Question about rims (pics included)

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Question about rims (pics included)

As you can see below i have a 2001 Gallery Edition Toyota Camry... i was wondering if these 5-spoke 18" Italias would fit width wize, length wise, and depth wise.... I'm a newbie to wheels and tires... i specialize in electronics and sound

as far as ive read so far, i know AN 18" rim will fit on this car, im just not sure about this rim

here is the link to the info about the Italias... you need to hit the right arrow five times to get to the italias
http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?&autoMake=Toyota&aut oModel=Camry+LE&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=

I like to edit the rims in to see how they will look, so heres a possible before and after.... (reminding you the second is fictional)
http://www.intxclan.com/pubintxftp/Dawg/camry.jpg
http://www.intxclan.com/pubintxftp/Dawg/camry%20rims.jpg

posted by  j_dawg

1. If you simply use the Tire rack web site, it will tell you if the wheels fit your car or not. Took me about 2 minutes.

2. Why do you want to just install "rims" on your car? It would look so much better with the entire wheel installed along with some nice tires. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

sorry... i meant to ask if i could fit 18" ATI's on there... the tire rack website only goes up to 17"

and btw if I wanted a smartass comment, i would have asked for one

My way of shopping goes... 1. Find rims 2. Find tires that fit rims

The average smart person would make the inexpensive item dependant upon the expensive item
--- as far as I'm concerned, i don't want to buy a set of tires over $1000

My next question is... what is a good low profile set of tires (under $500) for these rims?

posted by  j_dawg

Oh, okay, I get it. If I'm the smartass that must make you the dumbass. It's all so clear now, especially when the "rim" question goes right over your head.

By the way, the average smart person would read the site and see that the wheel you're asking about is available in 16", 17", 18", 19", 20" and 22" diameters. That's straight of the website.

To answer your question, no. But then I wouldn't waste my money putting "rims", or 18" wheels for that matter, on a Camry. It's a fine car the way it is, why f*ck it up?

posted by  vwhobo

why wont 18's fit? i know i'm being an ass about 1"... but i would like to learn

other types of rims the are 18" in diameter will fit....

also my second question.... whats a good low profile tire to put on there (under $500)

posted by  j_dawg

You are not being nor have you been flamed. I responded to your question with the obvious answer and then asked you a question. You didn't like it because I hurt your precious feelings so I simply restated my first reply. I still answered your question, why can't you answer mine, or say thanks for the answer?

posted by  vwhobo

http://www.intxclan.com/pubintxftp/Dawg/camry%20rims.jpg
Can you say Ghetto Camry? You live in Compton, j_dawg?

(wb, vwhobo!)

posted by  BavarianWheels

thats fairly good photoshopping though. got the right wheel angle and everything. actually pretty smooth looking. still ghetto. :thumbs:

posted by  jmyers0341

ghetto's my style... no i don't live in compton... east side of chicago....

anyways.... can anyone answer my question about the 18's?

posted by  j_dawg

Why in the HELL would you do that to a car? :screwy:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Please... guys... if you don't know please don't respond

I'm not asking for your opinion on how it looks... I just want to know if the 18's can go on this car...and if so what size tire should i get?

posted by  j_dawg

You just don't get it, do ya. Let me try to make it REAL SIMPLE so you can understand. If the wheels you want fit your car, the Tire Rack web site would tell you. Let's try that again because it's pretty clear you're kind of slow. IF THE WHEELS YOU WANT FIT YOUR CAR, THE TIRE RACK WEB SITE WOULD TELL YOU.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe that wheel isn't made in an 18" with your bolt pattern? Maybe the offset is incorrect? Here's a thought. Why don't you pick up the phone and call their toll free number and ask them. Until you put forth at least as much effort as you expect us to, how about if you don't respond.

posted by  vwhobo

thanks for your time everyone

o and by the way VW fagboy... go to your favorite dependable tire rack website and check the max rimsize of the Italia's on the Camry LE (which is 17), then on the Camry XLE.... hmmm something is weird there isn't it.... hmm.. both cars are exactly identical except the XLE has more horsepower...

what a f***in dumbass

I never really have liked male vw bug drivers... f***in chick cars

posted by  j_dawg

It amazing. You finally figured out something on your own, after being told to use the web site how many times, and now you think you're a hero.

