Need help with deciding on first car

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Need help with deciding on first car

I need help with my first car, i've been seriously looking at buying a 1986 rx-7 with a bad engine for 400 dollars that i found on autotrader and sticking a 1989-1991 engine in it for 2500 so that i know the engine will last. i plan on using it for a daily driver and sum recreational racing at the track. anyone have any other suggestions or comments on my idea? i would like to keep it under 200HP so that insurance does not kill me because money is an issue.

posted by  f1luva92

You don't have to tell you insurance company about performance mods. They usually don't care and don't raise the rates if you try to tell them anyhow. Insurance companies are weird anyhow, they were quoting my nephew way more for an old 4 door Ford Tempo than Probe GTs and Preludes and such from the same year.

Anyhow, back on topic. Those rotary engines suck. They really do. They usually don't last longer than 80,000 miles on average. Stay away unless you plan on rebuilding.

posted by  PontiacFan27

really? i dint no that. i heard that they are known to last up to 200000 miles

posted by  f1luva92

See my reply to you in your other thread. There are warrantied rotaries out there, and if you go normally aspirated (stay away from the turbo versions) you'll do fine.

Of course, you could do what I did with MY RX7... But only if you have good fabricating skills.

posted by  ChrisV

I thought rotaries last longer because they have only 3 moving components in the engine.

posted by  Bronxie

i was planning on getting it naturally aspirated anyway, does that mean that that guy was wrong about them dying at 80,000 miles? i may be getting a 1984 vette instead that i found for 3400 i dont no wuts wrong with it yet so it all depends on that

posted by  f1luva92

Just because there are only three major moving parts doesn't mean that the ancillary bits don't wear out. The seals on the rotors are a major wear area, and lack of proper oiling, or overheating, can cause major issues. They don't like detonation at all, and one little ping can ruin an engine. Once you start making real power with them, the reliability goes out the window, as well. Stock, normally aspirated rotaries have been known to go over 250k miles with proper maintenance. Modded ones barely last at all.

My stock one died at 100k, but I don't know how it was treated before I got it. Since I had done a lot of rotaries in my day, I decided to do something different and swapped in a light V8. ;)

posted by  ChrisV

Are rotaries lighter also?

posted by  Bronxie

Bare, they are fairly light, all right. But, to give you an example, my 2nd gen RX7 with the V8 weighed in at 2720 lbs with the aluminum hood and a 6 point roll cage in addition to the V8. No other weight reduction/addition done.. A stock RX7 turbo from the same generation weighed in at 2800 lbs without the roll cage and with the rotary.

BTW, my weight distribution with the V8 was 49/51 f/r...

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message