Opinions on 2006 Civic

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Opinions on 2006 Civic

Just wondering what is everybodys opinion on the newly redesigned Civic. It would help if you've been in one or driven one (your opinion that is).

So far I've driven an 06 EX Coupe man. non-navi and a 06 SI Coupe 6spd non-navi.

I was impressed by both. Impressed enough by the SI to almost get it (would have, but everyone knows the story from my other thread).

The EX coupe was actually pretty fun to drive. It had adequete power and handled very well for an econo. The shifter felt perfect and the seats were nice and supportive (they are actually seats from the previous gen Acura CL). The stock sound system was unimpressive to me, but every one is (better than any other econocar I've been in though). I did notice they went with a rear deck mounted 8" sub to add bass which helped...only slightly. One thing I was wishing a little more for was power (kind of suprised me Honda let all trim levels get the exact same R18 motor with 140hp). 150-155hp would really make this thing get up and go. The new R series motor is worlds better than the ancient D series. It has a much better torque curve (more low end grunt) and the upper end is buttery smooth. I think it weighs a tad too much for my tastes, but every newer vehicle is getting porkier and porkier (bigger sound systems, more airbags, larger dimensions...etc).

The SI was a dream to drive. The 6spd manual is perfect, and this thing accelerates like a rocket. It's fun to get this thing up to the 8100rpm redline every time and shift. It had all the thrust feel of an SRT-4 but had that much better handling. The corners is where this thing really shined. It's like it's almost stuck to the road. The LSD really helps and so do the performance tires. The seats are amazing and I love the new layout of the dash in the new Civics (BIG tach and digital speedo). Makes everything uncluttered.

So anyways, what are you guy's opinion?

posted by  thunderbird1100

Too ugly for me. The Si is intriguing, but for the markup dealerships put on I could get a car thats much much better.

posted by  OombaIsBack

I like the look of the '06 Civic better in brochures and magazines, more than I do in the metal. I think it looks a bit like a Peugeot 206 from the back. Looks alot more adventurous than the previous generation model though!

From what I've heard there's gonna be a rather powerfull diesel version too, although I'm not too sure if it'll go to the states :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

I've sat in the Si, but never driven it, and it's pretty comfortable, so I'm guessing the EX would be pretty similar. This Civic does have the best styling of any Honda, right next to the Prelude. But I don't know how either of them ride...

BTW Cliffy, I doubt there'll be a diesel Civic in the U.S....Hell I'd be surprised to see one in Europe. Are any other Civics available in diesels there?

posted by  chris_knows

I think Honda introduced the Civic with a diesel in around 2004 in the previous generation model (it was an Isuzu engine though!), but there wasn't a great callling for them. I think they're using the 2.4litre diesel found in the Euro Accord!

posted by  Cliffy

The styling they went with really is the "love it hate it" thing.

I love the SI, but was screwed over in the end by price. Like hell im paying a optioned out navi price for a base SI.

Although I cant complain, they sold all those SI's in a matter of a month (for a premium price, average price I hear for non navi hovered around $22,500 while navi models were getting closer to $25k) and arent getting more in for months. Damn you Honda for making the new SI rare.

We'd get a diesel Accord before a diesel Civic I think.

Although I doubt we'd get either because then the Hybrids wouldn't sell at all as the diesels would get similar gas mileage if not better.

I cant wait to see the Civic SI Sedan coming out soon.

Two big things for the Chicago auto show Honda is hinting of is the intro of the new CRV and possibly the intro of the new Civic SI sedan.

a deisel civic, that tickles my fancy.... i'd have fuel cheap as dirt, literally... i know how to make deisel!!

i know quite a few people that run business' that only swear on using deisel as there fuel sorce and they'd definately be wantin' a shot at the new civic if a deisel model came here to australia.

i've not had the chance to actually see the new '06 model yet, but from what i've read, they seem to be just a bit better then last years, and so on.

kinda what they've done since civic's began, taking one more year to improve on there mistakes and make it much MUCH better the next year.... gotta love honda.

posted by  HyundaGuy

ok, well ive just googled it and seen some new pics of the new civic and some new interior pics and i'm rather impressed with the interior but i'm not to sure on the exterior, i suppose it's something that i'd have to see in metal, not cyberly or on paper.

i like how there gearstick/gearbox looks as if it's coming out of the same place as it does in my gemi :D, that impresses me.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Showing us a taste of the future. Look much better inside and outside than previous civics/ Taillights and headlights on the sedans are borrowed from the 05 acura TL design.

posted by  newyorker

thumbs down... dont like it, ugly... doesnt look like a civic anymore

posted by  mazda6man

I think that was the point, going into the next "Style" for the Civic that doesnt look anything like the previous 2 decades.

I think it's a kinda new image for Japanese car makers. No more will they be bland!

