2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege Questions

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege Questions

What are your opinions on this car, have any of you ridden in one/owned one?? How is it? Would it make a fast and fun first car without being excessively powerful?

posted by  Shift4

Great features, great price, great handling. I also just love the way they look. The 400 watt system stock is pretty amazing. It has alot of grip for a FWD (around a .88 g or so on the skidpad I think). I think they only came in silver and orange only. The stock racing hart gunmetal 17's are sweet looking and are fairly light. The stock turbo kit is pretty weak imo, as is the one on the miata, but the aftermarket could take care of that if you are looking for more boost (I think the stock systems create too much heat for the amount of boost they are pushing, due to lack of decent intercooler). I can't believe I remember all this crap. Setting them up with about 10mm more tire width up front would make for a truly balanced badass setup.

posted by  VG30DE

That was very informative, thank you! But come on guys, one response is the best you can do!!!???

posted by  Shift4

they made a miata with a stock turbo? when?

posted by  mx3_monster

It was either an 05 or an 06

Guys, some more opinions would be nice

posted by  Shift4

I've driven it quiet a few times... in fact its in my garage right now :laughing:
My brother owns on and he let me drive it a few times. Great car i love it he loves it system is AMAZING! the car itself is fast and just overall a great car we love it:2cents:

any particular questions i'd be more than happy to find out for you from my brother who owns the car

posted by  95civicdima

The 04/05 Mazdaspeed Miata, yes they did. 1.8L Turbo.

http://www.modernracer.com/images/mazdaspeedmiataback2.jpg

Was rated at 178hp and 166tq. Those are 17" Racing Heart wheels that came on the Mazdaspeed verison only.

posted by  thunderbird1100

yes they are

You want me to get some pics of the mazda? just tell me what u need a pic of....

posted by  95civicdima

Shift4,
do you have the picture of the Mazda car ?

posted by  jamestcs

Here you go...

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/comp arison/2003/econosport/03.mazda.mazdaspeed.protege.f34.500.jpg

Thats the 2003 one, I'm talkin 2003.5 - it looks a lot better because the wing looks a lot better and the front fog lights are removed. . . here:
http://motorportal.com/pr%20newswire/mazda_mazdaspeed_protege_2003.5_2.jpg - Uber Elite. . . 95CivicDima - you are EXACTLY what i need!! Tell me about it! How does it ride? Hows the handling? nice and tight? Does it seem pretty fast?? Does the seat adjust up and down (thers a history to this question but I dont want to go into it). . . Just fill me in dude

posted by  Shift4

Thats the 2003 one, I'm talkin 2003.5 - it looks a lot better because the wing looks a lot better and the front fog lights are removed. . . here:
http://motorportal.com/pr%20newswire/mazda_mazdaspeed_protege_2003.5_2.jpg - Uber Elite. . . 95CivicDima - you are EXACTLY what i need!! Tell me about it! How does it ride? Hows the handling? nice and tight? Does it seem pretty fast?? Does the seat adjust up and down (thers a history to this question but I dont want to go into it). . . Just fill me in dude

EDIT: Sorry for the double Post!!

posted by  Shift4

I actually perfer the 2003 version. I like the wing better and I like with the fog lights.

My brother has the '03 version in blue. Alright the seats are great... probably the first thing you notice when you sit down is how the car feels... When you start the car its not loud so you think it would be. Now as you get adjusted (seat does it all) you pull out and as most stick cars you gotta give it some gas to get out now just a light tap on the accelerator or you will stall. After getting around the block you'll notice little whistles probably off the bat around 3rd gear going around 45-60...that's the turbo buddy. Its great. The looks great and flies. With little upgrades the car just booms mroe and more. The stock system... NEEDS NOTHING MORE THAN A SUB!!! Great system I LOVE it. Please if you have any questions or pictures you need let me know so i can post them. Be as specific as you want please. Since it is my brothers car its only available to take pictures of when he's around. Basically weekends and once ina while weekday slike today. SO let me know where to be more specific.

posted by  95civicdima

Since your so darn willing to answer questions (THANK YOU!! FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE - FINALLY!!) :clap: , I think I'll have to ask a few!

Does it SEEM fast to you??
What mods does ur bro have on it?
What kind of mileage does he get with it?
Is the torque steer really bad on it?
Has he had any problems with it?
Is the back seat pretty spacious?
Can you get going fast in it and still have enough pull to go faster? (like whats the fastest you have ever gone and if its like 110 (I wouldnt think so since this is your brothers car!), did it feel like it would go faster?)

I have to do some math homework right now but when I think of more questions I'll ask you. Thanks a bunch! and as far as posting a pic, just post what you have, u dont need to go crazy with it. . . The driver seat is POWERED though? and it goes UP AND DOWN?? unlike some cars. . . cough cough S-10 Xtreme (one of my other choices for a first car). . . I've been saving forever though so I want something NICE!

posted by  Shift4

After a lapse in interest in MSP's, I'm back into them. Now this issue is getting more serious. Although I'm 15, I'm shopping for cars that are killer deals (like if I see something at a killer price that needs to be bought I would be allowed to buy it but only if its cheap). Now this doesnt apply so much to the MSP but it does to the competition its facing - the S-10 Xtreme (4.3L). I know the insurance would be cheaper on the S-10 but by how much?? Also, I'm leaning towards the MSP since its better on gas. . . which would you reccommend for a first driver who wants a pretty fast and fun to drive car? I would probably end up modding out the 4.3L and POSSIBLY supercharging it if I needed more speed. . . on the MSP I could jsut get a boost controller and turn up the stock 6 psi to maybe like 8 or 10. . . This is along with some bolt-ons like a CAI and Cat-back Exhaust (also, very likely, a front mounted intercooler) of course. . .

Wow, ha, this is taking a little longer than I thought. . . Where are you 95CivicDima!!!?! Ha, just messin. . . although, really ;-) where are you? Your input was invaluable earlier. . .

posted by  Shift4

Your Message