Know anything about 97 Kia Sportage?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Know anything about 97 Kia Sportage?

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Kia Sportages? I found a 97 with 92k miles, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive in almost perfect condition for a great price. My mom has an 02 Sedona and my aunt has an 05 Spectra 5 and they both love those, but being early in the Kia lifecycle here I didn't know if the 97 Sportages were all that great.

I've been looking around and I find a lot of complaints but the problems are mostly that is has road noise, is small, and some electrical problems? It's also a hit or miss. Yeah, there are a lot of complaints, but then I also find a lot of people who love them. Any advice, b/c I am really interested in the car, but don't want to buy into a piece of crap.

posted by  Nickboxer7

You're obviously going to have more road noise given the age of the vehicle, and it's intended purpose (soft roading!), mainly due to the large, more rugged tyres that are fitted as standard. The only other downside is probably build quality, everything is gonna be plasticky and chances are there'll be a few rattles in and about the cabin. If the price is right (which is? out of curiosity), I'd msay give it a road test and see what you think!

posted by  Cliffy

They want $1200. I have a 94 Civic DX hatch right now so I know a little about road noise and plasticy LOL. My car rattles quite a bit so it will probably be an upgrade. I'm just concerned about engine quality more than that stuff, b/c I need a reliable car to get to school everyday (which is mostly freeway).

posted by  Nickboxer7

$1200 seems like a great price. The Engines on this model year of Kia obviously isn't on a par with that of a new car, but chances are it's an 8 or 12-valve unit, probably from a Mitsubishi? Either way, they're more than capable of higher mileages! I say go for it! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Thanks Cliffy. If I can get ahold of the person I'll go take it for a test drive.

BTW, you seem pretty smart, have you ever heard of http://www.affordableautomobile.com/

It seems like an easy way to get access to repos and auctions, but I'm not an expert at things like that, so I dont know.

posted by  Nickboxer7

Smart? that's a first, lol. I've seen that site before but never paid much attention to it before today. Visiting any car auction is a good way to find a cheap car, especially an ex-Government or siezed car auction, as the cars are usually maintained regardless of cost (ex-Gov cars), or have come directlt from the authorities (siezed vehicles) and as such you know their histories!

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message