a couple 240sx S13 questions

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  a couple 240sx S13 questions

Hello guys, I'm thinking about selling my 1994 300zx N/A and buying a nice S13. First of all, I want to know if this is even remotely a good idea. My reasoning for doing this is because I want a car that is much more upgradable and not so damn heavy. I'm tired of getting smoked in the twisties.

Also I was wondering, does the S13 have airbags or is it only the S14 that has them?

How reliable is the KA24DE? About how many miles is expected out of them?

Do all SE versions have LSD?

Will the wheels I bought for my 300zx fit on the 240? I remember hearing that somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply to me.

posted by  Wilbee

First of all you shouldn't be street racing, it's not only illegal, it's dangerous for you and more importantly those around you. Having said that, how often do you end up in the twisties? Most of the people that I know that steet race do it stop light to stop light or a quick 35-100mph sprint. All you really need is two T3/T4's and about 10-12 psi. So I'd say no. Don't jump on the bandwagon. You'd be downgrading. Unless that's what you really want.

From my research it doesn't look like the S13 came with airbags but I could be mistaken.

As reliable as the maintance and care it was given by it's previous owner. For a grocery getter motor it's great. But if you're serious about performance, you might want to look at an SR20 swap. The KA24DE has small potential and a very small aftermarket and compared to its big brothers (SR20DET and RB26DET).

No, I believe the LSD was never standard, it was only offered as an option.

Depends on the bolt pattern but most likely yes, they should fit.

NP:wink2:

What would I do if I were in your shoes? Nismo LSD (if you don't have one already), stainless steel brake lines, hawk brake pads and powerslot rotors, coilovers, and finally twin turbos. (in that order)

Just curious, how old are you?

*EDIT: NVM I found it :18. :doh:

posted by  elchango36

While I normaly agree with you, the area that it happens around here is far away form pedestrians and is relatively safe compared to "stoplight to stoplight." The only racing that goes down around here is in tight wraped corner areas, so its pretty much all twisties.

The N/A Z is ver much NOT capable of bolting on a couple turbos. Way too high compression ratio. If that were an option, I would not be posting here today.

Thanks for looking around. I found the same answer with my research, but my friend that owns an S13 says he thinks there might be some out there.

The KA24DE has HUGE potential. Ive seen upwards of 500-600whp with a nice turbo setup. Also, I honestly don't want to deal with getting a JDM engine smogged or have to deal with importing parts. Also, its RB26DETT. I'm pretty sure the 2.6L didn't have a single turbo option.

Good to know, thanks.

This doesn't really help much, but thanks anyways. Thanks for taking the overall time to post, it is appriciated.

posted by  Wilbee

I disagree, it's very capable of running 2 turbos, it's still a VG30DE without the T. Ofcourse you don't just slap on two turbos and call it a day. You'd have to tune. Whilest tuning, you drop the compression ratio (you have to).

HHHMM, It's potential is far from huge. Some serious work has to go into the KA24DE so that it could handle that much power. NTM You'd most likely be putting together a kit yourself. I've only seen a handful of turbo'd KA24DE as opposed to the countless SR20DETs. Oh, as far as the RB26DETT, yeah I missed a T big whoop, sry I was typing a little fast. We both know what I meant.:wink2:

posted by  elchango36

I've already researched this to death. For the amount of money it would cost to put on a couple of turbos to the N/A, I could just about do an entire engine swap or buy an entirely new TT car.

There are plenty of KA-T cars out there, plenty of kits, plenty of upgrades.

Also, I didn't mean to put it like I was being a hardass about the RB26DETT thing. Sorry if it came across like that.

posted by  Wilbee

Don't worry about it. To be quite honest it was late and I was a little crabby last night after a long week of studying and what not. I hope you stick aound, you seem like you have a head on top of your shoulders, unlike many noobs we get on here that come and go. :wink2:

posted by  elchango36

Don't bother. Just get a good size turbo for your 300ZX and suspension.

posted by  PontiacFan27

sr20!!! glavine... jk

turbo shouldnt be a big deal, i thought the CR was the same as the twin turboZ... but then again, i dont know much about nissans

posted by  mazda6man

I dont want to turbo my Z. Not only are there no kits, but it would not be a good idea to turbo a high compression engine that already has 140K miles of autocrossing/racing/commuting in it. The Z's stock suspension is already a lot stiffer than a lot of other cars out there. When my friend with a GTI put on his coilovers, my car was still stiffer. I dont think I want to do anything to the VG30DE because it costs a lot for parts, and the parts wont add enough horsepower for the money. That is my main frustration with the car, I want a car that I can upgrade and actually notice the difference.

posted by  Wilbee

Why would you buy a turbo kit? Thats a waste of money. Have pipes fabbed and buy the rest individually. Rebuild your engine, give it high octane gas at the pumps and uprage your fuel system and you'll have one fast and good handling little coupe.

posted by  PontiacFan27

cant the compression ratio in any engine be changed ( at least by 1:1 )
by getting the right pistons?

ex, bringing the CR from 11.5 : 1 to something like 10:1 or 9.5:1

by getting deep dished pistons?

posted by  nighthawk

Of course it can be done, what I think he's trying to say is he doesn't want to tinker with the Z.

Wilbee: if downgrading to the 240 is gonna put a big smile on your face, DO IT! You're gonna be the one driving it afterall. If you have your mind made up already, why is this thread stil alive?

posted by  elchango36

Yeah, Its not made up yet. I still dont know what I'm doing, but it for sure isnt going to be upgrading the Z. I just dont want to feel like an idiot when I sell the Z and am stuck with a messy 240. The point of this topic was to have some questions answered, and a lot of them still haven't been satisfactorialy.

posted by  Wilbee

are we still talking about a 300z?!?!?! far from little, the things a boat monster

posted by  mazda6man

hahaha, yes it is most definitely a boat monster. Partial reason why i want a "little coupe."

posted by  Wilbee

Your Message