You made me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants. Somebody who drives a Camry, apparently the new ghetto car, calling a Bug a chicks car. Now you can add something else to your list of extrordinary lifetime accomplishments besides being able to "change the windshield wiper fluid". Making an ass out of yourself in public. Congratulations, you are the new Car Forums village idiot.

posted by  vwhobo

Now this is my 99 Camry CE... http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?&autoMake=Toyota&aut oModel=Camry+CE&autoYear=1999&autoModClar=

Lol!

posted by  StiMan

hmm... the great and powerful intraverted moderator still can't answer my question so... he flames me

gf

posted by  j_dawg

Actually ass boy, you've owed me an answer since post two but... I can't expect you to be smart enough to read now can I?

posted by  vwhobo

ok lets get mature about this... jeez

in answer to your question i would like to install rims and tires, but rims are a higher priority to me because they cost more... i don't know where you got the idea that i was just going to install rims

I'm sorry if you don't agree with the style, I'm sorry if you think I'm waisting my money, but could you please explain to me what the danger in putting an oversized rim on a car like this is???

posted by  j_dawg

In other words you don't have enough intelligence to answer a simple question. Remember, you have the right to remain silent. Unfortunately you don't seem to have the ability. Perhaps you should join a washer bottle refillers forum. :banghead:

By the way, the answer to your tire question is 225/40-18. Go ahead, ask me why I know and you don't.

posted by  vwhobo

Hmmm, editing your posts because you can't handle standing by your statements. What a surprise.

The question was, is and remains 'Why do you want to just install "rims" on your car? It would look so much better with the entire wheel installed along with some nice tires.' Well?

posted by  vwhobo

this is my last post in these forums... i found another forum where the moderators actually have dignity

when i edited my post your post wasn't up yet... usually the average person waits a couple of minutes before responding to a post... but your not the average person... im betting your an intraverted guy who sits around on his comp all day and flames forum nubies just so you can displace the anger that you have obtained from all the times that you have been rejected by women. :banghead:

posted by  j_dawg

1. In other words you have no clue and are blowing a smoke screen to cover that fact.

2. My question has been there for almost 24 hours, that should have been plenty of time to read it and respond.

3. This time I did pee my pants you made me laugh so hard. If you're going to try to use $10 words to make yourself look smarter, it helps when you spell them correctly. INTROVERTED. As for your other assertions, I can assure you that you would lose that bet. My friends, employees and beautiful wife seem to see a different person than you do. They all wonder why I waste my time trying to help idiots like you. Sometimes so do I.

posted by  vwhobo

The boy just don't get it. I'll bet he has all the women in Compton after him, cruising around in Grandpa's " chick getter ". Oh, and he can also use 215-45-18 tire . :doh:

posted by  lectroid

i lied... this is my last post

in support of my theories about males that drive VW bugs... does your wife happen to have a penis? :thumbs:

... just for statistical purposes only

posted by  j_dawg

No, just because your wife does, don't expect mine to. Next you'll be asking us how to work on your tranny.

posted by  vwhobo

ill have to give it to ya on that one... lmao :clap:

and thanks for those tire sizes... i just looked some up... either of those should work fine

posted by  j_dawg

i've never understood the thought behind loading huge rims onto a perfectly good car.. the visual impact is mixed, as some (like myself,) will find the car too over done. while others will think it looks 'awesome'.
the car looked fine with the first set, but as you said.. you had already decided on getting a new set.
i think you could have improved the suspension and brakes first,
either way..

posted by  Rhendrix

I agree with what you say in concept, but now let me transfer the question to you. Why would you (or anybody) want to install "rims" on a car when installing wheels will look so much better and be so much easier to do?

posted by  vwhobo

omg you hobo... "rims" is the slang term for wheels... im not trying to get hub caps and shit

... and in response to rhendrix... right now im not goin for speed... so when i get more money I'll work on the breaks and suspension

posted by  j_dawg

1. I thought you were leaving and never coming back. Couldn't even get that right could you.

2. "Rim" is a word, that when used in the context that you have, shows a simple lack of comprehension and a total lack of concern for accuracy. The definition of rim is;

"the outer part of a wheel to which the tire is attached"

3. What you are looking to buy for your car is a set of wheels. Without the entire wheel you have no way to attach the rim to the car.

4. I have to give you credit. It only took you two days and about a dozen posts to finally answer the question incorrectly.

