toyota to buy out subaru

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  toyota to buy out subaru

Taken from another forum.

Apparently, subaru is owned by a company called FHI (Fujitsu Heavy Industries) which deals in shipping and heavy equipment and this may be the main incentive for the move.

Post thoughts.

posted by  Bronxie

I thought Subaru was owned by GM...Either way, I think both Subaru and Toyota could have a positive effect on each other.

posted by  chris_knows

Either toyota will become cool, or subaru will be driven by everyone looking for a general car. Toyota makes good cars, but the only people around here that drive them are from India, and there are my parents. It could be good, could be bad.

BTW I am not sure who is owned by who, but I am pretty sure Subaru is a Japanese brand.

posted by  newyorker

Subaru is Japanese, but that doesn't make a difference...Volvo is owned by Ford, but it's still a Swedish brand.

posted by  chris_knows

GM used to own a fair amount of Fuji Heavy Industries, but sold it a few years ago (that's why there aren't gonna be any more Saabarus).

Subaru, well Fuji, is it's own company... well I guess not really anymore.

Should be interesting to see what happens. I really love both companies so it should really be a perfect match. Maybe Toyota can fix the STI designs, let's pray.

posted by  StiMan

i got this off Wikipedia---It is currently an affiliate of Toyota Motor Corporation, with them owning 8.7% of FHI. They acquired that stake from General Motors, who bought 20% of FHI in 1999 to have an extended presence in international markets, and collaborate technologically with FHI.

clicky here-y (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru)

posted by  True_Brit

I cant see subaru making toyota "spicy"

I can totally see a Wrx STi hybrid :doh:

posted by  nighthawk

That's what the article is about. Toyota owns 8.7% but could not take control over the company due to Japanese anti-trust laws.

It is in toyota's best interest to try to give subaru a different image than toyota has. You don't want the two to directly compete.

posted by  Bronxie

that'll just ruin thier reputation of being a good performance saloon! a boxer that switches into electric mode under 30mph! nah, wont like it!

posted by  True_Brit

I can kind of see your point about that, but people do use them as everydays cars too ya know. A hybrid might be quite a good move for Toyotabaru....but not only at under 30mph, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

I hope the Impreza doesn't become the next Carrola. :evil:

posted by  greg985

I don't think he was being serious. Maybe a WRX Hybrid, but I don't think they would make the STi hybrid.

posted by  StiMan

Your Message