01 Honda Civic EX; Intake ?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  01 Honda Civic EX; Intake ?

I was looking around ebay for a cool air intake for my newly purchased 01 honda civic ex. Has anyone had exp. purchasing intakes from ebay? I guess what im asking is, are they reliable, quality products?

posted by  01civicEX_Curt

It depends on who you buy from and on the intake itself. There are some fake ones that don't benefit your engine, but others that do...Just check the feedback people have given.

posted by  chris_knows

I don't understand how you can have a "fake" intake. The ones you get off eBay will be fine. Its essentially a pipe with with an air filter on it. You could pay $200 for a shiny AEM unit that boast performance numbers or you can buy the same thing for about $40 thats just as shiny and get a nice K&N filter for $20.

Read this (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7579) and that should sum it up.

posted by  DSMer

Not a fake intake, but one that won't benefit the engine...Like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-HONDA-ACCORD-LX-EX-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-W- FILTER-91-92_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ020QQitemZ300056527961QQr dZ1) one...

I don't think this (CAI):
http://images.andale.com/f2/127/115/13396688/1151426739146_AFCACD90.jpg

or this:

http://www.autogrimmig.com/catalog/69-1040TR1.jpg

Will give any more power than this (OEM):
http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY_2000/Accord_V6_Air_Intake/accordv6inta ke1.jpg

posted by  chris_knows

Those will do the same thing others will do... Its better than stock. But its really not a big deal. If u wanted to u can get a pipe from home depot, bend it, add a filter and you would have an intake. All do the same thing, dont waste money on name brand intakes.Some of the auctions include good air filters but most dont. When i bought mine, i got a good air filter. ( not the paper ones) I was going to get the K&N one but this one is just as good.

Also decide between Cold Air intake or Short Ram intake... If you choose CAI, make sure not to get any water in it. There was a lot of rain one night, and one of my friends with an s2000 got some rain in the CAI...that hydrolocked the engine.

posted by  V-Tec

Then maybe you're better off not thinking.
:laughing:

posted by  Pythias

In the stock intake, I think the filter is the most restrictive part...So a new K&N air filter on the stock intake should make more power than an entire CAI (Of the ones pictured above)...Right?

posted by  chris_knows

Oh so you don't think that big black box COVERING the air filter isn't a restriction? Nor do you think the actualy stock intake tube itself not being totally straight restricts some amount of airflow as well?

posted by  Pythias

I guess you're right...it just seems like that the CAI is more restrictive.

posted by  chris_knows

No he IS right. I just don't see where you would get the idea that a cold air intake is somehow more restrictive than a stock air unit?

posted by  DSMer

I dunno, I thought there were some on eBay that did like loop-de-loops and stuff lol.

posted by  chris_knows

I'm sure there are too.... but what you posted wasn't one of them.

posted by  Pythias

I found one for my boxster and I think the price says it's a POS but I have no way of telling. And yes I read your topic DSMer.

http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=141376

Mind you, this is the ONLY one I've been able to find for a 987.

It shows a tube and all, but look at the pic, it says, "utilizes OEM air feed pipe..."

I can't tell if this is garbage or not. Price seems low for porsche parts, especially one presumably made in low volumes, considering there are not a lot of 987s on the road.

posted by  Bronxie

an intake will do near nothing for your car...swap/spray/boost

posted by  NYCer

F*ck that, he should just get a Gallardo:screwy: . A swap, nitrous setup, or a turbo are big projects that cost big bucks compared to an intake. You're more or less are telling somebody to get a telescope instead of glasses.

posted by  giant016

It is a pipe with an airfilter on the end. As long as all the proper sensors and hoses connect to the tube then you'll be fine. Provided that it is installed correctly. I don't care if you drive a Civic or a Pagani Zonda. Its an intake, and you can't engineering a pipe with a air filter any moreso than it has allready been done.

If you pay $200+ bucks for any basic unit then you are just ripping yourself off. Intakes don't provide a vast ammount of performance gain, so this shouldn't be an area that you are greatly focusing on.

posted by  DSMer

Yeah this product is definitely questionable and looks like a piece of junk, as most intakes probably are.

I am just gonna buy the fabspeed maxflo muffler and maxflo headers

http://www.fabspeed.com/cayman.html

posted by  Bronxie

Don't spread misinformation that you are have no proof to validate. You simply just do not know what you are talking about. Wich is exactly how comapnies like Fabspeed can get you to buy headers that cost $1500+. Not that they are not good headers, they just are not made out of $1500 T304 stainless steel.

My father has owned quite a few Porshce's and is actually looking to buy a Boxter S. Never once has he bought some fancy, polished exhaust from a company. Why? Because he's a Master Mechanic and he knows better. He had them built or built them himself and posted similiar or even better performance numbers.

