1986 honda accord question

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  1986 honda accord question

Hi folks

I was thinking of buying a 1986 Honda Accord with manual transmission for 200$ but it needs the timing chain replaced and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy it then replace the timing chain because i basically just need a commuter car.

posted by  nate22590

Personally, I'd pass. $200.00 is really cheap. I go by the saying, "You get what you pay for." There are those few that would probably be great for cheap, but if you need to rely on this car, I'd pass.

posted by  SyntheticTrust

You're a little rich girl who gets new BMWs and Hondas given to you. Your opinion doesn't have any relevance here... Or anywhere else on this forum for that matter.

If it needs the timing chain replaced, run for the hills. 1986 Accords (US and Canadian spec) all came with a 2.0l engine with a timing belt. If it has a timing chain, who knows what else is screwed up on the car.

posted by  vwhobo

cheap car or not, its a honda, itle run for ever... id say change the timing belt... its not a chain... i hope not anyways cuz as hobo said, "If it has a timing chain, who knows what else is screwed up on the car"

posted by  mazda6man

How well did you think that out before you made a recommendation? Do you know why "it needs the timing chain (or belt as we've established) replaced"? If it's because it has broken, that engine as most Hondas, is interference. Can you say big bucks for an old car?

posted by  vwhobo

no, i had just assumed that the timing chain haddent broken, due to the fact that he probably would have said it doesnt run due to a failure of that nature. i figured that since its a nineteeneightysix honda accord, perhaps the belt is rather stretched out and could probably go for replacing

posted by  mazda6man

That's one of the problems with most of these extremely vague posts asking for help or advice. How can we make a reasonably educated guess with near zero information?

posted by  vwhobo

cant really, no matter how hoard we try, itle never happen. most people come on souly to ask quick quickquestions and leave, not even taking the time to make sure they state it properly...

so how i deal with it, assume i know the direction theyre going... or just ignore it and look for some other thread to type in

posted by  mazda6man

How many miles are on the car? 200 is pretty low for a Honda, even a beat to shit one.

posted by  99integra

Excuse you but cars arent just given to me. I earn what I get.

So how did you earn them? Did your pimp give them to you?

As I recall the story your mommy gave you the BMW and then your grandma gave you the Accord. Is that reasonably correct? What exactly did you do to earn about $60k worth of cars in about two weeks? Discover the cure for cancer? Broker world peace? No, what I said before is accurate and stands. But just for you, let me repeat is because I know you love the attention.

SPOILED LITTLE RICH BITCH.

posted by  vwhobo

sorry vwhobo i didnt relaize wut i said. I meant timing belt. didnt mean to mix everyone else up sorry. I dont know much else about the car other then that it needs a timing belt replaced. thats all the guy said when i asked him about the car to buy. But i think ill pass i guess.

posted by  nate22590

Well we got the timing belt, water pump, and something else (Dad couldn't remember what) replaced on my '89 Accord for about $250. So if it's really just the timing belt, I'd say go for it. But for $200, I kinda doubt that's the only problem...:ohcrap:

posted by  jedimario

If I was spoiled I'd have everything I want. But I dont, I have full time job just like the rest of you. I have to pay for my own horses and phone bills. I am not spoiled.

Oh don't ya'll start now. :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

So how does any of that, if true, translate into earning to new cars? The obvious and honest answer is that it doesn't. I work full time owning and operating several businesses. I employee many people, give to charity, shovel my wife's horses shit and pay my own phone bill. Somebody give me a space shuttle, I earned it.

posted by  vwhobo

It could still be a good deal, but "needs timing belt" could mean almost anything. The question that needs to be answered is WHY does it need a timing belt.

posted by  vwhobo

If you do get a space shuttle, could you scoop some cheese up from the moon for me? :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Only if you "deserve it". :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

