Eclipse engine question

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Eclipse engine question

i am looking into buying a 98' eclipse gsx. it is for sale for 5000 but the engine lower end has to be replaced. what does this mean and how much would it cost to get fixed? should i just look for a different car? it also has many mods. any info would be very much appreciated

posted by  hardwhite

i dont know what the engine lower end means, but i would say get another car. You said it's modded which means it was probably abused and thats why something happened to the engine.

posted by  V-Tec

Yeah, i would have to agree. If it is moded then it has beatin up for sure. Would this eclipse be ur first car? If so i would get something else first, just to get you from a to b. Then really think about gettin one if ur going to mod it out. I thought i was going to mod out my 03 eclipse, but now that i no what else to out there i wish i would have chosen a different car.

posted by  hkyplayer92

Alright first off from my perspective an eclipse gsx is one of the best cars around. Running low 12's for $700 is insane. Awd and turbo. Now as for your problem yeah if it's been modded a bit then this car has had it's run. You'll def need to rebuild the bottom end of the engine. It's pretty pricey but well worth it and I suggest when rebuilding to buy a harmonic balance shaft eliminator kit to take out that balance shaft that is useless. Good luck on your dsm and hope you buy it you won't regret it:thumbs:

Oh yeah one more thing this eclipse will knock the crap out of any other eclipse above 2000 aside from the 06 gt wich pulls 263hp.

posted by  Spanky2324

lower end = block and all internals.

posted by  PontiacFan27

yea i figured that if it wouldn't cost too much to fix then i'd get it and it was already modded which would save me money cuz they person said he put at least 5000 worth of mods into it. but if its gonna be expensive and complicated i'll just get one stock and mod it myself. and this is my third car now

posted by  hardwhite

thanx for all the info tho, i jsut didnt know what replacing the lower end was and no one i asked did either

posted by  hardwhite

Oh whoops gotta a little carried away without telling the rebuild part. He put $5000 in?? How much hp does the car have ? Ah and a question for you how fast are you trying to make this car???

posted by  Spanky2324

you said i could spend just $700 and make it a 12 second car. What would that 700 go to to do all that?

posted by  hardwhite

if you buy the car, i'd plan on replacing the engine w/ an earlier short block... the 95-99 motors have bad problems w/ crankwalk (just google it) and it doesn't seem that anyone really has a fix for it yet. hence the bad bottom end...

posted by  dodger65

OMG I hate the crankwalk and another problem is boost creep. As for the $700 idea you have to be a do it yourself type guy and know how on the 4g63 engine but it can be done.:thumbs: Have you decided what to do?

posted by  Spanky2324

Crankwalk isn't as common as everyone seems to believe.

The 6 bolt is a better engine, but it is NOT a direct swap. Either a kit or some fabrication IS required to put a 6 bolt in a 95-99.

The 6 bolt has lower compression pistons too, which is good. More boost.

Find a 16G on ebay, 16g flanges, bigger injectors, and Megasquirt. Install the turbo and injectors, and tune with Megasquirt. LOADS of power, for relatively cheap.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I'll translate Spanky's post for you hardwhite: HE DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE. He was talkin' out his ass, probably some shit he heard on Fast & Furious.

A 6 bolt swap isn't worth it. You haven't mentioned your budget, but if you're trying to buy a $5000 GSX hoping that it can be fixed, your budget isn't much and you aren't in the know.

If YOU buy this car, look to dump at least $4500 more bucks in it to get it running reliably.

Consider this: Few things are more fustrating in the automotive world then buying a car you like and not being able to drive it for MONTHS.

If I was your mom, I'd say keep looking.

posted by  What

No what it is you that doesn't know shit. It has been done so don't tell me. No I don't know how to do it but it can be done. I'm not gonna feed your stupidness

posted by  Spanky2324

Good job. But just for the sake of full disclosure, why don't you tell ME how you intend to make it into a 12 second car for $700. It may be true that that Twhat doesn't know shit, but I certainly do... And I'm betting that you're full of bullsh*t at worst or full of internet car modifying knowledge at best. Go ahead, the floor is yours. Tell me exactly how to do it, and don't forget to include links and prices. We'll all be waiting.

