300ZX owners Spark Plug question

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  300ZX owners Spark Plug question

HI i own a 1990 non turbo 300zx auto transmission. What spark plugs do you think are best for this car. Also how do you replace plugs in this car? it is not simply taking off the wire and then unscreweing them like on other cars. Also is there a way you can tell wether you need to replace the plugs?
Kris

posted by  Kris

First off, do you have a service manual for the car or are you just jerking off.

Replacing the plugs is not exactly brain surgery. Remove the COPs, remove the plugs. Access isn't to bad and parts are readily available. Make sure you inspect the plug boots and reinstall them with dielectric grease. Make sure you put a dab of anti-seize on the plug threads. Don't waste your $$$ on high end plugs, plain old Autolite 3924's will do the trick, 3923's if you regularly push it hard. Make sure the gap is correct, I think .044".

Did I mention to never touch your car without a service manual?

posted by  vwhobo

The electrode gap is supposed to be 1 to 1.1 mm (Not sure how much that would be on the imperial though...

posted by  chris_knows

You're so sexy. Everytime I see your picture a have to touch myself. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

.044" = 1.1176mm

dunno which one is slight off...

posted by  pik_d

If the Hobo's set 300ZX's to that without problems, then that's right, but mine's from the Hayne's manual (one of the few uses I have for it :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Yes but in a 300zx its diffrent. Its not that u just take off the rubber boot and unscrew the plug to take it out. On my 300zx there is the wire that goes into the boot then there is 2 large screwes that hold a plastic mount where 2 wires connect and then under that i think thats where the plugs are. There is no other place where they could be... And then again i do not want to take apart a bunch of crap and then realize that i did not have to do all that work, but if you guys dont know what your talking about i guess ill have to... no offence i never seen this kind of crap on any other car either. So yeah what do you guys think about the bosch plugs with not 1 thing for the spark but 4 its called platnum 4 i think? is that any better than the regulars?and yes i like to take it hard more than occasionally...

posted by  Kris

I did it today myself for my Neon. Took less than an hour, and I realized how bad the service deparment ****ed my car before i got it. The plugs were soaked in oil (hobo i could use some help with waht that is a sign of), and they were just crap. I put in stock replacement champion plugs using the anti-seize compound and the silver gel (forgot what its called but its applied to the part of the plug that has the cuts on it i forgot the word), and the car seems to run a bit smoother. I just wana fill it and see if this helps my milage.
Also what the ****ed was that the wire for cylinder 3 is shorter than 4, so they switched them around and part of the wire for cylinder 4 that was too big was rubbing the head and kinda melted a bit so I got new wires as well. Stock replacement 7MM wiring. This kinda thing isnt too hard. Its not as easy ebcasue everything is cramped in my engine so you gota be careful about removing shit, but its not rocket science. I did it by reading the haynes manual the night before.

posted by  newyorker

Are you really that stupid? I described to you exactly how to go about replacing your plugs. Your 300ZX is no different than millions of other cars. Unlike you, I know exactly what I'm talking about. If you're not smart enough to figure it out, then you shouldn't attempt the job anyway. Moron. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Three words. Valve cover gasket.

posted by  vwhobo

Could that be a sign on more things to come? Because grandfather told me that overfilling the engine with oil when you do the change can cause it to reach up into the spark plugs. How much does this repair cost.

posted by  newyorker

:roll:

posted by  99integra

Shit...I just saw that :laughing:

Well, uhm...I don't really swing that way, but thanks for the compliment :smoke:

:laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

:orglaugh: What aren't you sure?

posted by  99integra

I'm pretty damn sure, seeing how pretty girlies tell me that every day :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Chix with dix? :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

www.meatspin.com :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Pretty girls all love the 'mos. They can spot them a mile away. It's just like having a girlfriend without the competition.

No, that's a sign that you have a DOHC Neon with probably 100k or so miles on it, it has nothing to do with overfilling the oil... Unless you mean by about five quarts. Cheap and easy to repair. My 75 year old mother could do it in a couple of hours.

posted by  vwhobo

have 66k but I have been abusing it for the past 4-5000

posted by  newyorker

Yeah, it'll happen on lower mileage cars that are run hard. The heating and cooling cycles are what hardens the sparkplug tube o-rings and running it hard make the cycles even more intense.

posted by  vwhobo

No...Chicks like this:

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/TV2/archive/00194/Angelina_Jolie_194670g.jpg
:hi:

Not that again...I can't get past 3 :laughing:.

Is that from experience? :wink2:...They all seem to fight over me...you seen those TAG body spray commercials? Based on a true story :hi::laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Is that from experience? :wink2:...They all seem to fight over me...you seen those TAG body spray commercials? Based on a true story :hi::laughing:[/QUOTE]

What that they will make ANYONE seem attractive?
:laughing:

posted by  Pythias

That is f*cking sick. :puke: How exactly is it that you know where to find something like that? Maybe that's one of the other forums you hang out it, pun not intended.

posted by  vwhobo

LMAO, it was somebody off this forum that posted it and you can never forget the link to it because of how vile it is :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

Trust me, I'll make it a point to forget that one. :doh:

posted by  vwhobo

Good luck, seeing that nobody (thats had it done to them before) clicked it because they never forgot it (other than Chris, apparently he tries to beat his high score) :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Well, maybe this guy can use it as a training video for his sparkplug installation. Well, maybe that's some other kind of installation.

posted by  vwhobo

I got bored :laughing:

I wonder if the original one is still here? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Bored is not an adequate reason to look at that, unless..........

posted by  vwhobo

No...I was bored, and curious

A bit off topic, but look at this:
They made a mistake on the engine specs :laughing:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bugatti.htm (http://www.meatspin.com)

posted by  chris_knows

Sick f*cker.

posted by  vwhobo

See...that's what happened to me :laughing:

It wasn't to disgust anyone, just to prove my point :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

alright forget it i found outhow u take it off theres 2 screwes that hold a mount that connects 2 wires together on top of the spark plug hole u take out the wire then take off the mount then u take out the wire with the rubber boot connected to the plug and then u can unscrew the plug... so yeah all of you are stupid haha and yeah i might need to post a video of how i did this to some people just so they can see that it is diffrent on a 300zx than on other cars! If you want me to personally take a picture of what i am talking about I will but F*uck you dont have to be such a smart*ass about it!

posted by  Kris

Douche bag! The very first step I gave you in my instuctions was to "remove the COP's". It took you three lines to say what I said in three words. You are possible the perfect moron.

posted by  vwhobo

99integra, please cease and desist from posting filth. If you must post homosexual links then join a bleeding heart forum and reveal the absolute truth there.

posted by  Wally

:roll:

posted by  99integra

So hobo how can I change this myself? Is it comlicated and how much is the part? If I dont change it what will happen. Could this contribute to my bad milage (still testing it on the first tank.)

posted by  newyorker

With tools and a manual. Not for me. Am I your parts store now? It won't fix itself. Very slight possibility.

posted by  vwhobo

why dont you try it with the new plugs in for about two or three weeks, then take the new plugs out to see if any oil is leaking in, if it still is try draining and replacing the oil, then if still no succes, just take it to a dealer and have them check the gaskets

posted by  ride3k

And the point of going through that process would be? Do you really think changing the oil is going to make it somehow leak less?

posted by  vwhobo

Im not taking it to the dealer. I dont have that much time nor fre money to spend on this car. I wont spend 1500 dolalrs fixing it

posted by  newyorker

Your Message