Decision on Car

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Decision on Car

Hey guys im looking to get a new car, im selling my 96 passat (nothing but electrical trouble) and getting a new car. I am looking for a nice quick car, that I can upgrade and do what I want to it. I have roughly $8,000 to work with give or take a few hundered. The options i have narrowed it down to are:

Prelude
Sentra Se-R
Integra
240SX(i need a little bit more info on them)

Any one have any other suggestions, they are welcomed, or some info on the 240SX. What it puts out, is it costly to upgrade?

Which car would you pick??

posted by  pocko5000

I'm assuming you're only interested in an Asian car? Of the above mentioned, I'd chose the 240SX, it'll probably be the best handling car due to it's Rear Wheel Drive, probably the most tuner freindly, too. It's also much easier to put more power through the rear wheels of a car than through the front wheels!

posted by  Cliffy

ya asian is what i am looking for, more durable, and they last longer. With the 240sx though, since it is rear wheel drive and it snowing a good bit out of the year it may be hard to handle during the winter months.

posted by  pocko5000

Front wheel drive cars are just as hard to handle in the snow/ice, just in a different way. I think I'd rather have the back end kicking out at every given opportunity, than turn the steering wheel on ly to go straight on.....(believe me, it's happened, I had to bring the back end round using the handbrake, I was only going between 5 and 10mph, too!). If handling is a real issue, why not try an al-wheel drive? What budget do you have?

posted by  Cliffy

It all depends on what you plan to use your car for. Will this be a simple point A to point B transportation device? A grocery getter? Will this car see any track time? If I had 8 grand, and I wanted something fun, I'd pick up one of these...
http://www.fastautosales.com/images/models/subaru_impreza.jpg
A 1st Gen Subaru Impreza can be had for around $8000. Seeing as how us Americans never got a turbocharged one(:banghead:), the 2.5 RS is the one to get. Of the cars you listed, I'd get either the 240SX, or a cheaper Integra like an LS and turn it into a Type R. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

the subaru sounds like a good option, ill do a little research on it. any comments on the prelude though, pros or cons?

posted by  pocko5000

I like the Prelude. The H22A in the 5th gen Prelude responds very good to bolt-ons. Good Luck finding a Type S for $8000. You could always get a 4th gen. 4th Gens had the half-circle guages that are very similar to the half-circle tach in the Honda S2000. The dash itself looked like it came out of a sci-fi movie (well back in the day they did). Just make sure you get the Si-Vtec (as those came with the infamous H22A).

posted by  elchango36

If you want to pull the chicks get an integra. :hi: :mrgreen:

posted by  GreekWarrior

although subaru looked like a good choice, there are none in my area for sale, and the ones that are for sale are farther away, and out of my price range. so i think im gonna go with the prelude it has the most power stock, and not too many people have them. ill see what i can find around here though. the market sucks

posted by  pocko5000

are u sure theyre just as hard to handle, from my experiences front wheel is by far easier to handle, the rear wheel drive cars just seemed to spin, but anyhow, the sentra Se r , i think is quicker than the 240sx from the factory, at least the spec v is

posted by  dsmracersv98

A Spec V is gonna run him 2x what he wants to spend.

posted by  elchango36

yeah, i almost got one of them, but i ended up getting the celica for the looks, the guy wouldve sold me it for 13 thousand

posted by  dsmracersv98

I did find a nice SE-R 55,000 for 7,000, but its in Florida:ohcrap:

posted by  pocko5000

I'm my opinion they are, yes. As I said, if you hit a patch of ice or are on a snowy road in a FWD car, and you turn the wheel, more often than not, the car severely understeers, if you're doing the same in a RWD car, you'll get oversteer, which in my experience is easier to handle..

By the way, ignor what I said about budget....I realise he's given us one, lol

posted by  Cliffy

ohh ok cliffy, i guess i see where ur coming from, back in the winter i hit ice going on a bridge, and more ice off of it, as i was starting to turn, i had no problems controlling the car as it slid though,i guess it just depends on what uve driven more of

posted by  dsmracersv98

well listed my car for sale, so now i just have to sit and wait. I was looking on e-bay though just browsing, and fueling my fantasies when i came across this car. wow. :drool: wouldn't it be nice to own that??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Supra-Turbo-1-359HP-220MPH-SuperCar-1 -of-1-Rare-Hardtop-Celeb-Car_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6447QQihZ002QQitemZ 4652973085QQrdZ1

posted by  pocko5000

Hahahah, $60,000. Good luck bro.

posted by  PontiacFan27

What do you guys think it goes up to??

posted by  pocko5000

Even 60k seems incredibly steep to me. It'll probably go really high and then the bidder will back out.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I've driven mainly FWD cars, but a fair few RWD and AWD cars, too. It does depend on just how slippery the conditions are though, lol

It's on like $63,000 now, it says "reseve not met" though, God only knows how much he wants for it, lol. I dont really understand Ebay, it says that bidders for that car have to be pre-approved.....so does that mean that chances are they wont back out?

posted by  Cliffy

i think it means that the people have to contanct the seller first, by phone or something, then if he so deems worthy he can let them bid on it.

posted by  pocko5000

get the a 240 so much better then those other cars and u have so many options in tuneing. try to get a newer one cuz parts are getting harder for the olders ones. they are fun to drive very quick and if tuned right will make any civic look like a joke even if it has a b16

also u can swap for some insane engines

ca18det
sr20det- 200-220hp
VG30DETT- 300hp twin turbo
RB25DET- or any other skyline engine

posted by  wordsux

a civic with a b16 isnt really a fast civic, so thats not saying very much, and you can do crazy swaps on any car, from mostly any other car if you have the money

posted by  dsmracersv98

a civic with a b16 isnt really a fast civic, so thats not saying very much, and you can do crazy swaps on any car, from mostly any other car if you have the money, there has been an evo motor put into a honda civic, and an all wheel drive conversion oops didnt mean to have that on ther twice

posted by  dsmracersv98

Preludes are hard to find and when you do find on they want an ass load for it, I found a 2000 prelude and they wanted 13000 for good luck finding a prelude for 8000 I didnt have any.

Go with the 240 they are a blast to drive trust me.

posted by  drag240sx

I would go with a RB26DETT its a R32 skyline AWD twin turbo, bad inline 6 motor.

posted by  drag240sx

Well, I dont see why you would want a little Japanese car over a badass Mustang GT...:screwy: But thats just my two cents.

So, to help you out with your question, heres some info on the 240SX:

1989-1990
140 hp (105 kW) 2.4L SOHC KA24E (3 valves per cylinder)

1991-1994
155 hp (116 kW) 2.4L DOHC KA24DE (4 valves per cylinder)
(An optional sports package including a limited slip differential and Nissan's HICAS four wheel steering was added to the fastback).

I cant seem to find anything on the 1995-1998 model S14's.

My suggestion would be for you to get an older Toyota Supra Turbo. :thumbs:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Your Message