5. What is broken that you need to fix it? Maybe when you're done with that you can work on your brakes. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

"Rims is slang for "wheels." Most of us who have been in the custom car business for decades can understand when someone sayds that immediately, even if we know the "proper" term is "wheel". Even wheel retailers and some manufacturers call them that. http://www.championtrailers.com/rims.html And often, the retailers (like Tire Rack) call the part that is technically the "rim" the "lip."

Of course, I can understand that when a British restorer is talking about affixing the wing on the car, he MEANS the front fender, not some airfoil device. I also know that when I say wrench, he will understand I mean spanner. And that I'm not talking about the folding top when I say "hood." We don't bitch back and forth saying "well that's not what we call it here."

Remember, a lot of "common" terms were salng at one time. Hot Rod is slang, but you know exactly what I mean when I say it without saying, "why don't you just say car?

Mind you, this is just a conversation, from a Devi'ls Advocate point of view, not a flame on you, vwhobo.

As to the question someone posed about why he would want to customize his car? Because he CAN. It's a fecking CAR. personalizing it with custom wheels, or paint, or whatever is part of the car hobby, and has been since day one. Putting custom wheels like those on a family sedan is NOT "ghetto." (And you'll notice no one bitched about THAT bit of slang...) Chrome 20" spinners might be, but polished 18" aren't.

Now, J dawg, they are right in that you could have done some rudimentary research on this. Tire Rack would have had that wheel on your car if it fit properly. Maybe there's a suspension reason that 18s in that style aren't available for that car. If that particular wheel size was available for that car, not just in that size, then they would list it as being available [i]for that car.[i] That's the logic that vwhobo was trying to get you to realize, and he DID state it clearly. You might be able to get a set to fit, but it won't fit right, or you'll have to do some other modifications to GET it to fit.

posted by  ChrisV

I understand what you're saying and even agree with most of it, but there is a problem with your analogy. First off comparing terms used in the UK that have a different name from what we call them in the US (boot/trunk, bonnet/hood, hood/roof, mole grip/vice grip, etc) to garbage terminology such as rims is faulty logic. The British simply use the same language differently than we do. As I'm sure you're aware they even spell some words differently from us also. Neither is right or wrong, it's just different.

Secondly, the term "Hot Rod" is a name that came about to describe something that really didn't exist before. Yes they were cars but they were a new, different, unusual (at the time) kind of car. That's like saying if I took a one car garage, expanded it to five bays, put in three lifts a paint booth and plumbed it for air, it's still a garage. Well no, it's now a shop.

Here is what is wrong with thinking that it's okay to change terminology from wheel to rim. First and foremost, there is already an existing word for the item and that word is wheel, or more correctly in most cases an alloy wheel which just happens to also be the correct terminology. That name has been with us for a long time so why change it now? What else are we going to rename so we can be a part of popular culture? It's my experience that people who use the term rim when they mean wheel have a lower level of education, are less articulate, have lower standards and expectations of themselves and are less likely to perform any task as well as someone who knows how to use a simple word the proper way. That comes from years of experience of hiring, firing, supervising and managing people. As I said in a previous post, it's now one of my litmus tests for hiring new personnel. Enough about that.

So by expecting a higher standard from these young people while they still have the opportunity to change their way of thinking, I might just be doing them a lifelong favor. And even if that's not the case, if I can get them to change at least in these forums, it saves me and others like me from having to read their ignorant interpetation of the English language.

posted by  vwhobo

I understand where you're coming from, as it's the same with the definitions of "sports car," "GT" and even "roadster." The Miata is called a roadster even though it has roll up side windows... The terms exist and have definitions. But common usage makes them have multiple words to define the same thing. Taken in the context of this hobby, however, "rim" is an OLD term that is well understood to mean "wheel" when used in this manner, and just "lip" when discussing things technically (as in 3 piece wheel with polished outer rim halves). It isn't just "ghetto slang" by young people, but by established industry pros. I linked to one example, but there are more...

The Tire and Rim Association:
http://www.us-tra.org/traMain.htm

The European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation
http://www.etrto.org/home.html

The Tyre and Rim Association of Australia
http://www.tirestyres.com/assn/traa.html

http://www2.northerntool.com/category/1527/

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/trailertires/

http://www.a1electric.com/links/rims-links.htm

http://www.ofna.com/wheels.html

http://www.arizonaautoloan.com/automotive-rims-hubcaps-tires.htm

I tried to staw away from the custom wheel retailers that call them rims, as they are generally selling to the crowd you are talking about. But the links above are not ghetto, and are common usage organizations and retailers.

posted by  ChrisV

On the first link you provide, ChrisV, there is a line that reads:

"TRA membership is limited to manufacturers of tires, rims and wheels and allied parts."

