Scion tC, do you recommend it?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Scion tC, do you recommend it?

Hey everyone. Well I'm getting tired of my 1990 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I want a smaller car. I saw the Scion tCs, and they look amazing. The stock styling is amazing; a moonroof, a nice Pioneer system, and actual power locks...my car is old and cheap heh. Well I've done a search for threads about the tC, and most of them are pretty far back. So maybe some of you guys have changed your views on Scion and its tC. I want to hear all of your pros and cons about the car. What I'm looking for is a car under $18-19k with some style, and a decent engine. Well I'm not a real car entusiast, I don't street race or anything, I just want something faster than my little Jeep, which can't break 85... and something that is sleek. For $17k or so, I can't see anything beating the tC. But maybe you do?

By the way, does anyone know how much the TRD supercharger for the tC costs w/ installation? Do I even need it is probably a better question. Thanks.

posted by  theblue

First off, the supercharger is 3000 i believe. Only cons I have with it are the fact that it gets rather bad gas milage for the engine its running on. Good power and good styling. I wanted my dad to get one he went with a corolla instead. Try to find one of the Special series. They are red with big wings and black enkei wheels. Should be noticable from a mile away:thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

I like the tC. In fact, I think its definatly the best looking Scion out right now. If you want one go for it.

The TRD supercharger is a bit expensive though :doh: But on the other hand if you actually have the money....:thumbs:

posted by  SlipKnoT

My dad drives an automatic TC, but the things a little beast. And its quite slylish. I hate him for not getting a 5 speed, because then i would want to drive it all the time.

But hey, the car's made by Toyota, so you know its going to last. And they are pretty cheap.

posted by  shadowedII

I personally did not like it when I drove one. The engine was boring (go figure, it's the same 2.4 from the Camry) and the handling was numb and unresponsive. Basically it was a cheaper, little bit lighter Camry Solara, and felt typical Toyota boring... BUT, the price was very appealing for the features you get. Personally, in that segment I would get the Mazda 3s 5-door or a Civic EX coupe. The Mazda 3s was a pretty sharp car when I drove it, very nice on the inside too. The new Civic is a sharp vehicle too, new engine is a lot better than the older D series was, handling is really pretty good too for an econo-car. Both in the Mazda3s and Civic EX coupe I drove, they both handled better than the tC and felt quicker. BUT, both of those I drove rang up to be over $19k, well over the price of a tC ($17k).

posted by  thunderbird1100

How about the Cobalt (coupe). The SS starts at $17,490, that matches your Scion for 17K. But then again there's the Supercharged SS but that costs around $20,000. There's one more econobox/sport compact that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned yet, and quite frankly I'm impressed Newyorker (because he has mentioned it EVERY-SINGLE-TIME someone has asked a similar "What car to get?" question.) However the sticker price on that is $19,995.
Of course these are just suggestions...it all depends on what you like. Go test drive them and make a decision. Personally, I'd take the styling of the Scion TC or the 06 Civic over everything else. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

:laughing: (neon, sx 2.0, srt4 )

but anyway, its not sleek but the new mustang v6 looks great and goes alright too, and impretty sure you can afford one, unless it has to be a jap car

posted by  nighthawk

He said,

MUST...BITE...TONGUE..

posted by  elchango36

the scion is a really nice car and by far the nicest car that Scion has out right now and probably ever will. The TRD supercharger costs $3,200 dont know what the installation is though:thumbs:

posted by  mx3_monster

SRT-4 is nice.

posted by  newyorker

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!

Oh and BTW the blue...I forgot to mention the Celica. I'd take a Celica GTS over anyone of those cars (except the Civic Si of course).

posted by  elchango36

how about an Integra Type R :2cents:

posted by  V-Tec

Thanks for all of the replies.

Ouch, that supercharger is way too much, with an extra $3k, I would easily pick up an 06 Mustang V6 Deluxe Coupe or an 06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. I've been taking a look at each of the cars you all have mentioned, but the tC just has this something that catches my eye. I've posted a few pics below. Anyway, won't a tC still be a huge improvement in pickup, maneuverability, and speed over my Jeep Cherokee? I would be greatly surprised if it didn't. I'll take a test drive soon, and check it out. :smoke: Thanks.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/06/sciontc05_01.jpg
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/06/sciontc05_04.jpg
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/06/sciontc05_05.jpg

posted by  theblue

the tC is a huge improvement (depending on the way you look at it...SUV's have advantages too) in speed and handling, topping out at 127mph...not that you would test that on a public road right? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Ess are tee four!!!

posted by  newyorker

hahahaha haha that was pretty funny subliminal message if im not mistaken ey

posted by  mx3_monster

Yep...I think that people are tires of seeing SRT-4 so I will call it the ess arr tee foure

posted by  newyorker

lmao thats great:thumbs:

posted by  mx3_monster

As redundant as it is (that I mention it so much) its really worth the money so I recomend it to everyone in that price range.

