I want a Miata, let me explain...

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  I want a Miata, let me explain...

http://www.chrismore.com/image/ZoomZoomLive_111205.jpg

So this past weekend was the Mazda Zoom Zoom Live event in the Chicagoland area. And what happens at this event is Mazda sets up some autox tracks, brings a bunch of their new cars, and lets the public have at it...for free. Tons of fun!! I started with the Mazda Cx7, then moved up the line to the Mazda 3, 5, 6, Mazdaspeed 6, and then my favorites the MX5 and the RX8. I could write a very long post detailing how my day went but I want to get to my point. The MX5 aka Miata.

What a car! I loved it. It was my first time not only driving a convertible, but sitting in one too. I now understand what all the fuss was about in that "best way to soak up the rays" thread. There's no other feeling in the world, it's hard to describe. But that's not why I loved it so much.

It looks awesome. Before I drove it, I liked everything about it except the tail-lights (they reminded me of altezzas). But they've grown on me. The interior is flawless. It's elegant yet sporty. It's modern and black, and I love black interiors. But that's not all.

The car is amazing. It does everything you want it to do and then some. It never says no. You don't feel like you're driving a car, you feel like you're part of the car. When you drive it, you understand the Japanese philosophy they had in mind when building it. "Jinba-ittai" means horse and rider in perfect harmony, and they really nailed that one on the head. You always feel like you're in control. I can't re-iterate it enough, it does exactly what you want it to do. It's light, and it's very very nimble. It feels like nothing I've ever driven. It's a blast to drive and this brings me to the biggest reason why I love this car so much.

When you get out of it, you can't help but SMILE:mrgreen:. It quite literally puts a smile on your face. I'm not joking. If you don't believe me, get down to your local mazda dealer, and take one out for a test drive. I've never felt anythingy like that in a car. That's why I love it so much. It makes you feel great. The last time I felt that good, I had 2 girlfriends, I was in high school, and I was having the time of my life.

Now I've been told by a friend of mine that even though the new Miata has been up'ed in displacment, hp, and torque, the handling is the same as the old one. It's no more grippier than the previous gens. So fellow CF-ers, I've made up my mind.

elchango36 will be putting new brake rotors in his Civic, and then selling her. I'm geting a Miata. I've been transformed. I've converted over. From that beautiful saturday afternoon, with it's beautiful clear blue skies and 70's wheather, filled with the smell of burnt rubber, clutch's, and brakes; driving that awesome little machine, I stand here today a changed man. I am not ashamed to say it, I am a Mazdasexual.

Thanks for hearing me out CF. :wink2:

-Adrian

posted by  elchango36

good move... good car. if you can afford it go for a mazdaspeed miata.

posted by  jaydez

Hey...I was in Chicago Sunday and Monday...how come I didn't hear about it? :ohcrap: lol.

They really do look like nice, well balanced cars...Congrats :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

You will NOT regret it. And anyone "joking" about a chick car or that they won't ride in it becaeu they're afraid of losing their manhood? F*ck 'em. You don't need to roll with clueless morons, anyhow.

posted by  ChrisV

that was a good read

I agree, the new ones look perfectly balanced (apparently they drive that way too)

I felt the steering wheel on one while the car was on carpet dollies and it is hard to discribe, it just seems to work so well

then again, I thought the same about the solstice too...

its a good choice, you might as well have fun while driving

posted by  nighthawk

Marketing wins again! :laughing:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with ChrisV, 'cept I'm no place to say you won't be disapointed, I have no clue lol

posted by  jedimario

Thanks guys. I won't be selling right away. I'm gonna wait untill I get my hand-me-down, and sell late spring/early summer. Then wait untill christmas time to buy the Miata.

posted by  elchango36

yea i was in a 95 (i think) convertible adn that shit was crazy. we were taking turns so fast, and the little thing moves. Just dont forget about snow. I dont know how much if any you get, but RWD and snow isnt a good combo. basically teh miata has the handling of a go-kart, with power. Im with the gang, and say that yuo will not regret your purchase

posted by  newyorker

Yep they're awesome. My friend just got a 99 miata and it's amazing. The engineering is great and I do love the new looks despite the added weight.

