New to the forum, what can i do to my prelude?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  New to the forum, what can i do to my prelude?

I just bought this car so I am already on a pretty tight budget. I have seen electronic turbochargers for under 400. I have also seen some close to 2000. Obviously the more expensive ones will be better but my question is if I buy a cheaper one, is it cheaper because it is not a complete setup and I will need additional parts? What else can I add for a reasonable price to make the car better? It has new headers. I was looking into a new intake but again, I am not sure what kind to get. Here is the car.

posted by  97prelude

...overkill, looked better stock :2cents:

But why bother with an electric turbo when you could just get nitrous, its about the same if not cheaper and can give you more power

posted by  99integra

Get yourslef two electronic turbos. The stickers alone will be worth 50 hp. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

whats that supposed to mean?

posted by  97prelude

Steven, don't you mean to just say that nitrous will give power. Even you know about the illustrious electronic turbos.

posted by  vwhobo

I meant its about the same price wise if not cheaper, but it will give more power that I'm certain

posted by  99integra

I dont know anything about nitrous. how does it work? How much would that cost?

posted by  97prelude

Think, type, submit young man. What have you learned about electric turbos on this forum?

posted by  vwhobo

I dont mean to be rude but can you actually help me?

posted by  97prelude

I remember that there was some guy who was gonna give them to everyone free to test because he wanted to prove that his product worked ...... or something similar. I don't think he comes around much anymore.

posted by  windsonian

If I'm not mistaken Nitrous provides a cooling effect in the intake air, reduceing the temp, making the air more dense, providing more oxygen into the cylinder.
Check out prices with Zex, Holley, Nitrous Express

posted by  99integra

Yes we can and I'm sorry, I forgot the world revolves around you. Steven and I are having a nice conversation. What have you done for Car-Forums lately?

posted by  vwhobo

Oh, I've learned that they are a complete and utter waste of money, or shall I go into detail?

posted by  99integra

lol ive yet to see you say one thing that actually had any point. thanks for the info integra.

posted by  97prelude

Check through his post history in Repair and Maintenance and General chat:wink2:

posted by  99integra

The correct answer is contained right in it's name. Nitrous oxide is rich in... wait for it... OXYGEN. By introducing additional oxygen to the engine it allows you to burn more fuel resulting in more power. The cooling effect (if any) is just a side benefit. We run our nitrous bottles at about 450-500 degrees Fahrenheit or about 1200 psi (kids, don't try this at home, it WILL explode) so there is little cooling effect.

posted by  vwhobo

Jesus 1200 psi??? What is it usually, or is that how high those bottles are running psi wise?

posted by  99integra

ok you have obviously figured this out already but I dont know anything about this stuff. How do you refill your nitrous? How many times can you use it before it runs out? What else will I have to install in my car so that it can handle the nitrous?

posted by  97prelude

Depends, the internals have to be strong enough to withstand it, you can use it a couple times before it runs out depending on HOW you use it

posted by  99integra

you know, with the money you have left, id buy a new coat of paint for the car, i mean, gold yuck! doesnt suit the car at all, maybe a dark metallic blue or something like that!

posted by  True_Brit

You should never exceed 950. Oops! :wink2:

What have you done for Car-Forums lately?

posted by  vwhobo

So than why not just get turbo and not have to refill it? I dont know anybody with nitrous thats why im surprised its the best thing to get. Most of my friends have turbochargers.

posted by  97prelude

Oh holy shit hobo......:doh:

posted by  99integra

"What have you done for Car-Forums lately?"

absolutely nothing. I dont know enough to help anybody yet. Im trying to learn as much as I can and eventually I will be able to help people. Everybody was a newb at some point. I dont see why you have such a hard time understanding that.

posted by  97prelude

And that's four bottles and eight soleniods feeding twin plates. Either it works or goes bang. Bang is cool, but expensive.

posted by  vwhobo

Haha man I would love to just hang around wherever you do this and observe

posted by  99integra

Try going here.

http://www.q8outlaws.com/q8flyer72dpi.jpg

posted by  vwhobo

if i wernt living in england right now..................

posted by  True_Brit

Headers on that engine won't be a big gain, nor will playing with air intake pipes. By now you will have figured out that the concensus is electric hairdryers will do zip.