posted by  newyorker

Just change your sig so that the top thing on there is "Buy an SRT-4" :laughing:

Dude, with all of the subliminal ads you've been doing, you should get a cut of the profits :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

You could get an rsx type-s used for easily that price. And it will be quicker with good handling. And a turbo for it would only cost you around 2k. And thats if you even wanted it. A rsx-s is a nice car and quick :thumbs:

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

I beleive he was looking into buying a NEW car. It's kinda hard to find a new ITR seeing as how they stopped making them in 01.:ohcrap:

But like gonnadie mentioned, an RSX type S would make a great substitute for the ITR (although I'd just get an 06 Si for that matter).

posted by  elchango36

The tc's are nice, but I'd rather the new Civic coupe...or the Si if you can afford it. Someone mentioned the Mazda 3, but I wouldn't recommend it. They are peppy and look nice, but they feel cheap to me. Also, consumer reports say they give you lots of problems.

If you get the tc and like to shift, get the short shift kit. I like the way they feel. Test drove one Saturday.

posted by  What?

I have a 92 Infinity Q45 that starts like the battery is dead but it does start what could be the problem.

posted by  dlambert222

Did you put alot of thought into where you posted this question? Maybe you always walk into a room full of people talking and just interupt and change the subject. Maybe we have someone more lost than AutoPro. Votes?:banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Welcome to Car-Forums.com

I see you have met VWhobo

He will be the one leaving you nasty responses whenever you are a dumbass :thumbs:

At least I didn't call him a dumbass.:wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

:laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Somehow I feel this will be happening more from this guy. The srt-4 is faster than the type S I believe, and if its not, its certainly close and cheaper too.

posted by  newyorker

:laughing: Nice sig

posted by  chris_knows

ADVERT ALERT :ticking: **evil Monkey points to Newyorker's sig**

posted by  elchango36

IMO they are great cars. I have a Camry (another Toyota) and it is amazing. Reliability, low price, good MPG, tuneable, and plenty of power stock (I'd still get the supercharger) tC is a great buy.

posted by  StiMan

That's a nice sig bro :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Thanks... the lighting took a life time. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

:clap:

Their is a kid in KC with a turbo charged scion.... he wont tell anyone the specs, but he toasted a 500 horsepower Supercharged 350z.....
kid can drive, which is the hardest part about winning in a FWD car, well that and good tires to catch traction on!

posted by  3geclipse13087

Or just not getting any wheelspin. Ya think that turbo might not be the only upgade he has?:screwy:

posted by  newyorker

how can a fwd supercharger scion possibly beat a 500hp 350z?...unless of course chuck norris is driving the scion.

posted by  bebopin64

Psssht, Chuck can outrun a 500hp 350Z :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Its turbo'd not supercharged fyi.

posted by  StiMan

There is a TRD Supercharger option available, but im sure you can turbo the car. ive seen videos of them running 12s

posted by  newyorker

I don't flame.....often....i was commenting

And isn't the SRT-4 starts around 22k and is no longer made so a new one would be hard but the rsx-s is around 21k. Plus the RSX is always commented on about the great and tight handling.

I know that both prices are above your amount but theres always gotta be some room for more. And you could always pick them up a year or two old used. :thumbs:

Also:

RSX-S:
201 Hp
140 Lb-Ft Torque
2840 lbs

SRT-4:
230 Hp
250 Lb-Ft Torque
2900 lbs

The SRT-4 is faster b/c it is supercharged but he wasn't looking exactly for speed. He wanted something faster than his Jeep.

And although they both had a big aftermarket i would imagine the RSX-S's would be bigger as it is made for jsut that, making it what you want it to be. So im pretty sure the aftermarket would be alittle bigger and im sure much cheaper. :thumbs:

But hell....these are only two cars...there are many more great ones out there :2cents:

RSX-S is 24 base. I remember when the price was increased for the LSD and power upgrade, the SRT-4 was 21. Maybe it went up to 22. SRT-4 was definitely turbo'd (not sc).

posted by  VG30DE

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/features.jsp;jsessionid=N11WMO2CWSVAZLAZGJK JXLA?destURL=features.jsp&year=2006&makeid=1&modelid=5787&myid=7964&superTr im=&acode=USB60ACC111B0&logtype=7&aff=national

Invoice Amount - 21,751

And you are right...the SRT-4 is turbocharged..i put supercharged by mistake

I went after base model prices for both

right on. Thx for not flaming me.

posted by  VG30DE

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  Pythias

If he wants something faster tell him to spend 3k a neon and then put the rest away lol

posted by  newyorker

Mazdaspeed Protege, SE-R/SE-R Spec-V, Mk4 GTi/GLi, SVT Focus, Civic Si...

my :2cents:

posted by  VG30DE

I love how your SRT-4 loving ass can't even read all of his post, because if you did you surely would have pointed out that it is TURBOCHARGED, not SUPERCHARGED before me.

