Eclipse a good car?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Eclipse a good car?

I have fallen in love with this car since i was about 9. Ive always dreamed about getting this car as my 1st car. Now that my day are numbered until im 16 i realise i wasnt all the value for my money. I want a fast (nothin too serious just a fun drive), good gas milage, comfort, and reliability. I have a budget of 3500 and for that i can buy a GS-T with about 130,000 miles. Thats with some good lookin around. I wanted to ask people who have owned the car what they think of it. Should i go for a more practical car like an old honda or a old mustang maybe? My heart is pretty set on the eclipse but i might change my mind.

posted by  Metallica3491

They have quite a few horror stories wit reliability and all, my biased opinion I'd stay away and get a more reliable car for that money. :2cents:

posted by  99integra

I agree

posted by  newyorker

Part of the reason they're so unreliable is because they're popular with kids. Kids beat on their cars. I would go for it, but make sure you find one with a good maintenance history. Change timing belt immediatly, do regular oil and filter changes. Take care of it, and it will try to take care of you. As long as you have some sort of money coming in, you can afford maintenance on it. Its not going to break every week, just be aware that their are more reliable cars out there for your money. If you like the Eclipse, I'd say go for it.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Isnt the eclipse a DSM...and those are pretty unreliable i heard...from you actually

posted by  newyorker

Yes, it is. And yes, they aren't known for their reliability. But that is most of their problems. People beating the shit outta them and they wonder why their car breaks down.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I redline my truck all the time (along with my dad) with a bad throw out bearing and it makes a horrible noise but I still haven't killed it yet. :mrgreen:

posted by  99integra

Ur getting tere though

posted by  newyorker

Well the thing is we have to do it a lot to merge onto major highways because we do quite a bit of drivin everywhere, when the clutch goes i'll replace the throw out bearing as well, factory everything so it won't be too long hopefully.

posted by  99integra

I know when I go to replace mine im gona replace the TOB, clutch, and Presure plate

posted by  newyorker

the ones w/ the real problems are the 95-99 cars... your grandma could drive a 95-99 dsm w/ the 4g63 motor and end up with crankwalk. :2cents: the others don't seem near as bad, even when beaten...

posted by  dodger65

OK if its a 1g or 2g eclipse get it if 3g dont the engine isnt that good its the same type of engine on my galant.

posted by  mr.galant

no. it's the 2g you don't want to get...

posted by  dodger65

2g is fine. Crankwalk isn't all that common a problem, but it does happen sometimes. I like 1g a whole lot better, but I hate 3g. Its hideous, heavier, and slower.

posted by  PontiacFan27

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=crankwalk

...seems really rare... i have a '98 GST spyder w/ 80k miles on it in my garage getting its 3rd engine...

posted by  dodger65

People blow the crankwalk issue way out of proportion. Yes, its known to happen. Being known to happen it has happened and does happen. So yes, it makes sense that you have or have heard of it happening. But does that mean it happens all the time? No. Probably less than 10% of 2gs actually have that problem.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I don't care if it only happens 2% of the time, if I knew someone that was replacing his engine for the 3rd time with only 80k miles on it I say **** that.

posted by  Pythias

It can and has happened to every car. Mitsu, Ford, Toyota, I can gaurantee for every company out there that mass produces vehicles has had at the very least a handful of cases where thats happened.

Theres plenty of DSM owners who have never had a problem.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Yet why is it that DSM's get the most sh*t.... It might be because there is some truth behind it, look at Mike's car.

posted by  Pythias

Like I said, they're popular with young people who beat them to the ground. And it is true that they aren't the most reliable car out there, but you can't take one guys case and apply it to every unit of a car model.

Who's Mike?

posted by  PontiacFan27

Your Message