Price of AE86 - good idea?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Price of AE86 - good idea?

Theres a guy in town driving around in what I assume is an 86 corolla,
(picture corolla in underground 2 completly stock, funny wheels and all)
I have been reading up on these cars for a good while now and I need a beater car for driving around when I get my actual liscense.
my dad kinda doesnt like the idea of me getting a car like this because its japanese and he says the parts are more expensive etc..
but on the other hand this car isnt gonna need much help, besides the body rusting (no problem really) this car is pretty bulletproof from what Ive heard
especially the engine. the 1.6 anyway
me and my dad wouldnt have a problem fixing any engine problems or suspension, electrical, body, etc, out in the garage but the only one thing I can think of that this car wouldnt be good for is the snowy winters here.
the car's really light and rwd but id probably get used to it eventually

so I have 2 questions -

1. what do you think the price range of these cars is, ex, $1000-$5000
as far as I know there is little rust and the engine sounds fine

2. do you think it would be smart to get this as a daily driver for winter and some summers?

thanks whoever helps me:laughing: :thumbs:

posted by  nighthawk

I've always liked these cars and wish we had them over here. The engines are bullet proof, as you say, and even rust isn't a big issue. Given their 1.6litre engine too, they'll prove extreamly reliable for everyday use. Yes it has RWD but as I've said before, even in the winter, it's over exagerated as to how RWD cars handle, yes it might get a bit hairy at times, but so do most cars in the winter!

Not too sure about the price range, but I'd hazard a guess that they'll go for under $2,000, afterall, they are getting on a bit now!

posted by  Cliffy

and is it true that parts for japanese parts are twice as expensive as parts for american cars? buying from canada

posted by  nighthawk

They're often more expensive, but not necessarily as much as twice as expensive!

posted by  Cliffy

yeah i figured something like that

one more question..

do you think the fact the car will almost never break outweighs the fact the replacement parts would cost more money?
confusing question hopefully its not too hard to read lol

posted by  nighthawk

Yes, basically. Given their reliability, I think that more than warrents more expensive parts. It'll probably work out alot cheaper in the long run. Ever heard the people say, If ya spend a little on something, rather than a little bit more, you'll buy it again in the near future? It kind of works in this scenario too, but on the reliability side of things, if you by an unreliable car and keep spending a little to keep her running, you end up paying more in the long run than you would if you bought a car that costs slightly more in parts but hardly ever goes wrong!

It's nicer to have a more reliable car, too, as you dont have to worry about the next time it's gonna let you down! Hope all that makes sense!

posted by  Cliffy

thats pretty much exactly what i was thinking
now to hope the guy doesnt sell it before i get my liscense :laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

By the way, I was gonna say this before but thought I'd leave you alone......It's spelled 'license'....or 'licence' sometimes, if you're talking 'chiefly British'...aparently, lol :wink2: I wont hold it against you though...we're not the spelling police, lol

Good luck on getting the liscense :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

:banghead: :doh:

:laughing:

yea a few words spell differently than they sound lol

posted by  nighthawk

I guess, lol...I was gonna catch Trur_Brit about the same thing yesterday, but I've victimised him about spelling stuff once already.....and he caught me on a typo in a different post so I'm leaving him alone, lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I've seen AE86's go for anywhere from $800-$8000. If this guy's aware of the drift scene and the following behind this particular car, look to spend a couple g's. I've wanted one since I was 16, but could never afford the GTS. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

i figured you'd post here

this one isnt the GTS I dont think, All I know for sure is that its red and black two tone with the ugly/cool rims and its rwd and 3 door hatchback

lucky for me the guy who owns it looks like bill gates, seriously he's like 40 and he must not have a clue as to its potential:hi:

posted by  nighthawk

If it's RWD it had to be either the GTS or the SR5. I don't believe the SR5 came in a hatchback but I could be mistaken. I do know that the GTS came with a DOHC 4A-GE engine that put out about 110 hp while the SR5 came with a wimpy SOHC 4A-C that put out about 70 hp. Also the SR5 was carbeurated while the GTS was fuel injected and came with the option of an LSD. See why I wanted a GTS? IF this guy is just how you say he is, you'll prob get her for cheap. I envy you man:cussing: !!!
J/K

posted by  elchango36

lucky me, it might not happen but i can hope

i thought all corolla's of that time were rwd though:2cents:

posted by  nighthawk

Nope, Toyota offered different trim(LE,DX,FX,SR5,GTS) and only the GTS and SR5 were RWD.

posted by  elchango36

sweet, then this one must be one of the better ones

posted by  nighthawk

Hang on.....are we talking about the Trueno thingy? I assumed we were, but now I'm not so sure, lol......given the power outputs you describe, 70bhp seems a little low!....110bhp seems more realistic if it's the coupe and not a hatchback....although the two could be classed as the same if talking about the Corolla I guess! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

yeah its the trueno, different names or something

I dont care about the power too much, the car weighs almost nothing and im just after it for the handling and feul economy:2cents:
nice looking car too IMO

posted by  nighthawk

LOL, the Trueno is an underpowered light car. In fact, in order to drift the little bugger, you have to keep the car in it's power-band, which means flooring it to the rev limiter through corners. I love that!:laughing:

posted by  elchango36

and just to think ive never seen Initial D or Tokyo drift

hmmmm?

posted by  nighthawk

wait wait wiat is it a hatch back with dual over head cams??? cuz if its is u better ****ing buy that car and keep it. thats one rare car my freind. I would give my left nut to have one of those even if it was in crap condidtion buy it and fix it up.

that aint no beater boy...

THATS A DRIFTING LEGEND!

posted by  wordsux

you know the car in underground 2?
that corolla

yes it is
I know
I want to buy it
:laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

i like how everytime i happen to check back theres another corolla thread.

and to mr wordsux. no, its not really a rare car. you just dont see them everyday. and how is it a drifting legend? cuz its on initial d? i still dont understand why people think theyre as great as they are. granted yes, i love them, but i dont go running around shouting "ae86 is god!!" truth is, its slow as crap, its light, well balanced. and yes, it happens to be able to drift. just like every rwd car. just to let you know. theyre not easy to drift, as elchango said you have to really romp on them, and il let you know, from my experiance of owning one thats not exactly the easiest thing to do. and yes, there were hatchback sr5s as well. heres how to tell if the cars gts or sr5. is the front and back bumper painted? does it have the sport seats? does the front bumper have a lip on it? does it SAY GTS OR SR5?

posted by  mazda6man

Your Message