Is Mazda reliable?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Is Mazda reliable?

I can get into car auctions for the dealers and can get a really good deal on the cars especially with the gavel guy dropping it early for me.:thumbs: I've narrowed my decision down to three types of cars: Mazda 6 (MX 6), Toyota Camry, or a Honda Accord. The car design I love the most is the Mazda 6. I can afford an '03 and probably nothing newer. I know Toyota is reliable and can drive for hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of, and the same with Honda, but the Accords on top of the list of stolen cars.

So my question is "Is the 2003 Mazda 6 a reliable car?" I'll be driving back and forth from college and home over the breaks and have no desire to get stuck on the turnpike (especially since I have no knowledge of cars).:ohcrap: How many miles do you think the Mazda 6 will give me because five years down the road I don't want to dump money in to it. I know with a Toyota I wouldn't need to do that.

Thanks in advance!!

posted by  Boneseh

Mazdas are of the most reliable cars, just like honda and toyota.

And also you can't beat the drive of the mazda6 compared to a honda accord and toyota camry. My sister used to have a camry and my dad used to have an accord and they're not exactly fun-driving cars.

posted by  Bronxie

So the V6 Accords with like 240hp and the new Camry with 268hp won't be fun to drive? You're comparing old cars with new cars.

posted by  99integra

The Mazda 6 and Mx6 are two very different cars.

posted by  PontiacFan27

ok first mazdas arent known for being "reliable" they are known for being economical .. good on gas .. cheap .. and 2nd i would have to disagree about your view on the ride of the accord and camry .. camry have great ride ... they may not be the most powerful .. but nor is the mazda 6

posted by  lamboluver

Well, I work at mazda in orlando, and totell the truth mazda 6's are fairly reliable cars. If you get one, make sure you get the v6 version. The one with the 2.3L is kinda sluggish. We don't have the 6's coming in with very many problems. But, the 3's are probably mazda's most reliable car.

posted by  AG_nismo

You have to ask yourself though, just how quick would one want his family saloon to be? 2.3-litres is gonna be nippy enough, I gues if you're used to V8's etc it's another matter....

Beat me to it, I'm suprised it wasn't caught sooner, lol :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

My girlfriend's 92 Mazda Protege has been very reliable so far...she's had it for about a year and a half. Its also a very comfortable car. But then again its got very low mileage still, so who knows.

posted by  Mathew

Yes. I was looking at an 02 protege. They are assembled in Japan, and I havent heard anything bad about them. Consumer report is sitting right in front of me, and gave it great marks. Plus they are pretty cheap. This car was a 02 protege LX 5-speed 62k miles GREAT condition sold for 7000...not bad for a 4 year old car with good milage.:2cents:

Best luck in your search

posted by  newyorker

My friends father bought a Mazda 6 for use in commuting into New York on a daily basis. Says he loves the car and it is still running strong past 35K with no issues. Can't say for sure how the 6 holds up long term, but I have only heard good things.

Here is some engine/vehicle specs I hope you will find useful.

Mazda 6 :

engine 2.3L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder
160@6000rpm-horsepower
155@4000rpm-torque
137.9-cubic inches
9.7:1-compression ratio

3.0L DOHC 24-valve 6-cylinder
220@6300rpm-horsepower
192@5000rpm-torque
181.1-cubic inches
10.0:1-compression ratio

fuel-regular unleaded

type- FWD

transmissions-M/T-5-speed manual

A/T-4-speed EC dual-mode AT w/overdrive

1st-2.816
2nd-1.497
3rd-1.000
4th-0.725
5th-------
reverse-2.648
final drive-4.105

A/T-5-speed EC dual-mode AT w/overdrive

1st-3.801
2nd-2.131
3rd-1.364
4th-0.935
5th-0.685
reverse-2.970
final drive-3.712

front suspension

independent, high-mount double wishbone,coil springs and stabilizer bar

rear suspension

independant, E-type multi-link, coil springs and stabilizer bar

turning circle, curb-to-curb (feet)-38.7

front brakes-ventilated discs(11.1x1.0 inches)
rear brakes-solid discs(11.0x0.4 inches)

wheels 5.0JJ x 16(steel)
7.0JJ x 16(alloy)
7.0JJ x 17(alloy)

tires P205/60R16 91 H-rated all-season steel-belted radials
optional P215/50R17 93 V-rated all season

curb weight
M/T 4-cylinder 6-cylinder
3042lbs 3243lbs
A/T 3091lbs 3311lbs

Hope this helped:mrgreen:

posted by  05BlackWRX

Your Message