You need to define a "reasonable price" and also ask yourself why you are wanting to up the power. Might be cheaper to get your thrills by purchasing a little 3 pot Suzuki with a turbo as a second car and hack around the track.

posted by  Wally

Love the pics! I had a 2000 prelude and I loved it, only problem was it was an automatic. Anyway.. if the electric turbo is what I think it is (i'm new here also), it's not even worth the money. I would just get a turbo system or nitrous. Do you have a CAI or anything yet? Basic mods aren't too expensive and they help some. Well, I think the car looks great, good luck and keep up the good work! :thumbs:

posted by  BoostedDreamz

thank you. even if you are new you are helpful. I think I am going to go for turbo I am doing research now. I just want to make sure that whatever turbo I buy will have everything I need.

posted by  97prelude

it should do, how pwerful (approx) is your honda???
i do like it (just not the colour and i do like the wheels!!!)

posted by  True_Brit

It was stock at 195 but has about 210 now (according to the guy i purchased it from) he has added new headers and i think a new intake.

posted by  97prelude

And i like the color. Its different.

posted by  97prelude

Will adding a second exaust pipe make much of a difference? I am already adding headers to increase exaust flow.

posted by  97prelude

If you were reading what you typed previously, you'd know that the car already has a header. It seems as though you can't keep your story straight. I wonder if there's a reason for that? None the less, how do you know you have a need for "increased exhaust flow"? My guess is that you don't, you just read it on some boy racer web site.

posted by  vwhobo

I just bought the car yesturday and the kid selling it is a mechanic. He has headers and is putting them on it before I pick it up on wedsnesday. I didnt decide that i needed more exaust flow I just read that increased exaust flow gives the engine more power. And I have already said i dont know much about this stuff which is why im here. If you are just going to continue being a dickhead and completely useless to me just ignore my thread. Im convinced that oyu just dont know the answers so you throw around your negative bullshit. Get a life.

posted by  97prelude

Wait you just read that more exhaust flow helps performance? You didn't know that?..

posted by  99integra

No, i didnt know that. I dont know anything about cars. Im here to learn. If you cant help me go jerk off your other little useless friend. You both know so much but for some reason choose to be assholes instead. I dont know why you would rather spend your time being negative than to help me. It would be so much faster the just offering advice.

posted by  97prelude

This is what I know. I know that this forum is over run with worthless little f*cks like you who ask stupid questions, don't listen when they get an answer and only want to make their car fast and furious. if you want to be treated with some respect, do something to deserve it.

Note: I made an error above. There are no stupid questions, only stupid people asking questions. Yes, so far you fit the profile.

posted by  vwhobo

Listen princess I was just asking if you honestly didn't know that because thats one of those "automotive 101's". Calm the f*ck down.

posted by  99integra

listen to the answers. how can i listen when you havent given me any answers.

posted by  97prelude

Ugh...why bother if you're gonna be a dillhole?

posted by  99integra

Dude, you said dillhole.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/image/images/small-bnb.gif

posted by  vwhobo

if you look at the start of the thread i wasnt being a dick i was asking for advice. I didnt ask for anybody in particular to help me. I just wanted anybody who could actually help me to do so. If you cant do it than ignore the thread. Thats all im asking.

posted by  97prelude

:laughing:

posted by  99integra

And if you look back you got helped, so maybe you should shut up and wait for more people

posted by  99integra

I am waiting for other people buy I dont see why you cant just help me when you obviously know the answers. A functional forum requires both experienced and non experienced people. If we all knew as much as you there would be no questions and if we all knew as much as I do there would be no answers. If you decide ud rather not answer the questions than dont say anything at all. You may know alot about cars but in terms of common sense you are both retarded.

posted by  97prelude

No, adding another exhaust pipe is just the same as one on a 4 banger, just get a catback and you'll get the same performance

posted by  99integra

I bet it'll look like this before you know it. :wink2: :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/vwhobo/2bdb0222.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/vwhobo/a830f019.jpg

posted by  vwhobo

One of these guys is really young, the other is old. Neither of them can help you more than these guys: http://92lude.com/forum/

posted by  What

sorry for being awkward but thats a 92 prelude forum and this blokes got the latest model! dunno if that makes a difference but im just suggesting it!

posted by  True_Brit

The name of the forum is 92prelude. All preludes are covered.

posted by  What

Just found this humorous :laughing:

posted by  99integra

I have read his other posts and I am not stupid I know vw knows alot. I only had a problem with his reluctance to share that info. As for the catback, those go for over 500 from what ive seen. Is it really worth it?

posted by  97prelude

Thanks for the site what.

posted by  97prelude

IMO, no, just run it off the header for free! :wink2:

posted by  99integra

I dont get what the headers do. Where do they go. Are they between the muffler and the converter or between the engine and the converter.

posted by  97prelude

Check out www.howstuffworks.com, you'll learn a lot.

