Turbo catchcan??

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Turbo catchcan??

I am in the middle of my turbo install and the kit they provide uses a breather on the valve cover. I would like to use a catchcan so the crankcase won't spew oil through the breather inside the engine bay. My question is: Is it necessary to hook up the outlet to the intake to create vacuum on the other side or can I just leave it open for venting?

posted by  TokyoJoe

It is very common to just leave the crank breather open to the atmosphere (in this case the top of the catch can). When I get around to adding a catch can to my system, I'll probably plumb a line from the top of the breather to the intake, but I'll also plumb a line from the bottom of the catch can back into the oil pan. Any excess out the engine breather will eventually drain back to the pan (also prevents having to drain the catch can), and any fumes will get drawn into the intake and burned.

posted by  Bino

Cool, thanks man. Do name brands make a difference or are they all pretty much the same?

posted by  TokyoJoe

Honestly, it's a tank with three holes in it, it really doesn't make much difference. I'm probably going to make one out of material that we've got laying around. For something like this I'd just go with the cheapest one I can find that's aluminum. Test it for leaks right when you get it, if it leaks, send it back and get another, if it doesn't... that's all you're asking of it.

posted by  Bino

Your Message