Question: Which is it? What is the difference between manufacturers of rims and manufacturers of wheels? Apparently there is a difference.

The difference here where I live is this. You can drive down the street in El Monte (a lower income community) and see tire shops advertising tires and "rims"...on the other hand, drive in a community like San Marino (third highest income community in America...read a few years back) and you'll not see tire shops, but a few gas stations with small adverts for wheel cleaning, one detail shop that advertises the same...wheel cleaning. It is not that one is "better" than the other, the point is that one is correct and one is "ghetto" because that's the common lingo. Similar to the "ghetto" word, axe'd vs. asked.

All you have to do is read a little bit of the organizations standards to realize that in the context they are using the word rim, it means just that, rim. They talk about the bead contour of the rim. If you'll notice, the first two are more oriented towards the aircraft industry, something I still know a little about. Don't forget that although I'm not actively working in it and haven't for a few years, I am still FAA A&P certified where the definition of wheel and rim is exactly the same as I have described many times before. And I should further note that the tire bead does in fact seat on the rim. The lip is the exposed edge of the rim which is nothing more than the outer edge of the wheel.

As for places like Northern, etc, you can't be serious, can you? If you include them on your list of established industry pros, we have serious differences of opinion. Let me paraphrase an old saying that pretty well sums this up. A wheel by any other name is still a wheel.

posted by  vwhobo

Yes, that is where I said, they get technically specific. But they also use "rim" as the whole assembly that supports the tire, which we call the "wheel." In broader terms, wheel is also corrently referring to the whole assembly, with the tire being one component, as in Merriam Webster's dictionary definition:

http://www.m-w.com/mw/art/wheel.gif
wheel 1: 1 hub, 2 spoke, 3 felly, 4 tire

And when discussing other of the organizations, you'll note that Speedline is a full RIM member of the European organisation. But Speedline makes wheels? Or are just the outer lips covered under their organisational membership?

The point is, the terms are, and have been, interchangeable around the world for many, many decades. if any of the organizations had e-mail addys posted, I'd definitley ask them how the terms are used, and if they are interchangeable or not in most cases.

I include them because they are NOT selling 20" chrome "rims" to ghetto buyers, like others (Victoria Tire comes to mind). They are selling them to people who are not using the term as modern ghetto slang, but as a legitimate name for the product. YOUR contention is that it is only ignorant kids using the term. I can prove that's not the case, and it's being used in actual business publications by people who, if that was NOT the established name for them, would not USE it.

Again, the point is that the term "rim" is common useage" for "wheel" in many places, and not, apparently, through ghetto ignorance.

posted by  ChrisV

Maybe so...but common only as a result of ignorance and/or to appeal to the people that place a high regard on putting "rims" on their ghetto machines.

Again, it is like saying, "axe'd" vs. asked..."can you borrow me some..." vs. would you LEND me... It's the "I don't care" mentality. So what if the correct term is...I use... That is the "big deal."

You need to get over the word ghetto. I didn't and haven't used it in that context so save it for another conversation. If you took the time to read my point instead of only being concerned with shoving your point down everyones throat, just because something is common usage doesn't make it correct.

Where I live the common term for a black person starts with an 'n'. Where I live the common term for me is 'yankee'. Where I live the common term for someone who races autocross is 'pussy boy'. Just because the terms are commonly used doesn't make them correct or proper, it just means that ignorant people use them and there are plenty of ignorant people out there.

If you choose to use the incorrect terminology of rim when you mean wheel (although I don't recall ever seeing you do so), that is entirely your prerogotive. However, if you or anyone else uses it and I call them on it that is entirely my prerogotive.

posted by  vwhobo

It was/is me...

No, but I'm having a conversation with EVERYONE that has said this here. look directly above you at BavarianWheels's post. Again, if you can't get my meaning because a word is out of place to you, YOU are the one with the comprehension problem and a rather LARGE stick up your ass.

Takes one to know one, doesn't it? I forgot, that's YOUR schtick here, shoving your point down everyones's throat (it's exactly what you were doing for the first two pages to J dawg, but I guess, since YOU were doing it to someone ELSE, it's OK...)