Also, an edit to yesterdays post. The Civic Diesel will be a 2.2litre :thumbs:

It's the I-CTDi engine!

Covers 0-60 in 8.8secs :clap:

posted by  Cliffy

the way i look at it, if theyre going to make a civic, make it look somewhat like a civic, if they want a new style, make a new car.

posted by  mazda6man

Well, Honda does have the Fit coming over here by the end of the year.

im gunna have to say the s2k is the best looking honda, besides the NSX. I mean, it is such a great car, and they took the tach/speedo right ou of the s2k for the new civic. If i wanted to waste money on the 06 SI, id get a 03 or earlier S2k for much less, plus RWD!!

posted by  ride3k

I was thinking of only Hondas in North America, the NSX is an Acura here...not everywhere else in the world though. Forgot the S2000, that's also a pretty beautiful Honda.

posted by  chris_knows

ah i see, but ya, whenever i see acura, i see honda, so i see them as the same car, lol. but ya, s2k, nice car

posted by  ride3k

yeah, when iever i see an integra or an rsx, im like "thats a pretty sick honda integra"... people are like "what?!"...

theyre bringin the fit over?!?! SICK

posted by  mazda6man

AWWW SICK! Maybe with NAWZ itll kill all dem V-hates dawg! SIIIIICK!!!

posted by  OombaIsBack

You arent going to find a good used S2000 for much under $20k. Maybe $17k-$18k, but you're looking at high mileage.

The tach/speedo is not nearly the same i nthe S2000 as it is in the new Civics. Although they roughly the same kind of layout.

I've seen the new Civic and I don't like it's looks. However I like the advert for it with the people making those noises:clap:

posted by  fudge

WHORD UP DOGGY!, ITLE SMIZASH ON ALL DEMPTS GT-IZOZ AND CAMERIZOZ! OH YIZAH, AND NAWZ, SIZICK! NOTHINS FIZASTER THAN A CIZAR WITH NAWZ!

-----------------dont be stupid------------------

the fits tite though

posted by  mazda6man

Boomba couldn't resist to troll a thread about a Honda, you know...

oh, firshizzle dizzle

posted by  mazda6man

Like you cant resist trolling threads that arent about them. No, it had nothing to do with this being a Honda thread. It had to do with this self-righteous ricer who calls "sick" Integras Hondas just to make himself look cool. Guess what, your not in Japan, so therefore its an Acura Integra.

posted by  OombaIsBack

wow, this guy is kinda funny actually:clap: ... yeah, callin stuff what it really is is pretty sick, im glad you pointed that, thanks. :mrgreen: and self righteous ricer? if thats what you want to think, go right ahead... hey guys? do you all think that this guy clearly thinks hes cool because he likes to try and make fun about the fact that some people like different stuff than others, like for instance how i like imports, this kid clearly likes non-imports? i use the word "sick", "tite", "rad", and other misc. slang terms, and this dude does not? ohwell, i guess some people have nothing better to do than TRY to bully people around via the internet, which is sooooo hard to do, and it makes him look like such a big man,

hes probably 13 and his step-dad has a 82 camero that almost runs but cant afford to buy the last few parts, but when it does run itle be able to beat every honda this side of tennessee

posted by  mazda6man

so ANYWAYS, is the fit coming in 07? or what?

posted by  mazda6man

That's what I heard...They aren't too small either, I got a flipbook from the show, and there's a llama climbing around it :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Clearly an idiot post here. I only domestics huh? Is that why I drive a MAZDA MX6? You're doing nothing but making yourself look dumb by saying "sick" and calling American Acura Integras Hondas just to make yourself look like you know something.

Lastly, I'm 16. My Dad used to own an 82 Trans Am (nice spelling on Camaro, dumbass) that almost ran before he had to get rid of it. Had he got it running, it couldn't have beat much of anything.

posted by  OombaIsBack

so i guess i was half right about you, isnt that sad though?... i was just a few years, off, transams are practically camAros (sorry, i dont care enough to spell it right) sorry, i totally forgot mx6s were cool... haha, thats cool... so you wanna stop thread crapping or what? cuz im hella bored of you, and all i want to do is talk about this new honda that i find to be totally rad man.

posted by  mazda6man

Aw totally killer dude. I love this sick new ACURA (lolz!) Civic Si. See how badass I am there? I changed the name for no reason at all, making myself look dumb! I'm just like you!

posted by  OombaIsBack

http://www.treehugger.com/files/japan-car-honda-fit-jazz.jpg
so sexy.

but yeah back to the original topic, even though i dont agree with the new civic styling, from what i hear, and as the original poster said, they handle very well

posted by  mazda6man

clearly something an immature 16 yearold would post

posted by  mazda6man

Nowhere near as mature as braggin about how you call Acura Integras Hondas to your buddies to make yourself look cool.

posted by  OombaIsBack

yeah, i forgot i considered that bragging. some people say they like their cucumbers, pickled. i can call something what ever i want. so is everyone reading this and laughing, because this is the exact thing that i hate abouit this forum? stupid little kids like this ruining everyones time...

posted by  mazda6man

What a coonass.

