Quick but long question?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Quick but long question?

:screwy: theres a guy down the street from me selling an auto 2.0 eclipse..a 94..its body has no rust and he just re painted it jet blck(so it looks nice) but the problem is the trany..he said it slips into secound gear..now i do plan on getting it because hes only askn 800 for the car and i would plan on swapn the trany to a manual one..but my one buddy said not to even buy it because when an auto trany is messed up it usually messed up the engine..the inspection sticker is a 04.but he told me that was the only thing wrong with it..but i need some info on what i should do..buy it and swap tranys and go from ther or just buy it and put a hole new engine in it..it has about 80k miles on it....

thanks

posted by  colbyy88

Have your buddy explain to you in great detail how the trans slipping in second gear "messes up" the engine. Better yet, have him join this forum and explain it directly to us. I'm sure we could all use the laugh.

posted by  vwhobo

alright..well i didnt need a smart remark..im new and i was just looking for an answer because i thought he was full of crap as it is..so thats why i came looking for an answer on here..but thanks

posted by  colbyy88

...have your buddy go over and look at the car like he's interested. then when he convinces the seller of the bad tranny=bad engine thing and leaves, you can show up and buy it for $400....

posted by  dodger65

no no no no buy it ... i dont think there would be a very big problem with switching it out .... and its only 800 bucks!

posted by  lamboluver

hey! will you give me $800? ......didn't think so......:screwy:

posted by  dodger65

I would definetly pick it up. They may be very unreliable, but thats still a pretty decent price.

posted by  PontiacFan27

mitsubishi's are very reliable if u take care of them...

posted by  Stem

yeah...... i babied my eclipse and the headgasket blew, go figure, they are so reliable

posted by  dsmracersv98

LMAO! I spat out my drink on the screen when I read that!

posted by  PontiacFan27

my mom had a galant for 12 years before the tranny went bad then we sold it... if you TAKE CARE OF IT... they last. if we wouldve put a new tranny on it i bet it wouldve lasted a lot longer

posted by  Stem

headgaskets blow on all cars... and with a name like dsmracer i doubt u BABIED u eclipse

posted by  Stem

I heard when you buy a Mitsubishi, it comes with a mechanic....

posted by  Mathew

$800 bucks for a clipse .. you would have to be an idiot not to go for that

posted by  lamboluver

One of my friend's had an Eagle Talon with the 5 speed tranny, and at 160,000 miles his transmission blew before the stock clutch installed from the factory went bad. Go figure.

posted by  PontiacFan27

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=203367990&dealer_id=54488408&c ar_year=1994&mod_bookmark_id=null&search_type=both&make=MIT&distance=0&mode l=ECLIP&address=46383&advanced=&certified=&max_price=&bkms=1150551270176&mi n_price=&first_record=26&end_year=1994&start_year=1994&isp=y&pager.offset=2 5&lang=en&cardist=1291

better snap this one up, then...

posted by  dodger65

Dude, you don't even know what you're talking about. I did baby that car, I made the name just to have a name on here. I can't remember the site but it shows problems people had with their eclipses, dead eclipse or somethn i duno, but the list just goes on and on, on that site

posted by  dsmracersv98

yah i bet i could find a site that lists problems for all cars...

posted by  Stem

You can, but the fact stands that DSMs are unreliable.

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Pick two, thats the rules. Deal with it.

posted by  PontiacFan27

thats the same with ALL cars, not just mitsu's. deal with it.

posted by  Stem

What he's saying is with the specific car in question, you get fast and cheap. Thats not the same with all cars...

posted by  Mathew

i know... i could rag on his pontiac not being cheap, like he's ragging on the mitsu not being reliable, its a circle.

posted by  Stem

My car isn't cheap when its in good condition. And DSMs aren't reliable, especially the non-turbo models with the minivan automatic tranny.

posted by  PontiacFan27

thats exactly what im saying, so why are we still talking about it

posted by  Stem

ok look...any car with over 150,000 miles is going to have it's level of unreliability. It's common sence that the older a car is, the more unrealiable it is. BUT in this case, if he were to buy the car for $800, then put a new tranny in it, replace the clutch, and rebuild the engine, he would have spent about what the car is worth (maybe a little more). But it would be worth it, because it would be like having a new car.

posted by  Tooyoung225

Your Message