In many cases, it does. I was pointing out how this particular instance is one that has existed as common usage for a lot longer than "ignorant kids wanting to put 20" 'rims' on their car."

think about this? If someone says that VW drag car is bad ass, you don't immediately ask how teh definitions of bad or ass together describe teh car, right? The term "cool" came to it's present set of meanings through "common usage" and it had nothing to do with temperature. This use of cool only really caught on in the 1930s, but is still common, and you don't question it, do you? It's how language works, daddy-o.

And on an international forum based on public responses to statements, it's also my perogative to point out where you're being an ass for no reason other than that you can be. In this case, when someone wants to put on custom "rims" on his car, it's easily understood what he means by anyone familiar with the industry/hobby. Just like when I say "that's cool" it's easy to see that I don't mean that it has a low surface temperature.

posted by  ChrisV

I guess you wouldn't correct your child if he/she used the word, "rim"...or if he/she started using ghetto slang such as "axe'd"

You (ChrisV) keep using words that are adjectives. Hot rod defines the type of car...whereas you wouldn't call a car an airplane would you? You may call a car a "boat" but in relation to it's size and not it's ability to float. Of course we could be talking about amphibious cars...and you still wouldn't call it a boat. A "rim" when used in context of the wheel is completely wrong. It may be understood as the wheel, but the understanding and the correct use are in contrast.

You (ChrisV) are definitely playing a part in promoting the "Dumbing Down of America"...you must be proud of the ignorance in today's youth.

You (ChrisV) don't acknowledge my points on this and that's ok...but remember when you speak in these terms...take a look at the crowd you are in...you may be standing in close proximity to South Central L.A. and shaking in your boots because you are about to be mugged.

Sorry Ace, you seem to be the one with the thinking problem. You quoted me in your post, no one else. That infers that you are speaking to and/or about me. By the way, why is it always so fascinating for you to think about things up peoples asses? They have web sites for that you know. Nevermind.

Guilty as charged with extenuating circumstances. I was only trying to get someone to use the English language in the proper manner. You just want to prove a point, any point so you can be right.

Once again you're making me responsible for something that someone else said. Don't you think that's just a little unfair, or would it shatter your ego to admit that it is?

Once again you got me. You're so much cooler than I am because you appreciate the use of ebonics. But you're still comparing apples and oranges. A wheel is a wheel and a rim is a rim, but they are not the same thing, never have been, never will be. You don't have to like it, you don't have to understand it, you just have to accept it.

Let's try this for an analogy. I know you're a fairly educated person and don't like it when people are to stupid or lazy to spell words properly (I'm not talking about occasional typos like you and I both make). Those people defend their practice because it's quick, cool, easier, etc, take your pick. This is exactly the same thing in a different form. By accepting it instead of trying to fix it, you are pandering to the lowest common denominator and contributing to the dumbing down of America. I cannot and will not support that.

My meaning would also be well understood on an international forum if I told you to go f*ck your mother. The point is that just because people know what I'm trying to convey it still doesn't make it right. This time think about it before you respond.

posted by  vwhobo

Isn't 'axed' just said by people because they can't say 'asked', just like people say 'nukiller' instead of 'nuclear'?

posted by  snoopewite

OMG look what I've started

Guys... I'm sorry I didn't use the correct termanology for the word wheel. But the point is... *whips out Ebonics/English dictionary ... different cultures use different terms for different things

VWhobo, If i say " Man that car is freakin wicked sick" i meant " wow i really like the impressionable body work on that vehicle"

Where I'm from... we say rims unless we're up close and analyzing the wheel

Where your from... (Probably something similar to an Amish community) you say the proper English term "Wheel"

ChrisV, yeah I know i could easily get the answers from Tire Rack, but I always want to learn more than what the, payed on commission, retailer says... so i asked you people who seem to know your way around buying these things...

posted by  j_dawg

Now all of these guys are ok with the term "rim"... after taking so much shit from vwhobo i went to a different forum to check out what they would say

http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=35946

vwhobo it seems like ur the only guy who has a problem with the word rim

posted by  j_dawg

That looks like the gayest forum site I have ever seen! :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

well lets see... hmm... they have over 40,000 threads and you have... hmm... less than 1000

speak for yourself man

posted by  j_dawg

Back to 3rd grade English:

First off...you and mr ChrisV are missing the point. As vwhobo mentioned, you are comparing apples and oranges. "Man that car is freakin wicked sick" is a statement describing a car. It is describing it and not defining what "it" is...the definition of it is that it is a car...the description is that it is 'wicked sick'. The difference is a noun vs. an adjective. The correct term for the object is 'car' or 'wheel'. It is not 'airplane' or 'rim'.