He was just saying it looks cool. Then you did yuor typical school boy ricer chant, and now you try and say HE started being a Ricer? Get a grip on reality Boomba.

BTW - I dont troll any threads. If I dont like a car, I'll tell you. IF I like a car, I let you know.

Hondas I HATE -
Element
Passport
CL
Any pre-06 Civic

Although I do recognize why some people will buy these cars. Every car has at least one strength or another.

You on the other hand, are a complete and utter troll against any Honda. And you know it.

And to think all this time I knew you were just a dumbass early teen...:laughing:

Thanks for clarifying that.

And technically a MX6 is a rebadged Probe. In the simpliest terms.

Please explain how Mazda6man was trying to "look cool" by saying the new Fit is looking "Rad" or "Tite" or whatever he said. Because he said something different than what you would say?

What if someone said the Probe looks like a MX6 Probed out of an asshole? Would you try to say they were trying to brag to be cool?

Relax boomba, you dont have be a 16 year old punk who cant bully at school so you try to bully people on the internet. We're here to talk cars, not troll threads.

thank you!, now, back to the subject at hand... more civic opinions. are they still rockin the k20? or is it something new now? oh, and i do like that 6speed deal that honda threw in there

posted by  mazda6man

Only the 02-05 Civic Si had a K20. And it was a 160hp K20a3.

For quite some time (I want to say since the mid-late 80s) all Civics stateside had a D series motor (ranging from 1.5L to 1.7L) up until the 1999-2000 Civic Si which had a B16a1 in it. Then in 2002-2005 the Civic Si had the K20a3.

We finally have a new series for 2006. The base Civics (DX/LX/EX) are powered by the same SOHC i-VTEC 16v 1.8L R18 I4 which produces 140bhp and 128tq and redlines at 6800rpm. The new Civic SI is powered by a DOHC i-VTEC 16v 2.0L K20z3 I4 which produces 197bhp (very underrated) and 139tq and redlines at 8000rpm.

BTW - Everybody, tomorrow at the Chicago auto show Honda is unveiling their "top secret". It's the Civic SI Sedan. But shhh, dont tell anybody I said that.

Ummm... No. A Probe is actually nothing more than a rebadged MX6 from '93 to '01. They have 2.0l I4 and 2.5l V6 Mazda engines, Mazda transaxles, Mazda electrics, Mazda everything except their name plates. They were built in Mazda's manufacturing facility in Flat Rock, Michigan. In the simplest terms, you apparently don't have a clue about Probes.

On the other hand, this other bozo should call himself OombaIsAnIdiot.

posted by  vwhobo

Was the Probe NOT the original idea, then they also came up with the idea to do the MX6 at a later time? I know the Probe uses basically Mazda everything (started off with the 626 platform, 2.2L Mazda I4, 2.2 Turbo). I do know the Probe got an engine the MX6 didnt in 1st gen, the Ford OHV V6 (From the Taurus). Come on man, it's the FWD Mustang!

Instead of refuting, try reading and understanding one time. Notice I very specifically stated " '93 to '01", which is an entirely different car from the '92 and earlier Probes. Come on man, try some critical thinking for a change.

posted by  vwhobo

Sorry, but this Si coupe looks more like the last Si coupe than either Si Coupes look like the original Civics.

http://www.autobytel.com/images/2006/Honda/CivicSi/400/2006_Honda_CivicSi_e xpass342.jpg

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~gtokuno/ebp%20si%20frontpage.jpg

http://www.honda-fugel.de/pub/d/oldtimer/auto/civic1200/civic12001.jpg

http://1.im.cz/n/photo/05/44/87ivruk-gallery.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

I wasn't refuting anything. I was asking a question.

Apparently neither do you. Both the Probe and MX6 went out of existance in 97. The electrical was done by Mitsubishi.

posted by  OombaIsBack

Maybe he was counting the 3rd gen Probe as well = Cougar.

which was around untill 2002...

that, and i didnt know the cougar was considered the 3rd generation probe. interesting...

posted by  pik_d

Which doesnt use any Mazda parts?

posted by  OombaIsBack

Busted because I forgot to include all of the pertinent information. I meant to mention that the Mazda 626 was the same car under the skin during the period I specified, but that the 626 outlasted both the Probe and MX-6 by five years. Guilty of an oversight. Other than that, my statements are absolutely correct.

BTW, the electrical system was all designed and built by Mazda. Some of the electronic components were produced by Mitsubishi. Someone of your self-percieved superior intelligence should know the difference between those two words.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message