Honda Accord EX

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Honda Accord EX

Hey I just got a 1998 Honda Accord.
I am thinking about getting a exhaust which one is cheap/reliable/performes well/soundsgood?
thannks

posted by  phoshiz

whats cheap?

posted by  mazda6man

Precisely, give us a $figure, we'll give you suggestions.

posted by  elchango36

I thought you were gonna get a prelude?

posted by  Spanky2324

I am getting a prelude. My friend has a accord ex and wants to hook it up he asked me for help. Cheap is around 300-400.

posted by  phoshiz

You can get a custom cat-back exhaust from a muffler shop pretty easily for that much, unless they're trying to rip you off. A local exhaust shop that I'm very pleased with let me walk away with a 2.75" MagnaFlow cat-back for $150. $200-$250 is probably the average going rate for a good exhaust shop, depending on how you get it done (single or dual outlet). As long as you go with a good brand resonator (Borla, Flowmaster, MagnaFlow, etc.) and don't just stick a fart can on the back it should give off a nice free-er flowing exhaust growl, rather than an obnoxious buzz.

As far as reliability, just make sure they use stainless steel pipes and resonator to prevent rusting, etc. Finding a reputable shop is of course, always a best bet. It shouldn't affect the reliability of your car any, though you may notice a slight increase in low end power and slightly quicker acceleration.

As for what size pipes and what type of muffler to use, that's pretty much up to the exhaust shop. They'll be able to tell you what size pipes would be best for your setup, and most of them I've seen deal exclusively in one brand of muffler. As long as it's one of the ones I mentioned above you should be safe.

posted by  hondaman

Is his Accord a V6? Does it have any other mods? Is he running a cat? Does he wanna keep the cat? Does he want a quiet or loud exhaust? What kind of performance is he looking to get?

posted by  elchango36

its not a v6 its a 4 cylinder. He doesnt have anything else but he is getting a intake after exhaust

posted by  phoshiz

Is he more performance oriented or does he just want an exhaust that will set off car alarms and piss of cops?

posted by  elchango36

he wants performance wise more than sound lol

posted by  phoshiz

If he's indeed serious about performance he's gonna need to spend more than $400. A nice exhaust won't help him that much with those restricive headers on his accord. Here's what I'd do...

DC 4-2-1 headers with 2.5 in. collector($350); Magnaflow high flow cat ($64), 20-23 in. resonator pipe (might have to do some searching, I got my 18 in. for $60), and either Mugen knock-off twin-loop muffler (got mine for $90) or universal Apexi WS2 ($200 for just the muffler, $429 for the 98-02 accord 4 cyl catback), and 2.5 in custom piping throughout (the price for this will vary from shop-to-shop, I'm getting mine done for $140, although I've been quoted upwards of $200). The most expensive part of this will be the headers, but they're worth it.

As for why those 2 muflers, they are the ,mufllers you can get for your $ in terms of performance/noise. I looked into RSR but A.) they don't make squat for the 4cyl. and B. it's just too expensive. Both the twin loop and the WS2 sound awesome and they're not loud.

If you factor out the headers and just get the magnaflow cat, resonator, mugen knock-off, and let's say $200 for the custom install, you're looking at about $414 based on my rough estimates. I'd still say save some more and get the headers. No point in paying twice for labor.:2cents:

posted by  elchango36

Your Message