17, first car, need to learn

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  17, first car, need to learn

Hey guys, I'm 17, almost 18 (few months) and just got my first car. 2003 Honda Accord EX 4-Cylinder Sedan. Don't plan on racing or anything but I want to learn about cars and mods and maybe one day modify my car or get a car that is worth modding.

posted by  shamoo

every car has 4 wheels except for some special cars that have two wheels! I think these are called cycer motles or something like that. . . Oh, and all cars have engines and "transtitions" with geers in them. . . Thats about all I know!

:wink2: , no rle, thats good that you want to learn more about cars. . . The V6 accord would have been better for modding but you may want to consider a nice new exhaust system and a cold air intake (replaces the stock air filter). . . New wheels and tires are good if you want it to look better. . . You have to be a tad more specific with what you want to know. . .

posted by  Shift4

To learn about cars, I'd suggest howstuffworks.com...and for mods, depends on your budget.

posted by  chris_knows

An EX 4-door 4-banger seems like an odd car to get for modding, unless it's just what you can get your hands on. Seeing as it's an '03, I kinda doubt that's the case. If you like the import bolt-on ricey deal, and you like the car you have now, then you could make it work I suppose...but something like a mid-late 90's Civic would probably be alot cheaper, easier, and perhaps have more potential. Basically, any car is worth modding(well most any car), especially if you like it. So keep your EX for a while, if you find out it's a great car for you, keep it and do w/e to it.

posted by  jedimario

Actually you need to be a tad more mature with replies
1. WTF
2. Transmissions
3. Gears
4. Really
5. CAI replaces not the filter, but the whole airbox assembly, and in a lot of cases relocated the filter away from the engine for less heat. What YOU are talking about is called a drop-in filter
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

Shift4, please dont' respond to Newyorker's ignorance, the rest of know you're kidding. It was somewhat immature, but we don't need an argument over it.

posted by  jedimario

Oo i didnt see the sarcasm there :screwy: :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

lol :doh:

I'll correct you on this one as I believe you're being serious lol....what about the trusty, plastic, Reliant Robin? :clap:

posted by  Cliffy

my parents bought the car for me, i didnt really have any say but im not complaining.

right now i have a shitty job, once i get a better one/more money and know what im doing ill think about modding it. Basically I just want to know if anyone can recommend any sites that can tell me about what you can do to your car, what to add to make it faster/more powerful, etc.

I know nothing right now so anything would help.

posted by  shamoo

Not sure about any sites, but I'd reccommend getting "Car Hacks & Mods For Dummies" by David Vespremi...It's got tons of information on that stuff :2cetns:

posted by  chris_knows

Maybe it wasn't there :screwy:

shamoo-If you don't particularly like the car, you could trade it down to something older that might be a bit more interesting to mod, if that's ok with your parents.

posted by  jedimario

i cant, its in my dads name but its mine.

posted by  shamoo

It's a good car, and can be modded pretty good, why would he change it?

posted by  chris_knows

I think with this car, once i read up on stuff, ill just make it look better and a little more powerful and then maybe i'll get a different car in the future for high performance stuff. did i mention its an automatic?

posted by  shamoo

Surely there's something better he could trade down to. An older Accord V6, for example.

posted by  jedimario

Yeah, but if he likes it, then he should keep it, and it can still be modified way faster than he would ever need to go...It would just be cheaper with the V6 lol

BTW Don't you have an Accord?

posted by  chris_knows

Where can I read up on the stuff you posted about?

cold air intake
tires
exhaust systems

and respected brands for these products

posted by  shamoo

You can actually gain quite a few horsepower with the 2003-2006 I4 Accord. Many people forget it uses an iteration of the same engine found in the Civic SI, RSX-S and TSX. It's the K24A1 I believe (160hp)...the K series responds very well to bolt ons. In fact some K series motors see a 15 FWHP gain with just changing out the intake to a cold air intake.

This K20, (while pretty heavily modified) made 264 hub horsepower N/A on 91 octane gas.

The power potential is there...

Some popular mods are to change out the head for a K20A2 or K20A head or intake manifold. Also changing out the Cams for those cams i nthe aforementioned engines.

http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AEM-21-511P
http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC-HHC5022

posted by  thunderbird1100

So how would it be if I made those three mods you pointed out - header, intake, cams? Do you think there is anything else I should look at?

I am probably going to get new tires and wheels also. thinking of getting 18s (16 now) and maybe a slightly wider tire. I believe i have 205/60/r16 right now, have to double check.

posted by  shamoo

I would suggest doing cold air intake, Header and get an exhaust place to make you a custom exhaust for $250-$300. Those 3 mods should take you from 160hp to around 190hp.

The V6 Accord is not necessarily a better choice than the four cylinder. The four cylinder has a better front/rear wieght distribution than the V6 and therefore handles better.

I'm back...maybe. :hi:

posted by  hondaman

30 hp gain from CAI, EM, and exhaust? I find that hard to be a little generous.

posted by  OombaIsBack

Not a K series motor.

I remember reading up in Honda Tuning (probably 2-3 years ago) they got ON AVERAGE 14-17fwhp GAIN over stock with JUST a Cold Air Intake on a K20A2. Same family motor, it should have similar gains on the K24A1. Stock Honda exhausts are very restrictive as well.

Uh yeah, but I'm wondering why that has any bearing on the conversation? It's an '89 Lx-i

posted by  jedimario

Ahh, good point, have a cookie. :laughing:

posted by  jedimario

I was just wondering, now that I think about it, it really doesn't have anything to do with anything lol :doh:

posted by  chris_knows

alright while we are on the topic of V6 and V4s i want clarrifacation(?) of a rumor. My friend told me V4 are easier to mod than V6, is that true? If so do u have any sites with proof (i would llike to read more on the subject).:ohcrap:

posted by  O-P-ET

im not trying to be smart here or anything but i don't think anyone makes a v4 engine, an inline 4 maybe but not a v4

posted by  dsmracersv98

First of all, it's an I4, the engine is inline, not in a V...but it would depend on the engine, check out howstuffworks on engines...GENERALLY a V6 will get more power stock, and will need less to get her faster, but I4's have some advantages too, like their lighter weight, and smaller size, and some will produce more power than a V6...I'd like to bring back a quote from a while ago;
"There's no replacement for displacement"...

posted by  chris_knows

your right it is inline-4 not V4 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
k thanks guys
oh and being an sti fan did you know STIs have recurring problems with their 2 gear? I read that in an import 2nr, just yall should if yall didn't

posted by  O-P-ET

Since the thread has been revied I will add my other 2 cents. If you dont plan to drive stick ever in yuor life, just keep this car, learn to drive well (safely and with skill), but if you wana drive stick, the earlier you start the better.

posted by  newyorker

I thought we cleared this up at some point? lol....there is a V4 setup....as is there an I4 setup....although V4's tend not to be used these days. I think the closest modern car to the V4 was Alfa Romeo's small hatchbacks whiched used a flat 4 layout

posted by  Cliffy

yeah there may be a v4 but how many cars do u actually see a day that have that

posted by  dsmracersv98

I know they existed but I figured he was referring to I4's because they were made today, and it's a common mistake lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message