You're up Twinkie.

posted by  vwhobo

i moved on from the car with the messed up engine and found one completely except for exhaust with only 69,000 miles on the engine for 4300. so i'm gonna work from there

posted by  hardwhite

Hobo I don't know how to I'm telling you. I know I wouldn't be able to do it but I've "heard" of it being done because people start making there own parts for the cars. I apologize I should have been more clearer on my response that I "heard" it has been done but I will research it and get back to you on that if I can find it:thumbs: Anyways good job on finding another car hardwhite

posted by  Spanky2324

He tells you the same thing I told you except he called you a twinkie. He gets an apology, I get...anger. Maybe I need to start drinking his pimp juice, you bitch.

posted by  What

Hobo gains respect from me cause I know he knows what hes talking about while you on the other hand are just flat out stupid

posted by  Spanky2324

I'm confident I have more experience with the 2G GSX than Hobo does. Very confident.

posted by  What

well what would be the best thing for me to get for it first, something simple and cheap, something i could put on

posted by  hardwhite

you can take out the airbox and put a cone filter in.

posted by  Spanky2324

Also, people who claim to have made their Eclipses run 12s for $700 usually completely strip the interior, remove all seats but the drivers, A/C, blah blah blah. Plus, they usually have either gotten parts for free, already had them laying around, or have sponsors of some sort.

They say $700 is what it cost them, but it cost somebody more than that.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Yes you can, which will cost you about two tenths in the quarter. Why do pinheads think running hot air from under the hood is more efficient and faster than running the stock box with the cold air duct in place. It isn't and I've (we've) personally done the tests to prove it.

posted by  vwhobo

come on hobo, it make them sound "cooler". didnt you know, looks and sound constitute 95% of hp!!! :orglaugh: :orglaugh: :orglaugh:

posted by  glagon1979

ok then, since there was so much debate about that, what could i put in it that would give me the most power?

posted by  hardwhite

Only thing I can say is DSM.ORG or for a used motor car-parts .com. I have (modded) several of these motors. The more ponies the less longivitey. 450 hp at the wheels in awd and a lifespan of about 3000 km or roughly 2200 miles. Reliable? No, but one heck of a lot of fun on rallies. 248kph in 1/2 mile. it still only did high 13`s and broke clutches and trans bellhousings. There is no support at the back of the trans to handle the power and it cracks making the clutch next to useless

posted by  talon699

You could always buy one of Shep's Tranny kits. You know, the ones he has run 8s with.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Talon699 Knows his shit one thing everyone here is forgetting about when it comes to dsm is how much fun you can get out of a $50 dollar boost controller just but turning it 3psi to 15psi (if you want more change your damn head gasket), as well as a nice 3in exhaust and yet a intake not jsut cone filter but the full intake system Injen for 2g's and Dejon Tool for 1g's. and whoever said that the ^bolt swap isant worth is is a fucking retard there is a reason why David Bucher of Bucher racing only sells 6 bolts int here race motors... heavier crank beefer rods a.k.a Zero crankwalk and you do not need fabrication me and my buddy swapped a 6 bolt in his talon in one night no fabrication needed just rewiring a few things and drilling a extra few holes in the oil pump assembly soooo def worth the spent $ if you know what the hell ur doing. . But anyways u you be suprise how many things you will desimate on the street with 15psi with exhaust and intake system. you can run 18psi sucsessfully with a walbro 255 fuel pump upgrade for 98 bucks anymore boost and your looking at getting injectors, fuel pressure regulator, bigger lines and some DSM link i wouldnt use anything else bud DSM link or the AEM stand alone ECU. But 12's for 700 bucks......only if your a do it yourself kind of guy and have friends that have built them as well with parts laying around(which lets face it if you own a dsm you prob have a graveyard of them in your backyard....such as myself) such as PontiacFan 27 already posted. he knows what hes saying as well. BTW all of this knowledge isant being pulled out of my ass its from experience with building these cars i have two of them running 300 hp and they start every time i turn the key but you gotta take the time to maintain your car and watch and listen to what it does when u drive it......a little but of TLC goes along way with these cars...treat them like a whore and u will regret it it.

90GSX   18 Jul 2012 02:13

Your Message