To accept the use of "rim" when actually speaking of a wheel is wrong as the object being spoken of IS NOT a rim. A rim is part of the wheel, but not the whole of it.

Just because the ebonic crowd refuses to educate themselves is not reason to "condone" or support something that is basic in knowledge. In other words, just because everyone else is doing it does it make it right.

Absolutely wrong. This type of speech is taught from listening to speech patterns and not a result of inability to speak properly nor is it taught in schools (I'm sure there are few exceptions). Why is it that people that come from the inner city and get an education do not speak in "ebonics" unless they are with their homies? Probably because such speech patterns place you exactly where you should be...in the ghetto.

Again...another example of following the crowd and not caring to learn what is right.

So let me see if I've got this right. Using your line of thinking, if I got a bunch of people in a room who called all Camry drivers faggots, then it would be okay with you to be called a faggot. Is that right, because that's what you're saying? No, I think you know you're wrong but by displaying the ignorance of others you hope it will cover your own. Sorry, doesn't work.

By the way, I just noticed on the highly intellectual site you linked us to one of the brain surgeons mentioned something about his wheel wells. Why don't you go tell him he's incorrect because from now on they're called rim wells. I don't think it'll get a thumbs up.

1. If the other site is so wonderful, by all means go grace them with your presence. If it's so much better there than knock yourself out. You've already said more than once that you're leaving here anyway.

2. If you're going to make statements, at least make true statements. They have just over 32k posts and we have just over 2k posts. But then we all know that quantity does not equal quality.

posted by  vwhobo

Dude! (If you are) Who gives a sh*t about posts? The colors are gay, the names are gay, it is so stupid! You would learn more about cars by listening, instead of argueing, with vwhobo and others than you would with the f*gs on that other site...

posted by  StiMan

I just finished waxing my car, now I have much more patience.

you were right, I was wrong

WOOT!!! We hit four pages of discussion on my very first post in this entire forum. :thumbs:

Posting pictures always seems to inspire people to respond...

Sorry for arguing so much... I still want to post in this forum because my knowledge of cars is still limited.

posted by  j_dawg

Something tells me it wasn't the pics... :roll:

lol... i can't imagine what it might have been

posted by  j_dawg

The funniest thing about this situation is that you have now turned against the person who was trying to defend you. Imagine how foolish he'll feel, or should feel, when he reads this.

Now about that help for your tranny... :laughing:

posted by  vwhobo

oh well i just figured... who gives a shit what its called? :banghead:

i say tomato, you say... well... you know how it goes

posted by  j_dawg

Yes, I say toma-ar-to lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

VWhobo if I would have known that you were over 40 like 20 posts ago....

I think people start to get anal right around 40... this explains everything

posted by  j_dawg

You say anal, I say correct. Dealing with ignorance has never been a strong suit for me. I'm actually much better than I used to be because online I can't reach out and touch someone, if you know what I mean.

posted by  vwhobo

LMAO... just like my dad

posted by  j_dawg

was that meant to be an insult or a compliment?

well this forum certainly is entertaining... but the health risks seem a bit high :laughing:

posted by  Rhendrix

I could go both ways, but its more of a compliment

posted by  j_dawg

That would be because we were ARGUEING WITH YOU THE WHOLE TIME! :banghead:

posted by  StiMan

I would have to say that j_dawg dropped the ball on this one and ChrisV embraced the "argument."

j_dawg just chimed in a few agreements... :laughing:

yes, yes keep arguing about things... I'll try to set the record for longest thread started by the first post of a new member!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

posted by  j_dawg

To be honest, I was playing Devil's Advocate about a common term, not agreeing with J dawg. I still completely agree with vwhobo that he should have at least done some rudimentary research about what fits before coming here, as the resources exist and are easy to use. And it should have been blatantly obvious what vwhobo meant when he said that if Tire Rack had it for that car, it would have been listed in that size for that car...

posted by  ChrisV

No, you missed the point. I was showing where it was NOT just the "ebonics" crowd that used the term in that manner. Go to any boat/travel/utility trailer store in the country, and the term is in printed descriptions of the product. Sorry, but contrary to vwhobo's opinion, those associations I mentioned DO use rim and wheel interchangeably for a generic term. You can e-mail them for confirmation. it's not Ebonics.

