Is this swap possible

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Is this swap possible

So we have a 01 ford mustang, nothing special, but my dad wants to do something different with it, something that hasnt been done before on it. I've seen a honda civic with an evo motor swap and all wheel drive conversion. Money is really no object here, i know this sounds crazy and dumb, but would it actually be possible to swap an evo motor into it, yeah its different but its his idea. anyone have any idea on this? thanks

posted by  dsmracersv98

Rule of thumb: With enough money anything can be done.

Now whether swapping in a motor from an evo into a Mustang holds any intelligence, that is the question.

Personally I am not positive but I am pretty sure the Mustang weighs a bit more, but it is ok because with the V8's they usually have they have the torque to back it up, if you wanted to swap in an Evo motor and drivetrain, well, it would be unique, but from my view pointless/stupid. Unique yes, worth it? F*ck no. In all honesty if I saw someone who did that I'd be like uhhhh Cool? But thats just my opinion. :2cents:

posted by  Pythias

Colossal waste of time. The japanese motor in the Mustang in Tokyo Drift was enough, we dont need anymore.

Mustangs deserve V8s.

posted by  PontiacFan27

For the first time ever (maybe the second I'm not sure), I couldn't agree with you more.

posted by  elchango36

if you want different, put a hemi in it. keep import engines away from domestic cars...

posted by  mazda6man

I'd say go for it, you will probably upset the purist or the patriotic but if it's what you want in your car then nobody should stop you from doing it. I've seen LS1's in BMW E30 and Cosworth YB in Peugeot 106's.

posted by  fudge

Hell everyone and their mother has some sort of a small block Chevy in everything now a days

posted by  99integra

wtf???? its the most widely used engine in the street rod scene. they have more aftermarket support available than almost any other. it just makes sence.:thumbs:

posted by  glagon1979

If you want a freaking engine in a mustang, and money isn't an "object" here...

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/408w_Proflo.htm

*points and laughs at import*

posted by  Spade

I know but he wants to do something different and I thought Fudge was suggesting it :laughing:

posted by  99integra

A Mustang with AYC would be interesting, at least it'll handle good in the rain.

posted by  fudge

I think your all forgetting one thing the Evo is 4wd and unless your father is an engineer with as much time and knowledge and money as the guys that created the evo, you will never beable to get a gearbox, diff's and everything else that is required, I think some people need to stop watching movies or just realise that they are movies, the Mustang with the RB is something very different to a mustang with an evo engine to start with the two cars the engines come from are at least half similarand work off the same platforms, come on get real

posted by  DRFT-R

the swap wouldn't be all that hard with a modicum of fabricatrion skills. I've seen much tougher stuff done in private garages.

And the "Mustangs deserve V8s" is a lot like the assholes that told me my V8 RX7 was sacriledge because RX7 means rotary. :screwy:

Oh, really? I'm putting a Lexus 4.0 DOHC V8 in my '63 Mercury Comet to replace the same displacement Ford V8. It'll be harder than bolting in a 5.0, but that's what I want. I want it to be unique. You want to complain about my car now?

I'd love to put a 20B TT rotary in a '65-66 mustang fastback. Just to piss off purists. I've put domestic engines in Japanese cars. I found that the Datsun 240/260/280 Z engine literlly BOLTS into the the stock Ford I6 mounts in the early Mustangs and Falcons, and makes a great upgrade for the 6 cyl. A guy I know at Grassroots Motorsports built a '66 mustang coupe that he swapped in the entire rear floor and suspension from a Toyota Supra, and then replaced the front suspension with the Supra parts, and he did the ENTIRE conversion, including the cost of the car, for UNDER $2000! In his garage. if you hada complete EVO (or perferably, DSM Turbo) you could do teh same kind of work he did... Considering a Mustang weighs about as much as a turbo DSM, it may not be a bad swap. Different, unique, and pisses of closed minded asshats. Perfect.

posted by  ChrisV

i never thought this day would ever come...but i accually agree with PontiacFan. (no offense dude). that would be the biggest waste of money ever...put a v8 in it.

posted by  Tooyoung225

or better yet forget the mustang and just buy an evo, that would be way more fun

posted by  DRFT-R

ok ... why would you do that??? .... you could get the right mounts for it but .... i still dont know why you would do something like that ...

posted by  lamboluver

Pretty self-explanatory.

a lot of interesting ideas and current trends come from someone saying just that. I oput a V8 in my RX7 back in '93 for just that reason. Got people responding just like you did. Now there's a couple websites dedicated to the conversion process and many, many completed cars.

posted by  ChrisV

um alright

posted by  lamboluver

Yes... but putting a nice V8 in an Rx-7 boosts the power up nicely, especially if it is an LS1, now if you take a V8 out and put an Evo motor in... you are doing something different, but not necessarily as beneficial as replacing the rotary with a nice V8. I think that is why he was asking why would you do that.

posted by  Pythias

The 4G63 has assloads of potential. Just ask Jon Shephard or Brent Rau.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Your Message