toyota celica good car?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  toyota celica good car?

i will be shopping for my first car in about august and am liking the celica gts a 2001 or 2000. i was wondering what insight you guys had on this car or if any of you have owned one.:thumbs:

posted by  MattyG23

Celicas are generally a very reliable, sensible introduction to sports car driving, All Celicas of that era are front wheel drive, and they're reasonably economical, too! The only thing that might put some people off them, is the styling on 2000 plus models. Other than that, if ya can find a nice one, go for it!

posted by  Cliffy

what about its performance though ive read mixed reviews, its got 180 hp but some say its slow off the line

posted by  MattyG23

Dont expect drag racer accelaration, because you wont get it. Off the top of my head, you can expect a 0-62 time of arounf 8.0-8.5seconds(ish), and a top speed of about 125mph(ish.....again, lol)

posted by  Cliffy

What are you talking about Cliffy, I've always loved the styling of the 7th gen Celica. I esp. love the cockpit... I mean the interior. The styling reminds me of a fighter jet.

Not to mention there's a pretty good aftermarket for the Celica and her 2ZZ engine. If your getting a Celica of this generation, the GTS is the one too get. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

yea i love the appearance too

posted by  MattyG23

guys, take it from somone who actually has one, i own a 2001 toyota celica gt, mine goes 0-60 quicker than 8 seconds, it has a chip intake and exhaust though. Also if ur in high school, get one, all the girls seem to love them, and most guys seem to also, everyone has complimented me on my car. They are very reliable and handle good also, and seem to pick up fairly quickly for the small amount of power it puts out

posted by  dsmracersv98

my sister has an 05 celica. it is such a nice car. It gets good mileage and easily gets to one hundred and plus it is comfy. It has good handling and really good braking. It is more of a girls sports car though since it is I guess safer, you don't feel like you're living dangerously but it is a good car and nice to look at.

posted by  GR4VD1GRB1LL

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP F*CKING STEREOTYPING CAR'S TO CERTAIN GENDERS!!!!

posted by  99integra

Since when does a more dangerous car make you more manly?...I think you have some insecurity issues there lol...Does that mean that most race cars are girly because they have roll cages and safety harnesses /seats? lol...

EDIT: BTW I'm with Teggy lol.

posted by  chris_knows

[QUOTE=chris_knows]Since when does a more dangerous car make you more manly?...I think you have some insecurity issues there lol...Does that mean that most race cars are girly because they have roll cages and safety harnesses /seats? lol...

It should be safe as in you should come out without a scratch but it shouldn't be safe as in you can easily do a donut and peel out of parking lot at 150. Maybe that is just me though. I like to have a car that I had to do mods on it to make it go fast and handle well and flip over. more heart that way

posted by  GR4VD1GRB1LL

yes, shame on mitsubishi for making the evo handle well and go fast, shame on nissan for making the skyline, why on earth would anyone want a fast and good handeling car, whats wrong with the world

posted by  dsmracersv98

celica's are wrong.

posted by  DRFT-R

do u have or ever have driven a celica, what makes you think theyre wrong, because really, they are a good car

posted by  dsmracersv98

Duh, he's a "drifter" and the Celica's FWD. I was gonna call him out, but I didn't want to start a flamewar.

posted by  elchango36

A few months ago I bought an 00 Celica GTS... and I have to say I love it... they're sharp and reliable cars... imo they're just like Hondas (in a reliability sense) ... so I say go for it.

posted by  Metzger

yeah my sister drives one, i have never been in a more annoying car, and just trying to do the simplist work on the engine was a huge nightmare, personally i would stay away from them, especially if your thinking about doing some work on it yourself

posted by  DRFT-R

yea there pretty sweet...my bro has a 2000 gts..but i like the old school celicas so id go with an old school....but if u get the 2002 and up models theres a rev limiter on them just so u know...

posted by  psychedelic

I own an 04' 7th Gen. Celica and I have to say that they are very good cars. They are not very difficult to work on and I have had very few MINOR problems with the car. If you don't mind the FWD factor, then it is a great car to own. Both the 1ZZ-FE and the 2ZZ-GE motors are very good. When I first bought my car there was hardly any aftermarket support. However, in the past year or so, many companies have started to come out with many efficient turbo kits for the 1ZZ VVT-i (GT motor) and the 2ZZ VVTL-i (GT-S motor) and several supercharger kits for the 2ZZ. I have a friend with a turbo 2ZZ that lowered his compression and is running 12lbs of boost. At 9lbs of boost he dynoed at 238whp. In my oppinion Celicas are very good cars. I am actually trading in my Celica, but it is only because I am no longer a fan of FWD. The only main problem I've heard of with the 2ZZ is with the 00' and 01' year models. There were several cases of people miss shifting and blowing their motors. 02'-05' GT-S models came with rev limiters and are a few hundredths of a second slower than the 00' and 01' year models in the 1/4th. Only invest in a manual transmission GT-S. The automatic GT and GT-S are almost exactly the same as far as track times go. The only difference is that the GT-S takes 93 and gets worse gas mileage than the GT that takes 87. Anyways, I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any other questions about these cars!

posted by  cassidy

i will give you that toyota general make a reliable car

posted by  DRFT-R

celica is a great car me along with many of my friends have them... and if ur concerned about them being slow off the line...DONT! if ur good enough at driving stick u should have a problem getting the propper launch. toyota is also very reliable and should last u a very long time!

posted by  Greg87

Lets say you friend's car is developing 238fwhp @ 9psig. That's about 214kw at the fly. The standard power is 135kw/7600rpm, CR 11.5. Now just on simple ratio's he has a 214/135 = 1.585 power increase, for a PR of 1.61.

So lets ignore the reduction in power from lowered CR for a moment and concentrate on just the boost increase. The increased power is derived from the number of oxygen molecules being mixed with fuel and then oxidised. By compressing the air you increase the number of mols, but you also increase temperature from heat of compression (ideal gas laws).

So even with an efficient intercooler the temperature at the throttle body is going to be in the order of say 50°C on a 25°C day. That means that your actual density with a PR of 1.61 = 298/323 x 1.61 = 1.48. Now lets say your friend dropped the CR down to say 9.2, then let's be generous and only deduct 10% power loss as a consequence. So 0.9 x 1.48 = 1.332 actual gain. So actually your friend has a maximum plausable 200fwhp. #1

#1 This assumes your friend is running 5% CO (0.85 lamda), which he probably isn't if the CR is running higher than 7.8 to 8.1.

posted by  Wally

arent all celicas front wheel drive?? i always though they were

posted by  lamboluver

some are all wheel drive

posted by  dsmracersv98

and the Celica's from the early 80's and before were RWD

posted by  moostang104314

As the others ahve said, early Celicas were RWD, and some 90's models were AWD, named the GT4 here in the UK. All present Celicas are FWD though!

posted by  Cliffy

it talks about that on the toyota celica site, it said theres too much competition for them to survive, or w/e, and they quit importing them to the u.s.

posted by  dsmracersv98

Your Message