And also, as I pointed out from the dictionary, the tire is technically part of the wheel, too. So here you're saying "rim" is only part of the wheel, but the "tire" is separate, when in fact the tire is part of a dictionary defined "wheel". So, according to the dictionary, if you say "wheel and tire" you're being redundant. But we take common useage to mean that wheel is just the metal/wood part (depending on year) and tire is the rubber part separate from the wheel. It's not technically accurate, but as common slang useage, we know what we mean when we say it. Same for "rims." We know what's meant used in this context.

Going by a dictionary definition, it's just as wrong to call JUST the metal part a "wheel," as it is to call the whole metal part a "rim."

posted by  ChrisV

No, he didn't.

This is the technical part we were discussing, and I never disagreed with.

This part is actually talking about the WHOLE structure, and notice that it says "wheel tire" with no other punctuation? Why would that be? Because, according to the dictionary, the tire is part of the wheel. If you want to hold to dictionary definitions, then we need to say that calling JUST the metal part a "wheel" is also wrong. But I don't think you're going to stop calling the metal part a "wheel" just because the dictionary includes the tire as part of the definition of a "wheel."

Again, we know what you mean when you say "wheel," even though it doesn't match the dictionary definition. It's common useage to mean just the metal part of the wheel. Just like it's easy to know what someone means when using "rims" in this context, even though it doesn't match your definition.

posted by  ChrisV

ChrisV = My newest friend :hi:

6 pages here we come!!!

posted by  j_dawg

It is your right as a citizen of the United States of America to have your opinion and to voice it, no matter how wrong or misguided it may be. While you're using the posted definition of wheel, you should have read it and then confirmed it. You would have found that there is a typographical error. Check the links below and yell me if any of the are worded the same way (A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted). That is the definition that you are using to base your argument on.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=rim

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?re fid=1861702827

http://www.wordsmyth.net/live/home.php?script=search&matchent=rim&matchtype =exact

http://www.infoplease.com/ipd/A0628091.html

http://www.allwords.com/query.php?SearchType=3&Keyword=rim&goquery=Find+it% 21&Language=ENG

I can supply ten or so more but I think you get the point, unless you are here to simply argue. In that case, nothing anyone says will satisfy you. I know plenty of people who don't let the facts get in the way of their need to be right, and you're proving yourself to be one of them. I would ask for comments but I'm sure we have no choice in the matter. Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

He he he.. You said anal and touch someone...:hi: :screwy: Yes, i do think i know what you mean... :orglaugh: :joking: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

At least I didn't say them in the same sentence like you did. You blokes worry me sometimes. :mrgreen:

posted by  vwhobo

I only did it because i'm lead by your example... :hi: BTW, where did you dissappear to if you don't mind my asking? :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

I have a question: vwhobo why arent you a mod anymore? Second to J-Dawg: You cant surpase the number of posts and pages made by my arguements and such when I first joined...i even got put on probation for it...you cant beat the shear numbers...

posted by  StiMan

It's pretty messed up you call him a fag and your the one with the ghetto rims on that car. Duuuude :screwy:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Ooo...he just got TOLD!

posted by  StiMan

Theres a distinct lack of pimp slapping going on.. :screwy:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s23/smilies-34498.png

posted by  SuperJew

Woohoo..!! Long live the King... :smoke: (of pimp slapping...! :hi: )

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

umm mister dodgerida67... if your going to post in this thread, please use the correctly terms for parts of cars (ie: wheels)

second, the "ghetto rims" are not yet on the car, as a matter of fact I haven't bought them yet... its called Adobe Photoshop :banghead:

and third... that part of the thread died last week

would you like a cookie? :clap:

posted by  j_dawg

OMG Lectroid your signature is freakin sweet :thumbs:

posted by  j_dawg

Leave him alone...

posted by  StiMan

ok :oops:

posted by  j_dawg

Hey I thought you had posted your last...about 40 posts ago! :banghead: :screwy: :doh:

posted by  StiMan

yeah me too :banghead: :screwy: :doh:

posted by  j_dawg

Your Message