working on an integra RS

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  working on an integra RS

So, I'm still debating holding onto my integra and just working with the engine i have (jdm b18b1-70k). I have set aside $700 already, and plan to double it before I start any work. So say I had $1500... what would be the best things to do to the car to gain maximum power, but to maintain reliablity.

I already have a cold air intake and catbac w/high flow cat. I just don't really know where to go, since i'm seriously still learning about cars. I have the guy to do the stuff, and he's already given me some reccomendations (he suggests staying with a straight LS... no vtec head or anything). But mixed reccomendations have given me a lot to think about, but no real outlet for more opinions.

Previous Recomendations:

Cams
Springs
Cam gear
underdrive pulley
port and polish

That all added up to over 2k after labor though, so obviously i'm a little limited there... So, does anyone have any suggestions? $1500 budget.

posted by  shadowedII

The best bang for the buck in any small motor is alway going to be Nitrous. However, depending on how crazy you get with it reliability may be a factor.

with that mod list you posted, exactly how much HP could you gain? For less than 1/4 of the cost you could hook up a nitrous kit and be pretty close if not higher.

posted by  TokyoJoe

there is always the b20 option as well.

posted by  glagon1979

The 140 hp ones? Why?

posted by  OombaIsBack

If you're looking for reliability, I'd go all motor (which is what Im trying to do). Have you giving thought to your tranny?? What good is 220hp if you cant put it out on the road. And if you're staying N/A, I'd bump up the compression. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

Going turbo would be a great idea...but I dont know if you really want to spend the money for that.

So I suggest doing headwork, that will give you the most gains. Port/polish the head, change the cams and beef up the valvetraqin appropriately, then change the cam gears to something better/more adjustible. Dont bother with the underdrive pullies yet, that should save you a good $300 right there.

With those mods you should go from the roughly 155hp you have now to about 190hp.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Many B20's are used in N/A builds simply because of their extra displacement. And cheap availability (one you can find in a junk yard forma 96-01 CRV).

They had 126hp (B20B - CRV),135hp (B20A5 - Prelude) and 143hp (B20Z - CRV) varients.

posted by  thunderbird1100

The original motor in the integra was on nitrous, and the the owner had it burning away 300zxTT's and the like. But thats also why the motor ended up giving out and he had to buy a new one. All he kept from the first one was the head (which is on mine right now).

Yea, raising the compression was something i forgot to put onto that list. But i'm going to go all-motor and stay away from nitrous, at least for now. And turbo... well thats just a bit further from my price range right now anyways.

posted by  shadowedII

Your Message