Most intakes are not "pieces of junk". They all do the same thing, regardless to if your intake is made of stainless steel or pvc. It's a tube that allows air to be filtered into the engine. If you want to debate the quality of the filter that is a different story. Spend good money on filters, not in the tube itself.

posted by  DSMer

just go get a custom exhaust made for your car... it will cost less than $300. The intake shouldn't cost more than 50 with filter shouldn't cost more than $50. It's not like you are going to gain 20hp or anything.. Maybe a 1 whp gain.

posted by  V-Tec

Look, I know it's not WORTH 1500. I also know that it's one of the only ones available for a 987 and that they charge a huge premium for the fact that A. it's a porsche and B. they probably don't sell a ton of them to make up for their input costs, since there aren't tons of 987 owners and especially not many that want to do any modding.

As for the intake, I meant the amount of money I'd be spending for the product, which really doesn't do anything since it uses my current intake, is not worth it.

As for getting a custom one made, I didn't know you could do that without spending tons of $$. I'm not looking to spend tons.

I'm looking for somewhere between a 5-10hp gain and even with 10 I know I would be pushing it.

posted by  Bronxie

It's WORTh what someone is willing to pay for it. Just because YOU wouldn't pay that much for it doesn't mean that it isn't WORTH 1500$ to anyone, it just isn't to you. For someone who might own one of those cars, and not be capable of fabricating one themselves, this system may be worth it to them.

...However I don't see how the tip below it is worth 500% to anyone. I mean come one, 500$ for a polished tip?

posted by  Pythias

If you dont believe me, go to 7thgencivic dot com, and ask them see what thety say.:thumbs:

posted by  NYCer

What are you saying? That an intake won't benefit the car as much as a turbo or nitrous? Yeah, everyone knows that. However, they're not even close to being in the same price range. Also, it is comlete overkill for what he suggests he wants. Hence my "You're telling a man who needs glasses to get a telescope" comment.

posted by  giant016

The Boxster (or 987 as you like to call it) is built on the same platform as the Cayman and those have been selling like hotcakes. They have even outsold the Boxster, which has probably been their number one selling car. I'd like to believe that quite a few people are driving them and modifying them.

I don't understand what this means. If you buy an intake, it eliminates the factory intake box. If you buy a better, larger filter it gives more surface space to induct air. I think you may be confused.

Where do you think Fabspeed got the idea to make parts for exotic cars? Its cheaper to do these things from raw materials if you posses the skills. I highly doubt any exhaust shop would charge you $1500 for a custom exhaust on your Boxster. It wouldn't require any more complicated work than say... a Mustang. In fact the pipes would be significantly shorter.

Which is exactly why you shouldn't shell out $2000 for 10HP when you can get it for $500. Speed isn't cheap, but there is a point in time where it becomes to expensive for the amount of power gain.

I agree, but its a Porsche and obviously a lot of Porsche owners are stupid enough to pay those ridiculous prices for something that simple. Like you said, its not what is worth to one informed intelligent person. Its what its worth to everyone who owns the car, including people who don't know any better.

posted by  DSMer

DSMer, you're wrong. They have been selling well but that doesn't mean they sell "like crazy" like civics do or 350z's do, so there probably ISN'T an aftermarket for them anywhere, and I can personally attest to this since I have literally looked everywhere for specific parts for these cars and come up with hardly anything. There is a pretty nice market for 986s, however.

I call it a 987 to distinguish it from the 986 and I know it is the same platform as the cayman which is ALSO a 987 (go figure).

As for the intake, it doesn't seem worth it. Period. How else can I put it? I want to spend my money effectively to gain the most benefits from my costs, that's all, and there is no way to tell how credible this company is, let alone their products.

I didn't know places would make custom exhausts for you that were effective, (meaning better than OEM) that's all.

PYTHIAS: No shit it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I am referring to the input cost proportionate to the selling cost. Their input cost was probably nowhere near 1500 bucks, which essentially means the consumer is getting ripped off, like a lot of things in life. Think about CDs for examples...

posted by  Bronxie

Well now, we didn't say that at first now did we?

posted by  Pythias

Didn't think it was necessary :mrgreen:

posted by  Bronxie

lol :PP So how many miles you got on it yet? Taken any turns at excessive speeds?

Also some mods can void warranties, you wouldn't want that.

posted by  Pythias

2200 miles already.

Turns at excessive speeds...yep, this thing can handle.

I haven't gone faster than 98 yet. Haven't had the opportunity to.

I know mods can void warranties. Credible companies make sure their parts do not void warranties.