posted by  Pythias

I saw that, but like 3 people already corrected him before I did. Why just repeat the obvious?:screwy:

posted by  newyorker

Actually none did except me, the others were talking about the Scion :PP

posted by  Pythias

No reason to flame when i made the mistake

Im not like some other people here :roll:

Oh God Do not buy a tC. A buddie of mine wanted a new car last summer and he decided on a scion tC. I Tried so hard to talk him out of it. He bought it and 4 months later he wants to sell it. Its slow as molasses, gets horrible gas mileage (he averages about 22mpg), and it doesnt even handle that well. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi we went with my G-Tech and ran our cars to 60. I am a FULL SECOND faster than his little car to 60 IN A TRUCK!
Also in the automatic there is a huge gap between 1st and 2nd and the RPMs fall off considerably, feels really slugish. I would say get a used SRT-4, or Z28 or Trans Am WS6 (Those cars are so DAMN SEXY Lookem Up), Maybe a Mustang GT, Mini Coopers are fun little cars, hell I cant even recall the rest of my list. There are just so many cars that are a better choice than the tC.

posted by  Enthusiast

Lol... first off 22 mpg isnt that bad especially for city driving (its definately not amazing, but its not "horrible"). Second, he has an I4, you have a V8 (160 hp. vs. 345 hp. and more torque) thus better 0-60 times are understandable even with the wieght difference. I have the last generation of the same engine in my Camry, and sure it isnt amazingly peppy, but it sure aint sluggish. I stand by the tC; if I had the money I would definately get one. :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

S-10 Xtreme. . . lolz. . . I'm sure that feels just as fast or faster than the tC because of the torque. . . ha, I just wanted to throw that out there since CF gets off topic all of the time anyway. :smoke: . . . . . Maybe a MazdaSpeed Protege . . . . . I'm sure the tC isnt that bad though - anything will be an improvement over the Jeep.

posted by  Shift4

Well After driving that car I really hate it and I think they could have made it better by throwing a better engine in there. That 2.4 is sluggish it doesnt rev that high at all and when it does get there it seems so week. I think with a high revving peppy 6 the car would have been much better. And I think 22 in that car is horrible hes getting about 20 in the city and about 24 on the highway. My moms 4 door Dodge Ram gets get 18 in the city and its a V8.

posted by  Enthusiast

I wish Toyota had put the Corolla XRS 1.8 I4 in there instead of the Camry 2.4, fun engine (little more horsepower than the 2.4 Camry motor that is in there now). Also, it's a bit heavy, should be about 100lbs lighter. With the less weight and smaller engine it would get much better gas mileage probably and actually have a fun motor in it. Stock the tC isn't an impressive vehicle, it REALLY feels like a slightly smaller version of the Solara (poor handling, boring motor) but for the pricepoint you cant really argue too much against it.

Also about the Ram, you MEANT to say 18mph ON THE HIGHWAY right? BEcause no way in hell are you getting anywhere near 18mpg in city driving. Heck the EPA ratings are 13 city and 18 highway for both the 4.7 and 5.7 V8 and usually people get below EPA ratings.

Its the only good looking Scion.

posted by  PontiacFan27

No I wasnt talking about on the highway. My mom just finished a tank she said hse got on the freeway 4 times to go to weatherford which is only one exit down and she said she managed 17.8 MPG.

posted by  Enthusiast

Okay then something is either wrong with the mpg measuring device or she really wasn't EVER in stop/go traffic.

This city driving, is actually in stop and go traffic or is it you just stop every once and a while and are mostly constantly going 50-55mph. Because no way is she getting near 18mpg in true city driving... Heck every place that has reviewed a 5.7 Ram has gotten 12-14mpg COMBINED most of the time.

not to get off the point of the thread, but. My friend is going to buy a scion tC supercharged. You think I have any chance of beating him in a race if I mod my '03 accord ex I4 automatic? I'm not one to race but I just want to beat him once so I can laugh it up.

posted by  shamoo

i wouldnt buy it ... it does come from toyota though ... but these cars werent made for speed ... they are a cheap toyota .. go for it if its really what you want but if your iffy .. look for something else

posted by  lamboluver

Why not a Mazda 6 or a Subaru Impreza?

Mazda 6 starting price $20,000. It's not a Scion

Subaru Impreza starting price $18,500. It's not a Scion + has AWD.

Toyota Camry starting price $18,500. It's a real Toyota!

Chevy Cobalt SS starting price $18,500. It's not a Scion.

I'm sorry but a Scion is nothing more then a riced up cheap Toyota. Plus the cars are fugly.

posted by  DukenukemX

*edit reread post and understand your logic...

posted by  elchango36

No, hed kill you.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Another seemingly dead thread then....

posted by  Cliffy

makes sense to me

posted by  lamboluver

Your Message