Making a 3000gt faster...

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Making a 3000gt faster...

Okay I just bought a 93' 3000gt non-turbo. I love it and with a good 222hp under the hood its pretty fast. But i know compared to some of those turbocharged beasts out there, its crap.

I can't seem to find anything (besides these little electric superchargers that probobly dont do much) to make this car faster. (as you can probobly tell i dont know much about cars) It seems that the only turbos and mods or even tips on making the thing faster are for the vr-4. Believe me if i could afford a vr-4 it would be mine. So... Help? and would a little electric supercharger really do much?

posted by  flybynight1456

No, those electric superchargers are a scam. If you wanna spend money to make your 3000GT faster, you might as well sell it and get the VR-4, or perhaps the Dodge Stealth TT since its the same car.

posted by  PontiacFan27

superchargers are belt-driven, which means that they have a nasty reputation of killing reliability. if i were you, even though the car is naturally aspirated (non-turbo), still see if its exhaust system is able to accomidate at least a smaller turbo system. it may not be the easiest thing to do, but in many cars it is possible.

more importantly, to start Id suggest to look for a high-perf ECU (computer engine management chip). these, along with high-perf exhaust systems, usually are regarded as the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade performance: it is a perfect starting point. although your not gonna gain lots of HP (no 100+), the difference is significant enough to be noticed.

Many tuning companies such as HKS and Greddy offer high-performance ECU systems, and high-performance exhaust is readily available too. Borla is said to make very good exhaust kits, and they have a million-mile warranty!

also remember your mileage on the car's engine. as miles and miles wear by, engine wear becomes a problem and can gradually kill power. maybe before you make such upgrades, you can use simple engine-oil additives to get out more HP.

posted by  omegaV12

could not agree more with omega, justmake sure the engine is working perfectly before moding, the best way to get a bit more squirt is to have a perfectly working car then mod it, saves on head aches

posted by  DRFT-R

here's a site that i got a bit of stuff for my ol' 3kgt ... http://www.3sxperformance.com

posted by  Metzger

hey havent been on in a while. Own a 94 3000GT SL Non aspired hehe. Um dont think about doing a supercharger. Youll just be waisting your money. If you could afford to get a small single turbo I dont know how you wouldnt be able to get a OK vr-4 or TT... Thats just my opinion but I guess maintenance is a B###. "You may have bought the car but that brand new sticker price doesnt go away when you repair it." As for help on doing mods and stuff try: 3si.org, stealth316.com, us3s.org. forum as well as guides. Good luck.

posted by  nightroad

A 3000 GT is basically a Dodge Stealth. A heavy car too since it can be up to as much as 3700 lb. Also if it's a 93 then that car should be just about ready to be burning oil. Most Mitsubishi engines in the early 90's burned oil around 90k to 100k.

Looks like it's time for a rebuild soon if it hasn't been done already.

posted by  DukenukemX

i would just go with the vr4 .. i dont think he is looking for something domestic

posted by  lamboluver

Intake, exhaust, headers, engine work, port the head, tuning, cams, VR-4 turbo package?

posted by  newyorker

Not to sound rude or anything, but I go to an automotive school and while going to this school, I have learned that engine oil additives don't do anything. Oil is made to lubricate your engine and help to keep everything cooler. Additives that "unlock horsepower" do nothing. Oil is about the best lubricant you can buy, nothingwill make it slippier. Another thing, please do not buy octane boosters or fuel tank or injector cleaners. To boost your octane, you wouldhave to pour tonsof that stuff in your tank to make a difference, and it would only make a slightly better burn in the combustion chamber, and for the tank and injector cleaners... They do clean out your tank... but then that trash that it cleaned goes either into your fuel filter and clogs it up, or goes into you injectors and clogs them up. Just my 2 cents... I'm not ragging on anyone, just trying to share my learned knowledge.

posted by  AG_nismo

Is that why a camaro was filled with all Royal Purple fluids, and dynoed at 9HP more...and I saw this on PowerBlock some time ago

posted by  newyorker

Get your tuition back or stay awake and pay closer attention. Simply changing oil viscosity can affect the efficiency and therefore power output of an engine. It may be slight, but it is there. That being said, many of the claims you hear about increased power in TV or magazine ads are under closely confined operating perameters, so most of them are in effect bogus.