I will check the warranty for details before I buy anything, though.

posted by  Bronxie

Thats not exactly true.... any kind of aftermarket modification can possibly void a warranty, regardless of the companies credibility or not. I have a friend who had to wait quite sometime before buying anything for his 05 Mustang Gt, because of the warranty he had and how it was scripted, not because there was not one credible company out there with a nice catback exhaust, it depends on the warranty, not the company's credibility at all.

posted by  Pythias

Your warranty can only be voided for few reasons. Most of the time it is just your warranty claim that has been denied. The rest of your warranty still remains in effect. Just because you put an exhaust on your car does not mean they won't replace your transmission if it goes faulty. It would have to be PROVEN, that said modifications caused unnecessary abuse to the part. Anyone who tells you your transmission broke because you put an exhaust or intake on your car and they won't cover it should promptly be reported to the proper agency.

Companies who have enough money to appease the larger corporations that make vehicles produce products that do not void warranties. These companies are normally directly associated with said automobile manufacturer.

posted by  DSMer

Dang DSMer beat me to it. ^

This isnt always good advice DSMer sometimes it is neccesary to spend some money on the "tube" also . Nowadays alot of CAIs, especially for imports, are just as you say a "tube" but some cars where space is tight or for other reasons sometimes these "tube" intakes arent the best option but intakes that have been optimized for the bends in the intake tract and space availabe are better.
For Example LT1 F-body.
this intake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-Camaro-Z28-Trans-Am-LT1-5-7L-V8-Cold-Air -Intake_W0QQitemZ140056237593QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1 VQQcmdZViewItem
will be outperformed by this intake. And they both have K&N filters
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-FIPK-Air-Intake-Chevy-Camaro-Z28-V8-93-9 4-95-96-97_W0QQitemZ110067922376QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think sometimes it is neccesary to spend a lil extra money for better quality parts and peace of mind, but this is not to be confused with wastelessly and ignorantly spending money.

posted by  Enthusiast

I meant the credible companies will disclaim that this product does not void warranty, and if it does, then I am protected under the statute of fraud under at least 2 different accounts.

I found this performance upgrade on

http://www.imagineauto.com/boxster02.htm

That gives an ECU flash and an intake for 1400, which sounds like it's excessive for what they're actually doing. On top of that, I have to physically send them my ECU. At least I know an ECU upgrade will get me guaranteed power gains, but I don't know if it's worth it for a mere software job.

I tried to find places that make custom exhaust systems but most places that say "custom exhaust" don't actually make them, they just HAVE them in stock.

Appreciate everyones' help.

posted by  Bronxie

The power gain between those two are so negligent its not really that big of a deal. Unless the intake tubing itself is that absurdly designed, then its not going to impact the performance greatly. I'm not debating extra money for quality parts and performance, but spending absurd amounts of money on an intake is a waste.

Save the money for where it counts, because from a financial standpoint it doesn't make much sense to spend $250 for an intake that will give you 5HP vs a $60 intake that will give you 3HP. If you can't have peace of mind with a tube unless you spend $200+ dollars on it then one should evaluate their stand on engines and how they work.

That doesn't mean anything. Just because someone sells you something that they say won't void a specific part of your warranty does not mean that holds them liable. Its up the consumer to read the contract thoroughly. For further note, messing with your ECU could definitely result in some unwillingness on Porsche's behalf. They don't want to fix your vehicle at their cost and if they can find a way out of it they will. Altering an ECU can have an impact on just about everything mechanical in your car, thus meaning anything mechanical breaking would more that likely not be covered if they discovered that your ECU was altered.

posted by  DSMer

Negatory, DSMer. Statute of fraud clearly states otherwise.

I will get out my Business-Law notes and post the specifics if you like. You can't give faulty information that A. you know is faulty or B. causes HARM. (meaning I get screwed)

Granted, it is for the state of NY but I am sure it is a universal concept.

Anyways, I'm still undecided on all this... I'm not sure what route to take to reach my objective.

posted by  Bronxie

I can assure you that suing a 3rd party company on breach of contract for a written agreement with a non-related 2nd party would not only be a waste of your time, but a futile attempt.

Automotive performance companies sell items all the time boasting claims of its reliability and performance output. There are also many laws protecting these companies. This is why you can't sue Greddy if one of their turbos blows your engine and your current warranty won't cover it. Have you ever read the disclaimer on some of these sites?

Ignorance is never an excuse to the law and you should never take the word of an unrelated business about the laws and contracts of another business. This is just common sense, don't be naive. These companies don't stay in business by giving away money.

posted by  DSMer

I wouldn't bother with it anyways, my time is not worth the money I would be fighting for.

To prove all this and take it to a court is not worth anyone's time.

I believe some warranties state that if a product is dealer installed, it's fair game.

I'm gonna check my warranty later tonight.

posted by  Bronxie

Your Message