I wouldnt. For about 1000 bux im sure you can find something newer and in running condition. Still it might need some work, but a repair like that on such an old car might not prove to be economically smart in the long run.:2cents:

posted by  newyorker

know why people look at cars for 200? cuz they sometimes cant afford cars for 1000

posted by  mazda6man

Yea but if hes willing to spend another 600 on a timing belt, thats already 800. Why not add 200 or at least stay at 800, and get something better?

posted by  newyorker

Does everyone just ignore my posts or something? :doh:

posted by  jedimario

Clearly :doh:

posted by  Cliffy

Yeah, that's a great idea. Spend $800 on a car that needs $200 worth of work. How does that make it better? :roll:

I do my level best. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

Because, there is no gurantee with ANY used car that you're not going to have to spend another grand in the near future to fix something. No gurantee that that choice will be "better." You have to go all the way to a new car with a warranty to get to the point where YOU won't have to shell out for some unexpected failure.

So if the rest of the car is decent for $200, you at least get to know the history of the parts you replace.

posted by  ChrisV

A $600 belt?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?! for a honda?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
are you mad man?!?!?!?!:screwy:

posted by  mazda6man

I said spend the same 800 on a car, or add 200 and get something for 1000..not invest 200 into an 800 dollar car.

posted by  newyorker

I just assume so because my mom paid 400 to get hers done on a 97 civic 2 years ago...prices for parts on older jap cars are more...true i did kinda pull that outa my ass..

posted by  newyorker

400 dollars to get it done?!?1 holy crap... in my opinion, sounds like she got raped in that deal? whered she go?

posted by  mazda6man

I've always had cheap cars, I bought me last car (VW Golf Driver 1.6) for £120, it had only 83,000miles(ish) on it and was taxed and MoT'd. I kept it going for a year before Taxing and MoTing it again and selling it for £500! That's probably the biggest bargain I've bought (I've had my fair share of motors, some dodgy, some less so!). Only fault with it was some slight rear end damage!

posted by  Cliffy

To install a timing belt I think thats quite reasonable.

posted by  newyorker

Not sure I'd say reasonable, but then, I'm not too familliar with the currency etc, and how much such things cost over there.....just seems a litle steep at first glance!

posted by  Cliffy

OK maybe I should clarify...parts AND installation...now just labor

posted by  newyorker

I took that into account!

posted by  Cliffy

The part itself is cheap cheap cheap. Its just a rubberband.

I've never worked on a Honda myself, but I hear that the timing belts on them can be bitches. I don't know if thats accurate or not, but if it is it could account for the high labor cost. Remember, mechanics arent cheap and theyll screw you over if they can. If mommy was willing to pay $400, thats what theyll charge her.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Moron. You lose all credibility when you make a statement like "mechanics...theyll screw you over if they can". That's no better than saying that everyone who drives a red Pontiac is a jackass just because you are. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

It wasnt one shop that quoted her this price. Its an expensive repair. Maybe not around your neck of the woods, but here it is

posted by  newyorker

its an 86 how much money do you expect them to sell it for???

posted by  lamboluver

Honda's retain their value, I would say...oh a couple grand it should sell for?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?mod_bookmark_id=null&advanc ed=&bkms=1154519784053&num_records=&certified=&isp=y&search=y&lang=en&spons orModel=%2Fredirect%2Fredirector_link.jsp%3Fto_url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fad. doubleclick.net%252Fclk%253B34633489%253B13233611%253Bd%253Fhttp%253A%252F% 252Fautomobiles.honda.com%252Ftools%252Fbuildandprice%252Fmodels.asp%253FRU RL%253D%252Flanding.asp%26mis%3DFNSFBDMGEH625&search_type=both&make=HONDA&m odel=ACCORD&start_year=1981&end_year=1990&min_price=&max_price=&distance=50 &address=33770&x=101&y=9

posted by  99integra

If my car is any barometer, then it should sell for a little less than 2K in good condition with about 150,000 miles.

posted by  jedimario

Your Message