The header runs off the engine, pipes go to converter which helps emissions, from the converter it goes to the muffler which quiets it, then to the exit pipes

posted by  99integra

thank you

now i know the cold air intake helps horsepower gain by providing cooler denser air to the engine. Where would you put the air filter to provide the coolest air for the intake? Also, if you get turbo for a car, do you need to upgrade any of your engine parts?

posted by  97prelude

You would put the CAI near the wheel well, or where maximum air flow can be achieved, the more air that can be drawn in the better :wink2:

Depends on how much PSI you run on the turbo

posted by  99integra

if i run it at a low psi to save my engine will it even be worth buying? I read another thread where somebody said 6-7 would blow an engine eventually.

posted by  97prelude

6-7 is nothin, and yea it'll blow your engine if you have a POS with high miles lol

posted by  99integra

Interesting. How many H22's have you installed turbos on, what kind of pressure did you run and how long did they last?

posted by  vwhobo

I thought that was bs, but then again if I run it that low will it even be worth installing? Basically what Im getting at is could I just install the turbo and leave my stock parts and still get noticeable gains.

posted by  97prelude

Ahh well let me just say none, ::sigh:: retracting previous statement and apologizing for assumptions without facts

posted by  99integra

so wait, can I do it or not lol? now im confused.

posted by  97prelude

Before you waste anymore of your or our time talking about modifications, you need to ensure that the current powertrain is in absolutely impeccable condition. Modifying a turd does nothing but waste money. With a high mileage engine (a '97 Prelude probably has at least 100k miles on it) it's even more critical to do so, ESPECIALLY if you intend to install power adders such as a turbo. While you're at it, how's your brakes, suspension and steering?

Right now you should be talking about tune-up, fluids, brakes and suspension and making sure it's right. To do anything else is just ignorant.

posted by  vwhobo

Ive already had everything checked. I just need a new second gear syncro. Im replacing the front left tire because I had it realligned because it was off the the left so the front left tire is worn. Otherwise the car is fine.

posted by  97prelude

Oh, well, you've had it checked. Did they drop the pan to inspect the main and rod bearings along with micing out the crank? What were the results of the leak down test? When was the last time the timing and balancer belts were replaced. How are the bearings in the idler and tensioner pulleys? What kind of head gasket does it have? What kind of brake fluid are you running and when was it flushed and changed last, composite or MLS? What about the clutch fluid? What's the thickness of your rotors and how much life is left in the brake pads? What brand of pads? How much clamping force does your clutch have?

I'm sure since you "already had everything checked" you can answer all these questions. Heck, you should have a printout from the shop that "checked" the car that you can scan ans share with us. I'm looking forward to seeing it before I crash out tonight.

posted by  vwhobo

yeah all that I know out of all of that was that the timing belt was changed 5 thousand miles ago. As was the clutch. Why would I know the rest? I dont do it myself I bring it to the mechanic thats close to my house. I had him check out the car before I bought it. I didnt ask him about what kind of break pads i was running? I just asked him if anything needed to be replaced and he told me I needed a 2cnd gear syncro and a reallignment. After the reallignment he told me to replace the front left tire. Ive done the allignment and I am waiting on the parts for the syncro. I still havent gotten the new tire either.

posted by  97prelude

and actually, although i know you were being sarcastic, I want to learn how to check that stuff on my own. Is it difficult to do?

posted by  97prelude

I was not being sarcastic, you just don't get it or want to get it. Those are things (and many more) that you need to know, especially if you're talking about power adders.

posted by  vwhobo

Well how do I find those things out for myself than?

posted by  97prelude

Hmmm, let me think about that. The first step is right here.

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/chi/30152.jpg

It should be illegal for anyone to own a car without one. That will give you the basics to get you started. Over and out.

posted by  vwhobo

Ill check ebay. Thank you.

posted by  97prelude

Interesting comment.... I would think that there are some people who shouldn't own one, because they shouldn't really be touching the car themselves. Do more damage than they save.

posted by  windsonian

you have to learn somehow. Better to have the information in front of you rather than just guessing.

posted by  97prelude

and you think there might be some merit in that particular thread? If I didn't write it, chances are it's not true.:mrgreen:

Let me tell you that if you go down the turbo route, you will need an aftermarket ECU & ancillaries and keep within the limits of knock, ignition timing, egt, cylinder pressure, turbine shaft speed.

posted by  Wally

How much do you think I would end up spending total?

posted by  97prelude

Your Message