custom turbo setup from junkyard

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  custom turbo setup from junkyard

when i put this thing together in my 2003 galant will i need a new ecu? or will i be able to control the stock one enough with the right software. I guess all I need is mixture control to prevent detonation, I will only be running a 10psi boost.

posted by  bebopin64

at 10psi, the ecu should be able to controll itself. but i dont want to be held liable for saying that

posted by  mazda6man

im pretty sure i read somewhere that the ecu on the 8g galant will on startup set for 89 octane gas and if it senses detonation it retards to where it should be for 93 octane. or is that backwards? :screwy: too tired. anyways i guess if i run 10psi and high octane as opposed to 89 with no boost it should be similar. that is assuming of course that im not full of shit which i might be.

posted by  bebopin64

if you turbo, you buy premium petrol, no questions asked

posted by  mazda6man

yeah i know but i just hope that it retards the combustion enough that the stock ecu can handle with no mods.

posted by  bebopin64

the stock ecu is going to control how much fuel goes in for how much air is being crammed in. so you wont have to worry so much about retarding and advancing timing

posted by  mazda6man

is it a limitless adjustment for the ecu? ie will it keep increasing the fuel input to make up for detonation until the fuel injectors cant handle it anymore?

posted by  bebopin64

The factory ECU will advance the timing until it knocks with higher octane gas, and then retard one step back. Timing will adjust itself, as will fuel. Stock ECU can work for damn near any amount of boost, but when you start making good power it would be highly advised to get a system like Megasquirt where you can tune everything yourself.

posted by  PontiacFan27

so long story short, i dont need to tune?

posted by  bebopin64

id atleast reset your ecu, as desputed in the "resetting your ecu" topic somewheres else in the forum

posted by  mazda6man

Wow, that's a huge boost. I thought most turbochargers can give a 7-8 psi boost.

posted by  Bronxie

?????????????????????????????????????
youve never seen some of the real deal turbos then have you?!? 30+lbs

posted by  mazda6man

You're thinking of superchargers.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Your Message