B18 And H22A Bore and Stroke

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  B18 And H22A Bore and Stroke

Does anyone know how much you can bore and stroke a b18 or an h22a?
If I get a civic, i'll eventually get 1 of the 2 engines, and 1.8 and 2.2 liters just doesnt cut it for me:smoke:

So whats the most displacement possible (that won't blow the engine up) with a bore/stroke combo?

posted by  TurboLag

Why mess with success? Honda's are notoriously good at revving. Gear it down and make it scream.

posted by  VG30DE

Unless he's gona turbo it that is.

posted by  GreekWarrior

With or without sleeving??

posted by  elchango36

Why bore and stroke them? It's not like they cant make power with the displacement they already have. Stroking either motor will cost big bucks, most stroker kits are pretty expensive for the B and H series.

For instance these are all around $1500...

http://www.speedomotive.com/honda_stroker_kits.htm

Boring it wont be much cheaper either.

For the price I'd just go with a turbo setup.

As for an answer, the B series can be taken to 2.1L and right under 2.2L.

The H series can be taken to 2.4L.

Again, this isnt cheap.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I dunno, i hadn't put a lot of thought in that. But probably not, I don't want to spend more money then I have to

Well with a bigger bore, it would still rev the same rpms. Or would it?

So with a bigger bore and longer stroke I could get it up to around a 2.4(B) and a 2.6(H)?

^^Is that just bore? or is that bore and stroke?

Do the B series and H series both use the same block?

Whats the difference between a B18A,B, and C?

If you guys know of any sites that have info on this subject, that would be nice

posted by  TurboLag

Again, this isnt cheap, for stroking you're looking to spend AT LEAST $1500, not including labor. Boring isnt much of a big difference (stroking will get you higher up in displacement). You cant bore out the B18/B20 much more...possibly a a tenth of a liter or less. I've never seen a B series over 2200cc, so that's probably the max as far as stroking/boring it out. Again, never seen a H series over 2400cc so that's probably the max.

What are you hoping to accomplish with spending this much money on just boring/stroking the engine? You realize it probably wont yield you with very big power gains at all. You're better off buying a B18b and turboing it.

The difference betweeen the B18A/B/C besides the fact the engines are slightly different is the years in which they were out.

The B18A1 was earlier on and was out in the 90-93 Integra's (non GSR). It was DOHC non-vtec and had either 130hp or 140hp.

The B18B1 was later on and was out in the 94-01 Integra's. (non GSR/ITR) It was also DOHC non-vtec and had 142hp. The B2 revision was OBDII if I remember correctly.

There was 4 versions of the B18C series I remember...

B18C = JDM DOHC VTEC 178hp (180ps), 94-01 Integra SiR-G.
B18C1 = USDM DOHC VTEC 170hp, 94-01 Integra GSR.
B18C5 = USDM DOHC VTEC 197hp, 97-01 Integra Type-R.
B18C6/C7 = JDM DOHC VTEC 197hp (200ps), 96-01 Integra Type-R.

Dude, c'mon. You've been here how long? spoon feeding is frowned upon (http://www.wikipedia.org)

posted by  elchango36

Boring won't have much of an effect on revability, less the pistons weight much more.

posted by  VG30DE

About how much would a b18c5/c6 or an h22a run me?

And the D series is sohc vtec, right?

posted by  TurboLag

As for how much those engines are gonna run you, that depends on your location and/or hookups. Anywhere from $900-$4500. I would think you'd be better off finding an H22 as opposed to the holy grail of the B series, the B18C5/6/7 Type R motor. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

Well what would the advantages of the b18c versus the h22a? they both have approx the same power

posted by  TurboLag

It would actually seem as though the H22 has more advantages over the B18C5 (Type R), but it's the other way around. THe H22A1 puts out 200hp&156 lbf·ft of torque. The b18C5(Type R) puts down 195 hp&130 ft·lbf. That and you have to keep in mind that you have a higher displacement with the H22A1 than the B18C5 (2.2L vs. 1.8L). Sure you could bore the b18C5, but you have .4 L of more displacement from the get go with the H22A1. Now your asking yourself why do most people opt for the b18C5 than the H22A1. Simple, it's extremely popular. The H series doesn't anything close to the following behind the B series (although the K series is really catching up). I also believe that the B18C5 has more aftermarket support than anything else out there (most Honda PERFORMANCE parts are for ITR, just about everything and everybody has an application for the ITR).

posted by  elchango36

So do u think the b18 has the most potential? since it has the most performance parts and all?

which would you recommend? I'd prefer the bigger engine, but everyone gives the b18 higher praise.

k series? I cant think of any k's off the top of my head

posted by  TurboLag

Recently, I've been thinking of how I'm going to take my engine to the next level. For me, the way to get the most power on my small budget is updisplacement, and either boost or blow. I wanted to stay N/A, but it's way to expensive. Also, If your looking for horsepower remember, there's no displacement for replacement. You can get ridiculous amounts of horsepower from both, it just depends on how you want to go about it. It's true, there's way more aftermarket support for the B18C5, but it might also be more expensive. It MIGHT be cheaper (not 100% sure on that) if you got yourself an H22A1, and built the F**K out of it, than if you were to do the same with the B18C5. However, personally, if I were given the option of either a B18C5 or the H22A1, I'd take the Holy Grail of Honda's I4, the B18C5. Don't really know why. I guess it's the whole Honda Type R thing. THey both have great potential. However, given the option of either the B18C5 or the K20Z1 from the 05-06 RSX type S, I'd take the K20. However I'd just be dreaming as a K20 swap for my ride would be way too expensive.

posted by  elchango36

What don't want your engine to cost more than the rest of your ride?

posted by  Golddragoner

Buy a B18B1/B2 ($800), turbo it. Cheapest route for most power and easiest...DONE.

you dont need to spend $2000 for an h22a. You dont need to spend $3000 on a 178hp B18C or 170hp B18C1. Nor $4500 for a 197hp B18C5.

The H22a is a bit heavier than the B18 series...being 385lbs for the h22a w/ tranny and axles and from what I remember the B18 is about 345lbs with the same equipment. Doesnt seem like a lot of weight but that 40lbs EXTRA really affects weight distribution. The h22a is not an ideal engine to turbo either, having an open deck block.

what about an s2000 motor or a k24? i can't remember the specs for the s2000 motor at the moment (isnt it like 180 hp?) and i know nothing of the k24

posted by  TurboLag

You need to focus on more plausible ideas here.

A F20/F22 from an S2000 is attached to a RWD tranny, unless you wish to convert the civic to RWD, I suggest staying away from that motor (BIG $$$$$). BTW - both engines were rated at 240hp (237hp for 06 S2000)..but the F20c made about 230-235hp while the F22c makes 245-250hp.

The K24 came in a multitude of vehicles and makes anywhere from about 160hp to 215hp stock. Again, a K series swap into a Civic isn't easy nor cheap, stay away from that idea.

Um, maybe, but that's not what's being discussed. Eventually all the engine work I'm gonna do will cost more than what I paid for her, but I don't have that kind of cash right. Not to mention the fact that I'm happy with my motor right now. What I'm not happy with is my suspension and brakes. Which is why I'm working on those first. :thumbs:

And Turbolag, if your seriuos about wanting to learn, how about doing a little research before asking a question. Your lack of knowledge on the K24 could have easily been solved in 5 min. browsing through wikipedia. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

Your Message