performance chip or resistor?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  performance chip or resistor?

I ahve a 1990 Celica GT and im wondering if i should get a proboost platinum chip or just a simple resistor for my car. The chip says it will improver power up to 35-45hp and the resistor up to 20hp. I was just wondering if any of you guys know if that sepecific chip requies me to cut or splice and wires? If it does i might just stay with the resistor unless you guys think differently...

posted by  Greg87

Links?

posted by  vwhobo

here are just the simple ebay links...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Supra-Celica-Tacoma-Tercel-Echo-Perfo rmance-Chip_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107070QQihZ009QQitemZ190010126738QQr dZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Horsepower-chip-mod-Toyota-CAMRY-CELICA-20hp _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ014QQitemZ330008551942QQrdZ1

posted by  Greg87

That is some funny sh*t right there. Especially the one whare it asks; "Why pay $20 for a $.02 resistor in a box?!?" They only want you to pay $14.99 for it. :laughing:

Save your money and put it toward something that might actually have a positive effect on your car's performance like a new air filter or a shiney new PCV valve. The junk that they're selling will only increase power under very specific conditions and in a very narrow RPM range although the one place has it packaged nicely. Additionally, the power gain would be on the order of perhaps 1 hp if you're lucky, not 20-45. The fact that they can claim that without being thrown in jail is amazing. If you don't believe me, you can go to the nearest Radio Shack and purchase everything you need to duplicate their product except for the cosmetics... For under a dollar. Make it a science project and then throw it in the trash.

posted by  vwhobo

what would a PCV valve do on my car? would it actually improve the performance?

posted by  Greg87

If the one that is currently installed is faulty, yes. Maybe instead of looking at all the bright and shiney pictures of things that promise to make your car go fast, you should spend some time learning about how your car works.

Note: Don't waste your time and ours responding to tell me how knowledgable you are. This thread and your other posts will betray your attempt.

posted by  vwhobo

i bought one of those things, not the one you have linked, but because it was so cheap i figured why not just get it to see, it helped enough to notice it, in the mid rpms but yeah its pretty much wasted money

posted by  dsmracersv98

tricking the ECU into thinking the air temperature is something it is not will change the fueling ratio, possibly detrimentally. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

posted by  Wally

I've done extensive testing on this just for fun. It will richen the mixture somewhat until you go into closed loop, then the O2 sensor(s) essentially take over and there is no difference. On a modern car, how long does the engine management system remain in closed loop? If you answered not very, you win the prize.

posted by  vwhobo

Unless you're running a megasquirt :wink2:

posted by  Wally

If you're running megasquirt you wouldn't need this. You could just tell megasquirt to give more fuel at any given time. You don't need to trick MS.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I was referring to the default closed loop iterated algorithm.

posted by  Wally

Your Message