Prelude Owners

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Prelude Owners

I have to admit you guys have convinced me into looking into a prelude again. What is the best prelude to get if you are looking into getting around 240hp? I really dont want to go FI because I dont have the money to get a good turbo kit. So if I end up getting a prelude what are some of the first mods I should get besdies i/h/e?

posted by  phoshiz

i have a friend who got an extra 20 hp. right off the bat when he put in some forged pistons, but it wasn't a prelude, and i've never done that myself, so i don't know how long it would take, how expenseve, etc.

posted by  AndersonBraun

A prelude is a terrible car for building upon mainly due to little to none aftermarket support. A N/A 240HP prelude is not very reasonable. FI is about the only way.

I have and love the 3rd generation preludes which run from '88-'91 especially the ones with 4WS. They're a dream to drive. A good motor for them is the B20A5. The B21A1 motors have general blow-by issues due to FRM sleeves in the cylinders at fairly low mileages. B20A5's put out about 135 HP in their stock form.

posted by  67Coronet383

You want the 4th gen Type S VTEC model. It's the only pre-5th gen to have DOHC and VTEC motor(H22A). That motor has been proven time and time again to be great for BOOST. Honestly, you won't get 50hp without some serious N/A work, which=$$. FI is the way to go. 250hp is easy to get out of the H22, low boost will yield those numbers. You could always spray, just remember that the bottle's not supposed to be on all the time.

posted by  elchango36

3rd gens were the first to get DOHC.

posted by  67Coronet383

Indeed, but they were non-VTEC. The Prelude didn't get a DOHC VTEC package deal untill the 4th gen (which for some odd reason the Si didn't get the NSX technology). :wink2:

posted by  elchango36

So you meant dohc WITH vtec. Alright, gotcha.

posted by  67Coronet383

Unless you throw the in a swap or just the b16 head.

posted by  Spanky2324

You can't, the B20A and B21A can't share parts with the rest of the B series family. Although I think you could mate the H22 head (VTEC) on the H23 block (Although I'm not sure since I've never heard of this setup before).

posted by  elchango36

It's been done bro. I thought about throwin in a H22a or a B18c but imma just keep in my B20a.

posted by  Spanky2324

http://www.orlyowl.com/orly.jpg

I heard that it's either not doable or not worth it.

posted by  elchango36

It is doable, and fairly easy at that. However...no, it's not worth it. Unless you plan on using the h22 to do a good deal of building upon. Just sticking in a stock h22 or close to it isn't worth it at all.

posted by  67Coronet383

Your Message