WRX STi vs. G35 Coupe

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  WRX STi vs. G35 Coupe

Hi all, as you can tell, I'm new to this website and I hope I posted this thread in the correct section as I believe the G35 Coupe is Asian but the Subaru is European(???). I am in the market for a new (2006) car and I've narrowed it down to the Infiniti G35 Coupe or the Subaru WRX STi. I've given this considerable thought and have done alot of research...what I'm looking for is personal experience...good or bad. Your help is much appreciated.

posted by  fabrizio

subaru is asian :screwy:

anyways i guess between those cars it matters on personal preference, the STi is sportier and quicker, and the G35 is sporty, but more luxorious imo. so if u want luxury go for the g35, fast, STi. thats me tho, id go for the STi

posted by  Stem

G35 is American and the Subaru is Japanese. The G35 is all a luxury car should be with basically the same HP as a WRX STi but its N/A so it has more easy HP mods because the turbo option isn't used up.

posted by  bebopin64

mhm sure, but the STi is awd and way quicker...

posted by  Stem

Given a choice I'd take the American Skyline. :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

I'm pretty sure that G35 is made by Infinity, in affiliation with Nissan and Nissan is Japenese...

In any case, this is a matter of personal preference. The two cars are very similar. The G35 is a lot more luxurious but the STI has a lot more torque, is AWD, and has 4 doors. So it all matters on you want. I'd personally take the G35 because you don't need that much power on the streets yet the luxury and the respect stay.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

If you want all wheel drive the G35 is still a viable option. Assuming you dont mind having rear doors.

posted by  skeetin870

Infinity = Nissan. It was created to be a more luxurious brand as a whole for us Americans, just like Lexus for Toyota and Acura for Honda. They're just rebadged. Apparently in Japan brand image isn't as important for a car buyer as the car itself like it is here.

posted by  PontiacFan27

i always thought infiniti was american cause i thought it was in the american section on gran turismo. And the subaru only has 10hp more than the infiniti. the added luxury and style of the g35 far outweighs the 10hp and awd. the awd is not all that useful for people that just want a quick daily driver anyway.

posted by  bebopin64

lol dont get ur facts from video games...

posted by  Stem

Infiniti is an American brand. They aren't sold anywhere else under that name. But they are just rebadged Nissans. So our infiniti G35 is Japan's Nissan Skyline.

AWD provides better launches and traction in all conditions. Especially useful in snow or rain where RWD becomes a handful. Turbo'd cars can be made faster for cheap, like $20 boost controller cheap. Plus, its not like the Infiniti is all that luxurious compared to the STI. The STI is pretty comfortable and civilized, as compared to the Lancer EVO which is more harsh and fun.

posted by  PontiacFan27

the subaru is just that though, a subaru. subaru has never had the greatest cars. The STi is quick but its likely to have problems. IDK all I know is that I would buy a G35 definitely even having to drive in the snowy icey mountains.

posted by  bebopin64

thanks for all the input; but i'm still at a crossroad!! here is my take;

G35 -- PRO's
-more luxurious
-better leasing rates (according to the website)
-more appropriate for my age range (30 years old) for a primary car
G35 -- CON's
-RWD and been told cannot drive the winters without winter tires (added expense)
-two door (could also be a pro, but when comparing to the 4-door WRX, i think its a CON)
-too many on the road, i tend to favour cars that are not common

WRX PRO's
-the power!!!
-4WD
-4-door
-distinct sound
-i've wanted this car for the past 5 years
WRX CON's
-big ass spoiler (too "highschool" for me)
-gold rims (will ask to replace with silver rims)
-a great car as a secondary vehicle or if i was 23 years old
-a little more expensive lease payments

i'm taking both for a test drive next week...i'll let you all know what i decide. thanks for your opinions...keep them coming.

posted by  fabrizio

This fixes all that, cept for the payments =/ clicky (http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2006_new_york/0605_2007_subaru_wrx _sti_limited/)

posted by  jedimario

that is EXACTLY what i would be looking for...unfortunately, i live in toronto, ontario, canada...and the article states only in the US. you americans have all the great cars!!

posted by  fabrizio

Its a sad day when someone says America gets better versions of foreign cars then they do.

posted by  PontiacFan27

england gets great cars too! look at the subaru impreza, the americans didnt get that till the 2nd gen model! we had it since release, tvr's are great, dont know why they arnt sold in america!

posted by  True_Brit

We dont get Fiats or Pugeots either, so I guess its a fair trade-off.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Well in this case we do, at least in his opinion.

posted by  jedimario

Probably won't do the mileage expected of them, lol....but then again....niether will Subarus :ohcrap:

Whilst Gran Turismo is quite realistic, it's naive to compare this with real life! :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

I don't know where some of you guys facts are coming from but let me set some things straight.

The G35 can be purchased in 4door or 2door with awd or rwd.(as skeetin had pointed out)

The G35 is a JAPANESE made car...If you were wondering why it was under USA in Gran Turisimo, it is because the trademark "infiniti" is only available in the United States. "Infinitis" are rebadged Nissans. In Japan, the G35 is the new nissan skyline(not the GT-R model).

The gold rims on the STi are an option. Silver wheels cost the same price.

Personally I would go with the STi for sheer performance and unrefined driving style. The G35 can bite too but is a more civilized and luxurious vehicle.

posted by  O5BlackWRX

Did you not read my post?
If you can stand back doors the platform is the same and you can get it with AWD. Same engine, same transmission, and more or less the same good looks. Also the G35 with a 6 speed has 298 horsepower and without turbo lag, which in the STI has quite a bit of. A friend of mine was was doing an exhaust job for a friends birthday and I drove it and it certainly was a kick in the pants once the turbo kicked in. The spoiler and hood scoop were also jittery, I personaly would go for the G35.

posted by  skeetin870

i'm not sure what is offered in the states or in any other country, but in canada you cannot get the AWD in the G35 coupe with a standard transmission (which i should of mentioned is what i'm looking for)...you can only get the AWD with an automatic transmission.

i do like the look of the 4-door in the STi but i don't like the look of the G35 sedan

posted by  fabrizio

Your Message