Subaru SVX

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Subaru SVX

Anybody out there have any good info/experience with a Subaru SVX? What year's the best, problems encountered (I know the trans and brakes are subject to failure from the car's weight) or anything else that comes to mind. I'm looking to buy one some time soon and have some fun fixing it up and modifying it. If you know any engine mod kits (turbo, intake...) out there for it that would also be great. What I would really love to do is take the drivetrain out of a new STI and drop it in an SVX, but if I had the money for that I would just buy the STI and have done with it, lol.

posted by  crazy_pilot

I have only ever seen one like three times in my life. I guess they are pretty rare. I'd like to know about how they perform, or even what size engine they have (though I suppose I could Google it). A subaru that actually looks like its made to go fast! Strange...

posted by  Mathew

Well I can tell you what I've found out so far. It is a rare car. There were only about 14000 shipped to North America, and only 1000 of those went to Canada (which is why I'm having a tough time finding one). It's a 3.3L flat 6 with a 4 speed auto. In those years Subie didn't have a manual tranny strong enough. The engine puts out 230 HP and 228 lb-ft. Supposedly it's capable of 130-150 mph. For it's year range (92-97) it was a really advanced car. Lots of technology. I've seen a couple and I fell in love with it when I saw it.

posted by  crazy_pilot

Dont forget, it's also one of Subaru's heaviest cars of all time. The top of the line LSi AWD coupe weighed 3600lbs.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Which is why it suffers from tranny problems, warped rotors...

posted by  crazy_pilot

Poor handling.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Hey I remember those. I used to see them a lot when I was younger, haven't seen one in years. They look pretty cool though.

posted by  elchango36

I think the flat 6 is particularly interesting. Despite the fact that it has a rather strange appearance in my opinion, I would like to have one for that.

posted by  hondaman

I think the Subaru SVX's design is very bold and definitely unique. While the old XT coupe was, in my opinion, poorly styled, the replacement streamlined the shape and made it into a classic and almost unforgettable car design.

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/articles/article1003.jpg

posted by  moostang104314

I bought one about a month back. Go ahead and find one. Having the time of my life in mine. Comfortable, smooth and powerful enough. Please let m e know if you find out details on Turbos. There might come a time when 230bhp becomes less thrilling. Great in the wet.

posted by  Gezzyg

I've also just read someones input of poor handling. Rubbish. It handles very well. It may weight 1600Kg but you wouldn't know it when tickling a corner !!

posted by  Gezzyg

my uncle owned 2000 SVX... told me best would be from 2002-2004 Subaru..hmm...there are available aftermarket engine mod kits..you'll just have to search..certainly, he told me he was planning to look for for his car..a typical EBC subaru brake disc one!

posted by  chelle26

all i know is they only came in automatic which is a downer for me...gorgeous cars though

posted by  newyorker

You advised nissan_altima about his perception of adverts here at CF, yet you miss this guy's? Oh well, no biggie, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

i wasnt paying attention :ohcrap:

posted by  newyorker

It's ok....We're not in school, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

yay I can turn my ADD back on :banghead: :thumbs: :thumbs: :mrgreen: :2cents: :wink2: :cussing: :cussing:

posted by  newyorker

Your Message