93 eclipse GS for 2400

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  93 eclipse GS for 2400

i found a 93 eclipse GS for 2400 but blue book is 1700 nice car fair condition 5 speed manual conversion alloy rims from a 94 interieor is clean and free from odor and fading engine replaced and has 80000 miles on the new engine might be less i dont know but its less than 80000 mi 1.8 DOHC 4cyl shifts preety good but is a little jerky at times new sterieo with 1 10in sub functional with a 400 watt amp and the driver side front strut is loose but owner will tighten. previous owner was a mitsubishi mechanic so the matinence records are up to date. i was wondering if its classified by insurance companies if its a sports car or not and if 1700 to 2000 is a good deal for this car and any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

posted by  nate wesselink

Some insurance companies classify it as a sports coupe or sports car. In my honest opinion, I would never pay anything more than 1600 for a GS of that year. Unless it was in immaculate condition. Then again I would probably never buy a GS. Check that 5-speed conversion. I've seen a lot of botch jobs on these cars.

posted by  DSMer

its good it was done by a certified mitubishi mechanic and the new engine was originally manual so everything was done right. he said hed go to 1700 if i threw in my ford pos and it has a aftermarket sterio system in it a $150 cd player and a 200 watt amp with 3 10 in subs so ill give him some leway for that so im going to see if he will go down to 1500 or 1600 but overall its a decent car for that price plus he did it 9 years ago and its still workin

posted by  nate wesselink

Rule of thumb and always remember this when buying modified car.

I don't give a shit if he has 200lbs of solid gold in the back of the car. You don't pay someone for their mods. If its that big of a deal, tell him to take his $150 cd player, amps and subs out the car and sell it on his own. He'll respectfully decline because its not worth the time and he won't be able to sell it for that much ;so why should you have to pay that much for it? If it were that big of a deal to him it wouldn't be in the car to begin with.

I'm ridiculously sick of people selling cars for more than they are realistically worth because THEY decided to buy an intake, exhaust, cams, sound system, turbo, etc.... Unless you're dealing with a classic car restoration. You're not going to get ALL the money you put into a car.

Modifications generally don't add value to the car. Especially if you don't have proper documentation for it. If anything they decrease the value. That just brings up more questioning as to who installed the mod and how properly it was installed. You're surely not going to pay sound shop prices for a sound system that was probably bought for cheap and installed by some maverick electrician?

Let him know that you're interested in the car, not his audio equipment. Then negotiate from there. Unless you want the audio system.

posted by  DSMer

I agree, I've heard people say all too often "Hang on, I've put X amount into my car, I want that money back!" where in realisty, it doesn't work like that at all, unless, as you say, we're talking about a classic car!

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message