It's gonna be my next car :D

posted by  Bronxie

A friend of mine told me that one of his buddies said it was the best rwd car he's ever had as far as snow is concerned. It weighs nothing, and as long as it's not on R-compounds, I shouldn't have any problems. When the time comes, I'll have 2 sets of wheels and tires for her, Summer and Snow.:thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

Because an older man was selling a miata before I got my civic, and I asked him how it was as far as snow, and he told me "im going to be completely honest with you. this is not an all season car. i could never drive it in the snow thats why there are so few miles on it, it was just a weekend driver for me"

this was an older miata, but i cant imaging that changing much.

posted by  newyorker

I'm not too worried about it to tell you the truth. Besides, the Miata will most likely be a weekend car. I'll have a Camry as a DD.

posted by  elchango36

That's true love :D If i ad a Miata i would treat her with pure love, wash her every day. :D

btw. sounds nice with 2 girlfriends:wink2:

posted by  skuffelhjort

Get one!!! great car to have, my step dad had one! (hes american) and it sticks to the road at any speed, nippy etc! it was a great car, 1.8 litre it was, a 98 model in racing green!
id have one even if its considered a hairdressers car!!!

posted by  True_Brit

Really? Hmmm. I guess I musta have died driving my no-snow-tire-havin', RWD Jaguar:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adesso/jag_snow.jpg

I've driven RWD in the snow for decades without a problem. Rear engine, RWD was the best (VW Bugs, Porsche 911/912), but even cars like this were not an issue. The problem is LOW cars in tall snow becoming snow plows. But which end was driven isn't a major concern. Hell, my FWD SVT Contour was worse in the snow than any RWD car I've ever had...

posted by  ChrisV

You should see what you can do with one in autox and just in a parking lot. I'll make a video of my friend in his. What he did was better than half the crap videos I've seen.

Weight is the one thing I care about in cars, that's why I want a lotus!

posted by  Bronxie

RIght now I've got to worry about replacing some worn out bushings in my Civic if I want to get the most $$ out of her. I've been told the best time to buy a car is before and right after Christmas time.

posted by  elchango36

Yep. The demand is lower, and unlike most demand curves, when the supply is higher for cars and the demand is lower, prices will lower instead of rising.

posted by  Bronxie

So by that logic, I should sell in late spring early summer to get more money for my Civic, but wait for Christmas time to buy the Miata at a lower price (who in there right mind wants a raodster in the wintertime right?). Damn, I kind of want one now lol.:laughing:

posted by  elchango36

So who was it that wrote this thread? lol.....just wondering.....I get it, you're speaking in a third person perspective, lol. Great car, the MX-5, congrats!

posted by  Cliffy

Seems that everyone thinks it's nimble:

Jinba Ittai" or "Rider and horse as one" in Western terms - is the essence of the MX-5. Jinba Ittai drove all of the development team's decisions, yielding a car so nimble and fun to drive that the driver and car achieve true unity. This unified rider and horse concept allowed us to create a new MX-5 that's true to the spirit of the original, exceptionally lightweight, and lots of fun to drive.
-Mazda MX-5 program manager Takao Kijima

posted by  Wally

Mx-5's are great little cars :mrgreen:, But elchango stick with the honda's bro, drive an s2000 and then make your decision. :thumbs: :mrgreen: :hi:

posted by  GreekWarrior

I would prefer an s2k too but they're way over-priced, at least compared to a miata which offers excellent performance for about 50% less in sticker price. That's just fur a new one :\

Why did they discontinue the s2ks anyways? T

posted by  Bronxie

Not selling enough...But I heard it was coming back :hi: lol.

posted by  chris_knows

She returns in 07

posted by  newyorker

I'd love too, I just don't have that kind of money right now. :ohcrap: I can get a 2nd gen Miata for around $6k or a nice 1st gen for around $4k. According to my calculations, If I got the 1st gen I'd have enough money left over to start modding right away. Although I must say, I love the 2nd gen styling. :wink2:

posted by  elchango36

Nice choice, and as per the title, there is no need to explain. If someone calls it a chick car and is serious, then they don't know much about cars.

posted by  giant016

Agreed, although the title was more about my love for all things Honda and then this sudden shift to Zoom-Zoom rather than chick car or not.:wink2:

posted by  elchango36

There's a Mazda Miata by my house.. if I remember correctly it used to be a nice blue, but now it's like a canary yellow, with a road painted down each side (like wide pin-stripes), and says 'Zoom Zoom' on the back... and looks like painted stock wheels. I think it looks alittle funny, but I haven't seen anything but the rear (as it hasn't left the garage in awhile)..

posted by  car_crazy89

u know wat's the only complain i honestly have about the miata? i cant fit in it.... mazda should have considered people who were taller than 6 feet :ohcrap:

so the one time i got to drive one, i didnt enjoy it at all since i was practically driving with my knees (i could almost even shift with my knees).

posted by  Inygknok

LOL, You're taller than 6 feet?

posted by  elchango36

I got this far in the first post and for some inexplicable reason my thoughts wouldn't get past "isn't a Miata a girl's car?". :wink2:

posted by  Wally

LOL, you should go drive one. :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

Thanks, but I think I'll pass on this ocassion.:mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

Your Message