posted by  vwhobo

You have a point about changing the oil viscosity, but like you said... it is so slight that it usually doesn't matter. I'm not wanting to start an argument or anything, I was just trying to warn the guy to not waste his money on oil additives. They are not going to help much, if any. And about the 9 hp on the camaro, believe it if you want, but I don't. The only way that I see that being true is if the oil that was in there before had not been changed in five years and then they put the royal purple in. This is just my opinion, and I think my school is a great school, and I don't sleep in class.

posted by  AG_nismo

The oil that was in the Camaro was old. For all you know it could've been in there the life of the car. Plus there is a thing called dyno error. The experiment they did was bogus. If they really wanted to test it, they should have change the oil before getting the baseline dyno, and then dynod it a couple times and got the average. Then they shouldve changed to Royal Purple and do the same thing again. That wouldve been alot more conclusive.

The Stealth is as much of a domestic as the 3000GT, just like the Eagle Talon is to the Eclipse.

posted by  PontiacFan27

They didnt just change the oil but the tranny fluid, and i forget what its called but the round thing on the back underneath the car..

posted by  newyorker

Would that be the muffler or maybe the tire?:laughing:

posted by  thefonz

This is true, for the most part. The engine that is in the 3000gt is a chrysler made engine. I'm sure mitsubishi changed some things, but it is basically a domestic engine and tranny.

posted by  AG_nismo

Moron:banghead: ...I think its called the transaxle or some crap

posted by  newyorker

The differential. I watched the episode. They changed diff, engine oil, and tranny fluids. I know this, and doesn't change what I said.

No, they didn't. The Stealth and 3000GT were a joint effort by Mitsu and Chrysler Corp when they were still buddies, everything is identical.

posted by  PontiacFan27

No, they didn't. The Stealth and 3000GT were a joint effort by Mitsu and Chrysler Corp when they were still buddies, everything is identical.[/QUOTE]

i wasn't talking about differences between the 3000gt and the stealth, I was talking about the chrysler engine. I'm sure it wasn't an all new engine, probably an older chrysler engine that they rebuilt to new specs... but I really don't know for sure. I'm not that big on mits. or chrysler.

posted by  AG_nismo

4Q Dipshit it was a joke! So now you're saying I think its called the transaxle or some crap. Maybe you are the moron?:screwy:

posted by  thefonz

I may be a moron, but youre the bigger one for thinking its a muffler or a tire :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

He was joking.

posted by  PontiacFan27

He's not smart enough to figure that out. But he does know almost everything about Dodge Neons.:wink2:

posted by  thefonz

And its a bad thing to know almost everything about the car you drive? Especialy when its prone to break? Get out of my sight you make my eyes bleed

posted by  newyorker

Nah, It's a good thing to know all you can about a car. I won't pick on you anymore. Sorry about your eyes, hope they get better soon so your ability to see won't be clouded.:thumbs:

posted by  thefonz

Now that there is a problem....if you can see him, your eye will obviously bleed from the strain...:banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

They are bleeding from reading his moronic posts

posted by  newyorker

From what I've seen, your posts haven't been much better, you're just pissed off because you didn't notice one of his posts was a joke....which was seemingly obvious to the rest of us!

posted by  Cliffy

Ok genius, Ya want to keep it going, that's ok with me. I try to not talk junk on here to often. At least I don't claim to be something I am not. One thing I can be is a smartass for sure, but it usually takes some prompting.
Did you hear abbout the newyorker that broke his back raking leaves?
Yup, he fell out of the tree! Hahahahahahaha.

Do you get that joke? I tried to keep it real easy for you.:laughing:

posted by  thefonz

If a VR-4 is out of your budget I would save for ECU reflash, upgrade, and tuning. Research some manual ECU controllers if you feel confident tuning your own car. If you do not feel confident look for more "user friendly" systems that do not focus on standard functions such as ignition timing and idling temperature. From there I would go onto Stage 1 breathing mods and possibly a small single turbo to boot. It all depends on how much time and money you are willing to spend. There is a lot of information on modding 3000GTs, on the web so I suggest you start there. To put it simply ECU work, breathing work, turbo upgrade would be my path.

posted by  05BlackWRX

^Nice site...check there for some effective upgrades.:thumbs:

posted by  05BlackWRX

Your Message