he have both been on forums long enough to understand that. That would be like me doing this;

I think your house would look great painted green with brown trim. :thumbs:

It just doesn't make sense. There is certainly a reading and comprehension problem on this forum, but it's not mine.

posted by  vwhobo

Really now? You don't buy my bullshit? Well if factory parts is the same as production parts then what I say is not bullshit by your logic is it?ChrisV said in the post quoted by PontiacFan "(with some factory parts in its block, and in a body that resembles a production car)" SO I still don't see what your saying. Why didn't he quote the other post? Because ChrisV's post was directed solely at him. Why did you just now quote my post? Because my post was directed solely at you. I don't see any reading comprehension problems here but your own. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

Have it your way. I don't have the time or energy to play sh*t this anymore. If you're so interested in the truth, why aren't you on PantiacFag27's ass about his "facts" concerning the fastest four cylinder car. From my end it looks like your more interested in arguing than people getting their facts straight.

posted by  vwhobo

Not really, I'm more about understanding what people mean in their post, and what they are tryign to say, and it is quite obviosu what PontiacFan was saying...... The ONLY thing I was arguing about.... was what PontiacFan was meaning when he said he was just wondering... he wasn't just wondering that the time was 6.97 or watever... that is what he THOUGHT it was, and you proved him wrong. End of that, ALL he was referring to was that he was just wondering if the car's engine in the fastest time that you posted, was a production I4 or not... and I know I'm not the only one who can see that...

posted by  Pythias

Um... okay... whatever you say. But here's the thing. This...

... is a statement. There is no interpretation, no trying to understand what he said, no question involved. It is a statement, plain and simple. Oh yeah, at was also incorrect. Something that neither you or he are willing as of yet to acknowledge. And after all, that is how this whole arguement in this thread started. Sorry, those are the facts whether you like them or not.

posted by  vwhobo

I didn't quote a post when I asked if it was a production 4 cylinder. I quoted ChrisV's unnecessarily flame-filled post in response to what he was saying about me. But you still haven't answered my question. Is the engine in that car a production 4 cylinder? Or do you just not know?

posted by  PontiacFan27

Actually, I have answered the question. If you spent more time reading the thread instead of making up information, you might have seen it. So how about that picture of the worlds fastest four cylinder car that is supposed to be an Eclipse. I'd sure like to see that.

posted by  vwhobo

I was wrong about it being the fastest 4 cylinder in the world. I'm not arguing that asshole. I'm not arguing anything, I WAS just wondering if it was a production 4 cylinder.

The website that has the video of the Eclipse's run said it was the fastest 4 cylinder in the world. I had no previous knowledge of the car you posted.

Heres the link for the video of the Eclipse
http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=1360

posted by  PontiacFan27

Ya know what. Instead of being prideful and hard headed you could have just told us that that's what the site said and then linked us to it, then we could have settled this two days and 60 some posts ago. You had plenty of opportunity to do so.

It runs an Autocraft five piece case which is based on an almost 70 year old VW design. I wish I could find a picture but I've come up dry. There's about as many production parts in it as there are in a Top Fuel hemi.

posted by  vwhobo

Thats what I have been trying to say.

posted by  Pythias

I think this is the fastest 4 cylinder car that I'm aware of:

http://turbomagazine.com/tech/0202tur_extremeedge01.jpg
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0202tur_extremeedge/

posted by  fudge

I give up. I'll play your silly game. Where in that article does it provide any hard numbers? It does say "The Type R drag car and Max-4 powerplant are designed to deliver 250 mph and 5.50-second quarter-mile performance on alcohol and nitromethane", but there's a world of difference between being designed to do something and actually doing it. Until it's on a track and actually runs the numbers, it's just another design concept.

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah hobo is right, as much as I love the idea of a 4 banger drag car that can keep up with the v8 boys they haven't really run those times yet, when they do I doubt they will run the times they're claiming though it will still be quick mine you.

posted by  GreekWarrior

Five piece case.... wow.

posted by  Bino

Where did my post that you quated have ANY flaming? Necessary or otherwise?

Flame filled? Show where there was any flame filling.

"You're just an ignorant ass that would rather have an opinion than learn any facts."

THAT's a flame post.

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message